Post pics of your builds....
Mar 11, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #7,816 of 9,811
Follow up of the regulator, the phono preamp. Nothing too fancy, it's for an entry level setup (td166+AT95e). Filter caps are FKP, FKC (filter values are similar to those used by Grado, they give more attenuation under 20hz than those of the VSPS for example, for less rumble). Output caps are polyprop. All metal film resistors, op134 as opamps.

Those two were my first attempt at deadbug with ICs and it's really fun.
tongue_smile.gif

And the mandatory schematic:

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #7,817 of 9,811
Just got the front panels back today for my Dynamid (4 channel Dynalo) and Sigma22-based PSU. I started designing this build back in September and, while I'm often limited by funds, it should be finished in a few months if all goes well.

The milling and painting was done by Schaeffer (the German branch of Front Panel Express) and I'm really pleased with the way they turned out. I don't know how Schaeffer do the infill on the text but it's superb quality and looks every bit as good as a proper silkscreen print. I had a couple of minor CAD errors such as not allowing enough tolerance for the LCD screen in the power supply panel but I think I can fix that with some gentle filing (on the screen, not the panel).

The next step is to get my backplane PCBs fabbed and then I should be able to finish assembly, not in time for the 2011 UK meet sadly.

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #7,819 of 9,811
Hi, I am just a week old in this forum. Just introducing myself with my project: ps-1 rebirth
I've been an audiophile for about 3 years now and own a stereo system consists of krell kav 300i, conrad johnson mf2200, modded kef q5. linn axis, rega planet wadia 170i+musical fidelity xdac v3
recently, I acquired a sennheiser hd280 due to impulse purchase. Then I decided to build my 2nd stereo (headphone stereo system) for my study desk. I bought headroom little as an amp. I think it sounds real good for a headphone amp. As the source, I decided to use sony playstation 1 inspired by this review by 6moon:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/leben2/system_3.html
that review basically says some audiophiles use ps-1 as a reference cd player and the sound is comparable to a 6000 dollars cd player. I bought the ps1 with rca jack at the back version for 16 bucks from the nearest thrift store. I really like the sound it produced but hate the look, very un-audiophily. Then, I decided to use a wooden picture frame to re-case the ps-1. The result is as below:

early stage of transformation: red circle is separated psu and the black circle is the cd player itself with the joypad inside as controller:

My headphone stereo system: done(i upgraded the headphones to senn hd580):

I'm very happy with the performance of this system that I listen to it more than my main stereo. below is the video of its sound from my main stereo system(sorry, my 60 dollars camera is really bad at recording sound ):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8iku2bk7yw

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #7,820 of 9,811
The chassis is a DACT CT-encl1, although they're all sold out now. I picked up two of the black enclosures while they were on sale.

The panels bolt on to thinner, secondary front panels that sit just behind them - this is using threads that are drilled into the rear-side of the panel so there aren't any visible mounting points on the front.

Quote:
That's a good looking set of panels, with nice chassis to match! Where did you get the chassis from? Also, how are you securing the panels to the chassis?

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #7,821 of 9,811
Finished yesterday : cmoy in a old PC ( Siemens ) PSU "improved" with wooden face and sides ( stained and oiled ) . Inside standard cmoy ( 6 gain , 10k pot , 0.47uF Wima input caps,

+/- 12 volts stabilized power supply ) ; for now it has a njm(jrc)4556 but it's socketed and I ordered opa2132pa ( but I have to wait two weeks for it 
frown.gif
 ) . Worked well at first try : no hiss , no hum , no oscillation ( checked with the oscilloscope ) and it sounds pretty good ( I expect the sound will improve  in about two weeks 
wink.gif
 ).

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #7,822 of 9,811

Quote:
The chassis is a DACT CT-encl1, although they're all sold out now. I picked up two of the black enclosures while they were on sale.

The panels bolt on to thinner, secondary front panels that sit just behind them - this is using threads that are drilled into the rear-side of the panel so there aren't any visible mounting points on the front.

Cool! Thanks a whole bunch. :)

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #7,823 of 9,811

Hey everyone, I got my B22 finished and cased up this weekend. Been listening to it for about 6 hours so far today with my hd600s and it sounds awesome! Source is the gamma2. Here are some pics:

Using software volume control for now since I am planning on using the alpha 10 for it eventually. If you notice the sigma 10 power supply for the alpha 10 is in the same case as the sigma 22 for the beta 22. The build includes an epsilon 24 switch driver, a 3 channel active ground beta 22 on the epsilon 22 backplane, and an epsilon 12 muting and offset protection.

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #7,824 of 9,811
Recased (and rerouted signal path) Vulcan (BH variant). PSU by Kerry, Case black walnut.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #7,827 of 9,811
Not very, but I haven't run it for long periods yet. Waiting on a set of cables (RCA to XLR)  to test with on a cheap CDP. Just a couple more days hopefully. But, it surely looks different now that what is shown in my Vulcan link.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #7,829 of 9,811
Bottlehead S.E.X. Kit featuring:

1. MagneQuest Transformers
  2. C4S Upgrade
  3. Cardas / Kimber / Neotech wiring
  4. Film power bypass caps
  5. Cardas RCAs and copper binding posts
  6. Neutrik locking plug
  7. Kiwame and Shinkoh resistors in a few places
  8. Teflon tube sockets and PCBs
  9. Vintage pilot light
  10. GoldPoint stepped attenuator