Post pics of your builds....
Mar 9, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #6,556 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow Beefy , that is very elegant.

I am looking for some inspiration on how to finish this up, perhaps I need to tap into the collective creativity of this community. Sound is FANTASTIC but it looks like it was built to kill Daleks
wink.gif

ohyes!

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #6,559 of 9,811
just finished up braiding and wiring up my old hd201's
icon10.gif
its an acoustic research rca interconnect stripped and braided. cable cost $12 and definitely sounds better than stock, by better i mean a little warmer and punchier bass. the rest of the sq remained bout the same. its a flat litz btw, kinda looks like a candy cane! cant wait to see what kind of goofy looks i'll get on campus with these cables haha. cheers, Marc

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #6,561 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmayer167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just finished up braiding and wiring up my old hd201's
icon10.gif
its an acoustic research rca interconnect stripped and braided. cable cost $12 and definitely sounds better than stock, by better i mean a little warmer and punchier bass. the rest of the sq remained bout the same. its a flat litz btw, kinda looks like a candy cane! cant wait to see what kind of goofy looks i'll get on campus with these cables haha. cheers, Marc

What do you plug that into?

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #6,562 of 9,811
^ the rca outs of my uDAC or an rca to mini adapter. i just didnt have an extra plug laying around to terminate it with. the project took me bout 45 min to do including stripping the casing off and re braiding and soldering... fun afternoon project
wink.gif
PS. malldian i noticed you had a blog about Bon Iver, I went to the same highschool 2 years under justin! he is a really cool guy and his cabin is a few miles south of the home i grew up at in wisconsin. Blood bank their newer work is also good.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #6,563 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow Beefy , that is very elegant.

I am looking for some inspiration on how to finish this up, perhaps I need to tap into the collective creativity of this community. Sound is FANTASTIC but it looks like it was built to kill Daleks
wink.gif

e2d2front.jpg

..dB

Lucy, You got some 'splaining to do..

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #6,564 of 9,811
You'll have to excuse the picture quality as i only had my webcam as I had forgot to bring my Canon digicam along on my trip..

My first ever DIY project.

An active 3 way speaker system. Completely built by me with help from a mentor who manufactures speakers for a living in my hometown of Bangalore ( Arasu from Laya Acoustics).
I remember working on this even on the day i was due to leave to the US over 3.5 years ago. Only now am I getting the chance to enjoy (albeit for only a few days) the fruits of 2 years of blood sweat and tears.

I must say they sound effing great for something built by a complete novice at the time.
At the initial planning stages I was written off when i made my plans for this project known saying that it was too ambitious for a first ever DIY build. I loved building this thing every step of the way though there were times when i just wanted to trash it all
tongue.gif
(like when the amp lost a transformer and i had to redo it completely including replacing 4 amplifier channels).

Total cost incurred was about 1000$ including speaker cabinets, drivers (Vifa D27 tweeters, Scan Speak 13M/8640 paper cone midrange drivers, dayton 10 inch classic woofers), amplifier chassis, 7 channels of gainclone amplification (LM3875 for highs, LM4080 in bridged mode for mids and lows, OPA541 for a center channel in case i want to move this to my HT here) and 3 way active xover which is housed inside the amplifier chassis (Linkwitz 24dB/octave).

picture005qs.jpg

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #6,567 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by vixr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
diamondbuffer.jpg

Looks like you don't have much SMD soldering experience. Just saying, because I have almost zero exp on SMD and I would still expect to get something like that done. But it works, right?
tongue_smile.gif

btw. how you intend to put that to use?

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #6,568 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacehead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like you don't have much SMD soldering experience. Just saying, because I have almost zero exp on SMD and I would still expect to get something like that done. But it works, right?
tongue_smile.gif

btw. how you intend to put that to use?

hahahahaaa...my eyes are not what they used to be...
redface.gif

I'm thinking about trying them in a Millett hybrid just for grins...

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #6,569 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by vixr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahahahaaa...my eyes are not what they used to be...
redface.gif

I'm thinking about trying them in a Millett hybrid just for grins...

Ah gee, they look fine for a first go. Let us know how they work in the Millett!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #6,570 of 9,811
vixr;6470956 said:
some diamond buffers I just finished building...got the PCBs from Per-Anders at no cost. He did have a small favor to ask though...

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/vixr/diamondbuffe

[IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/vixr/bufferback.jQUOTE]

Posting pictures so these get some attention probably...[img]http://www.head-fi.org/forums/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back