Post pics of your builds....
Sep 21, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #3,631 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
latching or momentary? did you build a circuit to use it?

I think it is momentary. I didn't need to build a circuit. As it happened, I got a SMPS from someone that had a broken ext HD. When I cut off the end plug that was also broken, I found 4 wires. 2 gave me the 12v power for the amp and another 2 gave off 5v so all I had to do was add a resistor in line. When the switch is pushed in, it is much less bright so I just made it so the pushed out position is on. Basically the LED is always on when the amp is plugged in.

I like how the case turned out but it seemed to take a long time to make it. In the future I probably won't spend the same time on a case. Too bad my next builds will likely house better stuff electronically. I plan on making a SOHA II and gainclone. I think I will just get a black hammond case and a black vandal switch. It should still look nice but not as work intensive.

When I wire up my Starving Student Millet, I will have to do it differently. There is a pic on the bottom for the wiring tabs. Here is the link for it:
http://www.gammods.com.au/store/inde...roducts_id=355

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #3,632 of 9,811
Stereo buffers on a protoboard. Simple stuff with BD139/140 outputs and diode biasing. There is an attempt at a DC offset servo in between. Can you spot the deliberate mistake(!) in this pic?
Post.jpg

Anyway tried it out as a Soha (mk 1) buffer and it sounds pretty good, quite bright but not unpleasant. A bit of extraneous/stray noise mind you.

Funny thing about the servo, once I'd wired it's inputs and outputs the right way round. With it offset is 30+100mV. Without it it's 1+3mV.
darthsmile.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #3,634 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... what's that UFO at second pic?
smily_headphones1.gif

since you asked, it is an 832 and here is a photo of the amp:

832p-p.jpg

Here's one of my 6AU6/6AQ5 amp too:
6au6-6aq5amp.jpg

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #3,635 of 9,811
Cool amps!

There was a talk about MOSFET amps and orthos in this Ortho thread awhile back so I figure I can showoff my new MOSFET amp in this thread as well. It sounds awesome with all of my headphones, but my YH-1, HP-50S and surprisingly QP85
jecklinsmile.gif
really wake up with this amp. I good friend made it for me, as I am not very handy with the soldering iron.
wink_face.gif

Shark_amp_face.jpg

Linky to pics and simplified schematic

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #3,636 of 9,811
F2D , you are leaving out all the juicy tidbits - folk want to know about the gold nuggets in your mosfets :wink: ..dB

ps said this before , but seriously cool. Those transistors alone command respect

@ kuroguy - excellent craftmanship

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #3,637 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
F2D , you are leaving out all the juicy tidbits - folk want to know about the gold nuggets in your mosfets :wink: ..dB

ps said this before , but seriously cool. Those transistors alone command respect

jecklinsmile.gif
Thanks a ton. The transistors are indeed very interesting, but most importantly they sound great.

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #3,638 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Millet 'Starving Student'

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

Nice! I really want to build one of these guys.

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #3,640 of 9,811
Very elegant as always, Ferrari. I'm a huge fan of the rounded corners.

Sep 25, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #3,642 of 9,811
Hello,
Forum newbie here. I've been on headwize for a long while so it's about time I posted here. Some of the beautiful amps in this thread really make mine look basic.

Ruggedized SOHA:
SOHA1a.jpg

SOHA1b.jpg

SOHA1d.jpg

See-through CMoy:
CMoy1aR.jpg

CMoy1bR.jpg

A few of my tubes. The 6067 is compatible with the SOHA and sounds quite nice.
Tubes1.jpg

Sep 26, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #3,643 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My most recent work in progress…

Wow. Beautiful as always, Ferrari. Such clean work!

Sep 26, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #3,644 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. Beautiful as always, Ferrari. Such clean work!

Thanks bhjazz!
I was manage to complete the case work & re-testing of this amp today.
It sounds by far superior to any hybrid amps I have ever built in the past.

Afbeelding548.jpg

a pic during testing

P1010218.jpg

... and a night shot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back