Post CanJam Withdrawals? in SoCal? We Got You Covered on 10/1/2022! (Head-Fi Meet by Rosson Audio)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #61 of 68
Am so glad I got to meet Alexis from Musicians Hearing Solutions, who brought the IEMs to our meetup on October 1st and told us about the consulting firm in Beverly Hills. This afternoon (Thursday, Oct. 27th), I just got my ear-impression molds made there, and got my Jerry Harvey Sharonas ordered, along with a pair of custom musician earplugs and custom sleep earplugs!

Great, professional, and friendly service. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

The real question is: Do they have enough bass for @DiscoProJoe?

Oct 31, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #62 of 68
Never enough!! His V-Moda M-100 were literally rattling my whole head.

Oct 31, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #63 of 68
Nov 1, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #64 of 68
The real question is: Do they have enough bass for @DiscoProJoe?

They may not be able to "shake" like the M-100s, but can definitely handle the power and deliver a solid and detailed low end.

However, once I receive my new Sharonas, I'll only be hooking them up to my portable headphone rig just once to make sure they sound good with it and can handle the power. (And then...just once more the first time I take a flight with them...in order to hear how they sound on an airplane.)

Besides that, I don't want to put this kind of long-term wear-and-tear on my super-expensive Sharonas. Once every few years, one of the drivers in my M-100s tends to eventually get blown, due to the excursion and power they have to endure long-term.

I'll mostly just be plugging my Sharonas into DJ deck(s) (for both practicing and performing), and occasionally, into my laptop. If I'm singing my songs on a big stage at a music show, then I'm assuming I'd have my Sharonas plugged into some kind of monitoring system for that.

But, yeah...the purpose of getting these isn't really for my portable headphone rig with DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets; it's for live performances in loud environments. Especially for DJ'ing -- as I'm constantly adjusting the treble, mids, bass, and deck-input levels on the mixer throughout the performance to keep it sounding good. Gotta hear exactly what I'm doing with the music! And I'm afraid that over-ear and on-ear headphones can't block out enough noise to make this work for me.

Of all JH headphones, I think Sharona's are not lacking in the bass factor. More than enough and there's always EQ!

During the demo at the consulting firm last Thursday, she showed me how to adjust the bass for the left and right sides, using the screws on the tiny in-line device on the earphone cable. For me, it definitely sounded best with both of them set to flat at 12 o'clock on the dials. I'll be using the mixer on the DJ decks to adjust the sound for them, instead, which will translate into how the music sounds on the speakers and/or the big sound system.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #66 of 68
They may not be able to "shake" like the M-100s, but can definitely handle the power and deliver a solid and detailed low end.

However, once I receive my new Sharonas, I'll only be hooking them up to my portable headphone rig just once to make sure they sound good with it and can handle the power. (And then...just once more the first time I take a flight with them...in order to hear how they sound on an airplane.)

Besides that, I don't want to put this kind of long-term wear-and-tear on my super-expensive Sharonas. Once every few years, one of the drivers in my M-100s tends to eventually get blown, due to the excursion and power they have to endure long-term.

I'll mostly just be plugging my Sharonas into DJ deck(s) (for both practicing and performing), and occasionally, into my laptop. If I'm singing my songs on a big stage at a music show, then I'm assuming I'd have my Sharonas plugged into some kind of monitoring system for that.

But, yeah...the purpose of getting these isn't really for my portable headphone rig with DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets; it's for live performances in loud environments. Especially for DJ'ing -- as I'm constantly adjusting the treble, mids, bass, and deck-input levels on the mixer throughout the performance to keep it sounding good. Gotta hear exactly what I'm doing with the music! And I'm afraid that over-ear and on-ear headphones can't block out enough noise to make this work for me.

During the demo at the consulting firm last Thursday, she showed me how to adjust the bass for the left and right sides, using the screws on the tiny in-line device on the earphone cable. For me, it definitely sounded best with both of them set to flat at 12 o'clock on the dials. I'll be using the mixer on the DJ decks to adjust the sound for them, instead, which will translate into how the music sounds on the speakers and/or the big sound system.
I recommend turning the bass attenuators on the cable all the way to the right when using your Sharonas in a mixing environment. Do all of the EQing via the mixer and leave the attenuator tuned as intended for the most accurate representation of your mix. The bass attenuator is more for casual listening sessions where the user may want to adjust the bass attenuation depending on the style of music being listened to.

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #67 of 68
I recommend turning the bass attenuators on the cable all the way to the right when using your Sharonas in a mixing environment. Do all of the EQing via the mixer and leave the attenuator tuned as intended for the most accurate representation of your mix. The bass attenuator is more for casual listening sessions where the user may want to adjust the bass attenuation depending on the style of music being listened to.

Is the neutral setting all the way to the right? Or is it at 12 o'clock?

I'll have to compare different songs with it, once I receive my custom-fitted pair.

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #68 of 68
Totally missed this one but would love to attend and bring my setup to another one of these for y'all to try. I'll be sure to keep an eye out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back