Post pics of your builds....
Mar 9, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #6,541 of 9,811
My completed beta Exstata solid state. First some photos......

exfrd.jpg

exbkd.jpg

exfr.jpg

exbk.jpg

exglam.jpg

Tech highlights:
Parts essentially as per the Exstata BOM
JFETs matched within 2% for both IDSS and Vgs @ 1mA
HiFi2000 Pesante 2U 300mm deep case
FPE panels front (6mm) and back (4mm)
Integrated IEC inlet with DPDT switch, double fused and filter
AMB's E24 with SSR for mains power switching
Custom fully shielded and encapsulated amplifier transformer from SumR
Dual PGA2320 volume control with rotary encoder
Rotary encoder has push button for mute
Volume control powered by a TPA LCBPS, but with holes drilled for potential upgrade to TPA Placid BP
Amveco 62043 transformer supplying the LCBPS
Machined teflon Stax jacks
Neutrik XLR inputs
Belden hookup wire for all the HV

I still need to install the pro bias supply, some support struts coupling the bottom and top plates, and I have to chase down a gremlin in the power supply that makes it physically buzz for a few seconds on startup...... but it is otherwise complete. It sounds great with my Lambda normal bias; much better than the previous SRD7-SB energizer powered by a t-amp. So a big thanks to Alex for inviting me into the beta program, and I really hope that this amp gets an official release to the wider community.

Also, big thanks to luvdunhill for supplying the volume control and Stax jacks. I can't stress enough how awesome the volume control is...... it has an incredible range, precise 0.5dB steps and perfect channel matching. None of the drawbacks of traditional pots, steppers or relays and my tin ears certainly don't pick up any negative effect on sound quality from what is essentially an OPAMP right there at the start of the signal path. And the Stax jacks are just fantastic - the finished product wouldn't have looked half as nice with anything else.

Thanks for looking!
smily_headphones1.gif

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #6,543 of 9,811
Wow Beefy , that is very elegant.

I am looking for some inspiration on how to finish this up, perhaps I need to tap into the collective creativity of this community. Sound is FANTASTIC but it looks like it was built to kill Daleks
wink.gif

e2d2front.jpg

..dB

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #6,545 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am looking for some inspiration on how to finish this up, perhaps I need to tap into the collective creativity of this community. Sound is FANTASTIC but it looks like it was built to kill Daleks
wink.gif

..dB

Tell us what where lookin’ at first, I have a good idea. lol. More info and tech highlights please!

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #6,547 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that 'industrial' looking

Quote:

that is very elegant.

Industrial and elegant at the same time? My brain just kerploded!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #6,548 of 9,811
Beefy that is very sexy~
I love the dual teflon jacks!

I didn't realize you were only getting the volume control; I thought you were doing the whole shamooze.

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #6,549 of 9,811
Quote:

wink.gif

e2d2front.jpg

..dB

Oh, Superb! That description gave me such a good laugh! Thanks!

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #6,552 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beefy that is very sexy~
I love the dual teflon jacks!

I didn't realize you were only getting the volume control; I thought you were doing the whole shamooze.

Could have sworn I replied to this..... but apparently not
confused.gif

Yep, just the volume control. But I do have a second one, so never say never!
smily_headphones1.gif

But realistically, if I manage to find some spare money somewhere - unlikely over the next year, screw you Canadian government! - rather than building a new amp I will recase my M3 in the same style as the Exstata and Buffalo and add the volume control to that.

My Balanced DAC, Electrostatic Amp and Dynamic Amp all in one big stack would be pretty sweet......

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #6,553 of 9,811
Hehe that's the reason I try not to buy two of everything... just gives me an excuse to start some other money and time black hole.

I can't wait to see how you style the m3 then!

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #6,554 of 9,811
Quote:

wink.gif

..dB

If it will fit, an old-style chromed toaster is the logical choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back