Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Sep 5, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #2,281 of 5,377
There's a lot of phono stages with balanced outs. Balanced ins are the unicorn.

Also, I was reading about this the other day and I still don't get it.

It's not a DAC. ADC, fine, but the marketting basically make it sound like you'd want to listen to your LPs in DSD directly through a DAC.

Why the hell wouldn't you just listen to the analog?

Am I missing something?

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #2,282 of 5,377
I believe it's for recording purposes. Transcribing the analog vinyl into a digital file. Some people would be very interested in this because you can play back vinyl in high-res on different systems.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #2,283 of 5,377
I believe it's for recording purposes. Transcribing the analog vinyl into a digital file. Some people would be very interested in this because you can play back vinyl in high-res on different systems.

Oh no I understand that but every time I read the marketing jargon it makes me think they want you to play it directly. Like feed I2S to another DAC. There's a few features I don't see the point of having on this thing.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #2,284 of 5,377
Atma-Sphere has been making fully balanced pre-amps with phono stages for many years.  I know, I used to own their MP-3.  Since cartridges are inherently balanced, it makes sense.  

I wonder what a small scratch would sound like in DSD.
blink.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #2,285 of 5,377
Oh no I understand that but every time I read the marketing jargon it makes me think they want you to play it directly. Like feed I2S to another DAC. There's a few features I don't see the point of having on this thing.

I've felt the same way about the way it has been presented....listen to any analog source on your DAC of choice!  But other than archiving, why the heck would anyone want to digitize an analog signal only to decode again immediately on another DAC doesn't make much sense to me either.

I think this is another step to unifying preamp, A/D and D/A in one box while keeping options for the vinyl spinners available.

Interesting gear, odd marketing I guess.

Hi-Five

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #2,286 of 5,377
Going A-D-A for real-time vinyl playback seems a bit sacrilegious to me. I really doubt any vinyl junkie would want to do this.

Vinyl archiving is a different story. I do high-res vinyl rips and love that I can play back my favorite lps on digital systems without wearing out valuable lps. That's what I would use it for.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #2,287 of 5,377
Going A-D-A for real-time vinyl playback seems a bit sacrilegious to me. I really doubt any vinyl junkie would want to do this.

Vinyl archiving is a different story. I do high-res vinyl rips and love that I can play back my favorite lps on digital systems without wearing out valuable lps. That's what I would use it for.

I'm pretty interested in it for archival purposes.

I need a new phono stage, and I want a good ADC for needle drops...BUT I could get a Hilo and get a killer DAC and ADC, but then I'd have to get a new phono stage anyway.

I was also less than impressed with the last PS Audio phono stage I heard. Might wait for review...might end up with one. Guess we'll see.

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #2,288 of 5,377
I'm pretty interested in it for archival purposes.

I need a new phono stage, and I want a good ADC for needle drops...BUT I could get a Hilo and get a killer DAC and ADC, but then I'd have to get a new phono stage anyway.

I was also less than impressed with the last PS Audio phono stage I heard. Might wait for review...might end up with one. Guess we'll see.

Definitely worth a look if one doesn't already have a nice phono pre.  We'll have to see how it sounds.  One could certainly get a nice A/D for that kind of money.  I haven't tried it yet, but I really should start ripping some of my vinyl using my Apogee Ensemble.  The Decware ZP3 and a choice set of tubes might make for some pretty good sound into those sweet Apogee converters!

To keep it a picture thread, here's a "first spin" shot of my friend's band's new album on clear wax.

Hi-Five

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #2,289 of 5,377
So the 200 gram version of Come Away with Me came in the mail.  There's less pre-echo (almost none now), but in general it sounds much better than the other, far floppier version.  Also the packaging is nicer; it came with a gatefold jacket with more pictures, and a high quality inner sleeve.  And I much prefer Soundstagedirect's (shipping) packing to Amazon's.

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #2,290 of 5,377
FYI

Music_Collection1.jpg

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #2,292 of 5,377

A short film that explores how different people respond to the same piece of music, all captured from the point of view of a vinyl spinning on a record player.

/img/vimeo_logo.png

Hmm, couldn't get it to play more than ten seconds.  Might be my stuff.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #2,293 of 5,377
I have installed the 2M Black "PNP" cartridge/headshell combo on my Pioneer PL-530 - sounds terrific.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2,295 of 5,377
Thanks! Yup, it's pretty cool looking. And sounds great :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back