Post-Apocalypse Music
Mar 4, 2006 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Doc Sarvis

1000+ Head-Fier
I started out thinking about what one piece of classical music (irrespective of recording) would I want on a desert island. Then my thought morphed a bit - what piece of music (classical or otherwise) would I want to use as the basis for a new society? Forget about the recording for a moment - just focus on the music itself.

I'll take the easy one: Beethoven's 9th (complete with translations of the lyrics). It's already been used to start a society or two.

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
I started out thinking about what one piece of classical music (irrespective of recording) would I want on a desert island. Then my thought morphed a bit - what piece of music (classical or otherwise) would I want to use as the basis for a new society? Forget about the recording for a moment - just focus on the music itself.

I'll take the easy one: Beethoven's 9th (complete with translations of the lyrics). It's already been used to start a society or two.

My first thought would have been Also Sprach Zarathustra, thanks to Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C.Clarke's vision of a dawn a new humanity.

My association to Beethoven's 9th is also via Kubrick, and it is ugly (mind control in Clockwork Orange).

How about Bach's Kunst der Fugue for orderliness? Or Coltrane's Love Supreme for spiritualism?

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 18
Someone is gonna suggest that new Bach aria, "Alles mit Gott und nichts ohn' ihn", but it sure as Hell won't be me ^^

Maybe I will stick with Bach and pick the Brandenburgs. Lots of dialogue and diversity going on there...

Mar 5, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 18
The Wyld Stallions first televised performance has been demonstrated to be a good basis of a society. mmm...day glow...

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 18
Miles Davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson

It's just got elements of basically everything in it, fun to listen to, and a great album to boot.

Just for fun, try building a society with some Cecil Taylor or maybe Metallica or something.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 18
Stevie Wonder's version of the Beatles "We Can Work It Out". Upbeat song craftsmanship with a perfect message about keeping things in perspective. If everybody kept this piece of musical mastery in mind all the time, we wouldn't need to rebuild society, it would be perfect as it is........

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 18
Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen. A veritable how-not-to for running a happy, stable society. Of course, the "love conquers all" message of the cycle will keep some people happy.

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 18
R.E.M.'s "Its the End of the Wold as We Know it (and I Feel Fine)"

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #13 of 18
"Trans-Euro Express" Of course, I'm assuming you'll be rebuilding it with cyborgs.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 18
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F# A# infinity

I'm come across no darker album but its got light and hope in it too if you know how to look for it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back