Post Deletions. Member's Lounge: What's the Law?
Apr 20, 2004 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
So what can we post in the member's lounge now?

Yesterday, at the close of Certifiable Inane, I posted a thread which asked the question: What is your first thought on seeing a beautiful woman?

It was the sort of question you used to see in the Member's Lounge prior the Certifiable Inane. Just a fun question to break the tedium. I wanted to test the waters, so to speak.

I see the post was deleted.

Is that how the mods are now handling the Member's Lounge. If they don't think it belongs here, they delete it? What are the rules now?

I look forward to seeing the old-style Member Lounge where pretty much anything useful or fun could be talked about. The reason for CI was that people abused their number of posts and I don't see why we can't have fun in moderation.

Apr 20, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 4
Good Question.

We are currently discussing exactly what the rules will be and something will be posted shortly. I can tell you that seeing how far you can push before someone pushes back is not a game you want to enter into. We hope that the Members Lounge can be a fun place for all. That requires some common sense and above all showing consideration for others. Both are difficult to set out in a series of rules. Useless is also a difficult concept for some to grasp and the posting habits of some tend to make it difficult for the group as a whole. Where an off handed useless comment may be funny, 20 a day is just annoying. It is like being around people that talk just to hear themselves talk.

Apr 20, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 4
some specifics i would like clarified is what's going to be the policy on the following:

favorite product threads (eg favorite beer, favorite chinese food)
non-audio activity threads (eg cars, cycling)
sports threads (go lakers
tongue.gif
)
media threads (tv, movies and the like)
tuberoller style rants (not political or religious, just annoyances)
relationship rants
women we love in the media
post milestones
good bye threads

Apr 20, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 4
The following is my personal opinion and in no way reflects the policies of Head-Fi

Goose I see nothing wrong with any of the subjects you list. Where I have a problem is when they are taken to the extreme. When someone creates 20 threads in the course of 8 hours half of them polls it is a bit much. Common sense would dictate that no one is interested in multiple polls that are posted within minutes of each other by the same person that are a minor variation of a theme; favorite Raman, mustard, soda, condiment, etc. Any of those subjects on their own seem fine to me but be reasonable. There are no awards for monopolizing a forum or posting in every thread. Here is where common sense must take over. No one can set limits like you can create a thread every 2 hours. Now some may argue that they are truly interested in every subject they post about. This may be true, however, this is where consideration for others in the community comes into play. Another thing I have noticed is that some of the posters that have annoyed me the most really have a contribution to make to this place. They just need to slow down and replace quantity with quality. I have made stupid one line posts, I think we all have but I don't make it a point to hit every new thread with one. A bit of a ramble but does this make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back