Post counts and "reply gnomes"
Mar 30, 2004 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

TrevorNetwork

TrevorNetwork - Canadian Group Buy Coordinator
Is it just me or a trend beginning toward many useless replies in threads? It seems that there is an increased emphasis on post count. It seems that the "reply gnomes" will reply to every thread regardless of whether said user has anything useful to say. By useful, I mean replies that do not include hearsay, stupidty, or outright lies. I mean, I get a kick out of whitty replies, or the occasional dry humour, but is this getting out of hand? It seems the mentality is as follows:

...I want a higher post count / want people to recognize my name or avatar...

... I can't think of a topic that would interest people...

...Even for the lounge...

...Ahh! a topic in "Amplification I can reply to"...

<keys in a post that's useless> (For my definition of "useless" see above

...Ahh! a topic in "Headphones" that I can reply to"...

<keys in yet another useless post>

...Looks at post count...

<repeats verbatim until a "Pinnacle" of some sort is reached.> A pinnacle is a number that sounds good in the poster's mind.

Am I the only one that feels this way? It seems there are way too many useless replies. I'm all but positive the mentality is as I outlined above. Oddly enough, I'm more annoyed by useless replies that keep should-be-dead-threads up at the top than I am but repeated, unresearched, dare I say inane questions. Atleast the poster of the thread had something almost useful to say, and had the guts to post a thread!

/rant

Mar 30, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 74
C'mon you're asking for it!

Smart @sses will flock in droves!
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Mar 30, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 74
Repeat after me, "this is why I have an Ignore List". It's a truly wonderful feature if I may say so myself, keeps things nice & tidy and relatively spam free for me.

On any message board there will invariably be some "post racing", where numbnuts race to get their postcounts up. Some boards have a wonderful feature, you can reset the offending member's count to zero, which does wonders to discourage post racing. Really fun when the admin whack the sucker right before he gets to a new level.

Mar 30, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 74
Quote:

I hate how one song is so soft, and then the next on my playlist is booming...
i used mp3gain but it doesnt even seem to work, and it cant "gain" alot of the files due to some error ish...

someone give me a solution becuase this is getting annoying

Jisi, what you're talking about is called normalize. i recommend living with the mp3 as is. by doing any gain to the songs, they tend to change the sound's characteristic and often cause distortion in the music. not a good idea.

...oh, wrong thread, sorry.

Mar 30, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 74
What post count? Who cares about that? I just post as a way to avoid doing the real world stuff I need to be doing RIGHT NOW!

Oh, but I don't make useless posts, so this can't have anything to do with me anyways....
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 74
Seeing as Head-Fi has had uptime problems lately, let's try and keep the useless posts to a minimum. Maybe the less posting traffic will contribute to a more reliable site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back