Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jul 6, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,891 of 5,376
Really cool Wuss
beerchug.gif

Jul 7, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #1,892 of 5,376
Quote:

last night i installed the brand new VPI JMW 3D tonearm.
so worth it.

i wish i could tell you guys that it's a simple drop-in replacement, but it's pretty far from that...
it took the better part of the evening to get it installed and dialed in.

everything about the arm is different.  it's a fraction of the mass, has a different bearing mechanism and bearing height.
so the VTA has to be set again.  and the azimuth is incredibly sensitive.
the arm can easily be induced to see-sawing if the counterweight is even one degree off from the azimuth that the cartridge wishes to track at...

once dialed in, it's simply outstanding though...  
the blackest background i have heard from analog.  and the most natural dynamics imaginable...

Congrats. I have expected improvements in sound of 3D printed vs conventional arm to be in much reduced resonances/reflections, resulting in good background and dynamics. I would appreciate an update on sonic impressions after the initial "wow" subdues. 

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #1,893 of 5,376
Quote:
Congrats. I have expected improvements in sound of 3D printed vs conventional arm to be in much reduced resonances/reflections, resulting in good background and dynamics. I would appreciate an update on sonic impressions after the initial "wow" subdues. 

We have a small 3D printer at work - used for models. It is amazing technology and the VPI tonearm is really pushing the limits!
Very impressive.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #1,895 of 5,376
Quote:

Had lost my camera charger. 

Since it wasn't too long ago in the thread, I had to post this when I just stumbled across it.  Maybe someone already brought it up and i missed it, but it was new to me.  Their page has a few nicer pics for those interested.

http://www.euroaudioteam.com/en/eat-e-flat-turntable-000046.html

Anyone else want one too?

Happy Spinning!

Hi-Five

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #1,896 of 5,376
Quote:
We have a small 3D printer at work - used for models. It is amazing technology and the VPI tonearm is really pushing the limits!
Very impressive.

I work with a little bit of PolyJet and FDM printing but from what I've seen both are prone to creep and eventual warping.  They must have some pretty fancy compounds at work in that new arm!

I just watched a video earlier where they were 3D printing liquid metal at room temp on the micro-scale.  It turns out the oxide film that develops is forceful enough to hold the body's shape.  Crazy stuff!

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #1,897 of 5,376
Quote:

Since it wasn't too long ago in the thread, I had to post this when I just stumbled across it.  Maybe someone already brought it up and i missed it, but it was new to me.  Their page has a few nicer pics for those interested.

Happy Spinning!

Hi-Five

Both NAD 5120 aka Tesla NC 470 and EAT made in the same factory that now produces Pro-Ject and Music Hall TTs. 

The new reincarnation of the flat arm uses unipivot bearing, is made out of carbon fibre ( both plus ) - and drops the most important feature of the old, the adjustable antiresonator counterweight - LARGE minus. The execution is far better than on 5120 - but so is the price. I would like to hear it (set up with the same cart) side by side to its 30 years old predecessor.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #1,899 of 5,376
Jul 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #1,900 of 5,376
Quote:

Happy Spinning!

Hi-Five

WHOA. That thing is incredi-cool! 

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,902 of 5,376
Quote:
Quote:
Nice, although it doesn't look a bit like the TT in your profile.
wink.gif
  This Rega looks tricked out. Whatcha got there?

Mmm this is a, new to me, original Planar 3 with an R200 tone arm.

I'm currently looking at putting double belts and a modified RB250/300 on it

Very clever indeed.  Cartridge?  Inspiring minds, you know.

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #1,904 of 5,376
Quote:
Quote:
Very clever indeed.  Cartridge?  Inspiring minds, you know.

Garrott modded Dynavector 20B, I'm still unsure if the Garrott mods entail other than re-tipping as I got it with the turntable.

I'll bet that's gonna be a real nice sound.  Congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back