Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jul 27, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #692 of 5,374

A photograph I took of a friends VPI.

Quote:
The Scoutmaster is highly tweakable.  Is that even a word?

beerchug.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #693 of 5,374
My horribly non audiophile setup:
Technics SL-1600 given to me by a family member
Sure m92e cart
Pyle pro phono preamp
Limited pressing yellow vinyl copy of steely Dan's Aja sitting on the table.
IMG_20120418_143749.jpg

Does anybody have any ideas for cost effective upgrades for my turntable setup?
By cost effective, I mean cheap and a good price/performance ratio...

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #694 of 5,374
Perhaps invest in a new cart like a Shure M97xe or a Grado Black. Also, you should probably upgrade your phono stage. Look at the Musical Fidelity V-LPS II. I have the first generation V-LPS and it's great. Wish I had a phono stage with variable loading but that's going to be much more expensive.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #695 of 5,374
That's good advice, AR. On a Technics, the Shure M97xe would be a great start, especially if you do not know how many miles are on the current cartridge.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #696 of 5,374
And another upgrade that just came in...
647Koetsu_Urushi_Wajima_i.jpg

The Kiseki Blue is a fine cartridge but it's not the best tracker. And when I saw this on Ebay at a good price I had to have it. I have been dreaming of this cart since the original review in HFN&RR in 1990.
765Koetsu_Urushi_spelend.jpg

So here it is playing.
The arm does need the extra weight (extra 3.5g) you see on top of the cart. The arm is only 9.5g and those Koetsu's are not very compliant. Resonance should be below 15 Hz now.

At the moment I'm modifying my Jolida preamp again.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #697 of 5,374
Quote:
That's good advice, AR. On a Technics, the Shure M97xe would be a great start, especially if you do not know how many miles are on the current cartridge.

I actually replaced a Stanton Cart with unknown "miles" on it with the M92e, and I haven't had too many plays through it, but it is a BOTL Cart.

Quote:
Perhaps invest in a new cart like a Shure M97xe or a Grado Black. Also, you should probably upgrade your phono stage. Look at the Musical Fidelity V-LPS II. I have the first generation V-LPS and it's great. Wish I had a phono stage with variable loading but that's going to be much more expensive.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll go do some research on it. I've heard though that Grados have issues with humming on Technics tables.
Last year about this time Amazon had a sale on the M97xE for something like $45, I'm going to wait for a sale like that.
Also, could anyone advise me on integrated phono pre-amps that are in vintage amps? Specifically the Pioneer QX-747 I believe.
What does everyone use to clean their vinyl BTW?

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #698 of 5,374
Since were posting pics of carts, here is mine that I got for about 350 euros.  The Monster Alpha is a very famous cartridge made by Monster Audio. It has
been modified by A.J. Van den Hul with a new boron cantilever, a new VDH tip and a modified suspension. Result is that it is more dynamic and transparent
as the original version and it has a better tracking,  Monster contracted with the designer of the ZYX carts, to make these.  Sound is superb. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #699 of 5,374
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll go do some research on it. I've heard though that Grados have issues with humming on Technics tables.
Last year about this time Amazon had a sale on the M97xE for something like $45, I'm going to wait for a sale like that.
Also, could anyone advise me on integrated phono pre-amps that are in vintage amps? Specifically the Pioneer QX-747 I believe.
What does everyone use to clean their vinyl BTW?

I've had a Grado Black and Gold1 on my Technics without any hum. I've heard the same thing from other Technics owners about the Grado hum but take it with a grain of salt as I've never experienced such an issue. My Pioneer SX-850's phono stage is on the fritz so I haven't been able to compare it to my V-LPS but others seem to like the phono stages from their vintage integrated amps and receivers. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #700 of 5,374

This is my Thorens TD124 which I had restored by James Campbell (who can be contacted at Jec@afo.net No connection-I have never met the man but I can vouch that he does great work!). James built the solid birch ply plinth and the armboard. Actually, he has built about seven armboards for me. As you can see, I have a VPI 9T arm mounted on it. In order to accomplish proper VTA, I had to remove the thumbwheel VTA adjustor on the arm column and add a Herbies mat and recess the armboard where the bracket for the junction box sits as detailed in the lower photo. I originally set up this table with an SME3009 SII that I had rewired and rebuilt by Alfred Keyser of smetonearms.com up in Canada. I was not happy with the SME arm. I found it clunky and outdated, though I respect those that coax great sound from it. I like VPI arms for their relative simplicity and compatability with more modern MC cartridges (again, a subject of honest debate). I have a VPI Classic too and with Benz Glider LOs, the sound is very similar, but distinctly different. The Classic is a bit more neutral bordering ever so slightly on the sterile side IMO, whereas the same record played on the TD124 sounds a bit punchier, The Classic can coax more detail and deeper bass, but subjectively the TD124 sounds more bass heavy as it seems to emphasize the mid-bass a bit. Some would consider this a fault, but it is subjectively pleasant in my listening room. I had a lot of folks tell me "good luck" mating a VPI 9T to a TD124. I have to think there a few if any who have the same combination. Needless to say, I am very happy with it.

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #701 of 5,374
This is a very beautiful table. 
tongue_smile.gif
 Lucky your are.
Quote:

This is my Thorens TD124 which I had restored by James Campbell (who can be contacted at Jec@afo.net No connection-I have never met the man but I can vouch that he does great work!). James built the solid birch ply plinth and the armboard. Actually, he has built about seven armboards for me. As you can see, I have a VPI 9T arm mounted on it. In order to accomplish proper VTA, I had to remove the thumbwheel VTA adjustor on the arm column and add a Herbies mat and recess the armboard where the bracket for the junction box sits as detailed in the lower photo. I originally set up this table with an SME3009 SII that I had rewired and rebuilt by Alfred Keyser of smetonearms.com up in Canada. I was not happy with the SME arm. I found it clunky and outdated, though I respect those that coax great sound from it. I like VPI arms for their relative simplicity and compatability with more modern MC cartridges (again, a subject of honest debate). I have a VPI Classic too and with Benz Glider LOs, the sound is very similar, but distinctly different. The Classic is a bit more neutral bordering ever so slightly on the sterile side IMO, whereas the same record played on the TD124 sounds a bit punchier, The Classic can coax more detail and deeper bass, but subjectively the TD124 sounds more bass heavy as it seems to emphasize the mid-bass a bit. Some would consider this a fault, but it is subjectively pleasant in my listening room. I had a lot of folks tell me "good luck" mating a VPI 9T to a TD124. I have to think there a few if any who have the same combination. Needless to say, I am very happy with it.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #705 of 5,374
Gaaaaaaahhhhh.... the suspense is killing me. I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of my TD-145 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back