Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Mar 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #466 of 5,376
Age in and of itself shouldn't disqualify a turntable from performing well. My Transcriptors is from the same era and performs great.
I see your point though on the Dual, the idler wheel system could be problematic. This looks like it should be replaced.
Parts are here: http://www.fixmydual.com/

Quote:
The Dual 1209 was a popular turntable in its day, but it is a pretty old deck even by vintage TT standards...even one that was restored could have developed a problem, especially the kind you describe, because that Dual used an idler wheel drive system, and if anything is out of whack with he idler wheel, it could make a thumping sound (not sure what to attitude the loud static to, though).

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #467 of 5,376
Oh I agree...I myself have three turntables that range from 25-35 years old, and they are all absolutely outstanding. But they were all higher-end models that were better built than the Dual 1209. Both belt drive and direct drive are very likely to be more trouble free than an old idler wheel drive system is going to be.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #468 of 5,376
I looked at fixmydual.com again and saw that they do a complete service for $135 including common parts which seems like a great price. That would probably be the best bet for someone who wanted to restore theirs.
I have never had a Dual but I still remember my first turntable (as a teenager), a Garrard SLX-2. I think it is fairly similar to the Dual.

Quote:
Oh I agree...I myself have three turntables that range from 25-35 years old, and they are all absolutely outstanding. But they were all higher-end models that were better built than the Dual 1209. Both belt drive and direct drive are very likely to be more trouble free than an old idler wheel drive system is going to be.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #469 of 5,376
I'm trying to get in contact with the guy who sold me the table, I've talked to him before and he's a pretty nice guy. I'm thinking the damage might have been done in shipping even though he is only 30 minutes away. He had it shipped through a local auctioneer though, so it may not have been packed properly. I'm going to have to agree that it's probably the idler at fault. When I run the table at 78RPM the whole thing shakes and the noise comes from the table itself as opposed to through the headphones at lower speeds.

As for the static, I believe Dual tables have a muting circuit that stops any noise from playing through the speakers while it's not currently playing. Maybe it has a loop somewhere in the circuit because I know for a fact that it does not work as I've accidently bumped the needle putting on a record and I heard it loud and clear. The static is gone with a click as the needle touches down to a record.

I'm afraid I'm not really on good terms with the guy at fixmydual. I was originally going to get a table from him, but I didn't have the money for it at the time and went for the 1209 off ebay(local seller, what could go wrong? :deadhorse: ) I contacted him inquiring about buying a single play spindle and he never returned my email.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #470 of 5,376
Yeah, shipping vintage turntables is a bit dicey even if you know exactly what you are doing. The MOST important thing is the platter MUST be removed for shipping. And yet I have several times received turntables that were shipped with the platter in place. That is just asking for trouble.

I know you know this now, but for the benefit of others who might read this, it would have been better to have driven the 30 minutes to pick it up...

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #471 of 5,376
Yeah, shipping vintage turntables is a bit dicey even if you know exactly what you are doing. The MOST important thing is the platter MUST be removed for shipping. And yet I have several times received turntables that were shipped with the platter in place. That is just asking for trouble.
I know you know this now, but for the benefit of others who might read this, it would have been better to have driven the 30 minutes to pick it up...

Yes, I mentioned to the seller about removing the platter before I bought it and they assured me they knew how to ship turntables. Unfortunately they did not remove it, I should have requested a refund, but at the time I was having a ground looping issue with the receiver and couldn't hear the thumping noise over the static and distortion so I didn't know there was a problem. I'm still a bit new to the whole vinyl thing, I'm hoping that I can get some kind of resolution with the tech who restored it, at the moment our communication is going through the auction site though, the guy who restored it doesn't own a computer apparently.

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #475 of 5,376
Yamaha PF-800 with Denon DL-301 MKII

Mitsubishi LT-30 with Denon DL-301 MKII

TOTL suspended belt and DD linear tracking tables (respectively) from the early 80s.  Just got the LT-30 a few weeks ago and moved it into the main system, the PF-800 is now upstairs in the office to become part of my in progress headphone system.

Before anyone asks (because I am always asked this!) the batteries power the phono stage, which is DIY, and have already been cleaned up and moved to a box on the lower shelf.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #477 of 5,376
Hopefully some of you can help me with my vinyl cleaning brush dilemma. I make a deal out of it because I just want it to last a while, not a temporary thing planning to upgrade to a Nitty Gritty or VPI etc. in the near future, but like 1-2 yrs down the line.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603071/cleaning-vinyl#post_8261869

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #478 of 5,376
OK well I got yet another stylus today, determined to make it last, and I cleaned a bunch of my 45s, and I cleaned one and dried with a regular hand towel (other cloths were wet) and played it, and it looks like it messed up my stylus, but how can that be?! I cleaned it! It sounded terrible, so it was obviously in bad condition, but isit possible for a clean record to wear down a stylus like that after 30secs? My dad was like "Oh my god, you're being too sensitive, don't worry about it!" and I wanna believe him. I hope it's OK, but I played one of my records and it sounded kinda harsh in the highs, but that could be the record from my previous tip (or maybe it was always like that, I don't remember). I don't wanna make my Dad drive out there again, so should I just use it or what? Is it probably just fine?

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #479 of 5,376
OK well I got yet another stylus today, determined to make it last, and I cleaned a bunch of my 45s, and I cleaned one and dried with a regular hand towel (other cloths were wet) and played it, and it looks like it messed up my stylus, but how can that be?! I cleaned it! It sounded terrible, so it was obviously in bad condition, but isit possible for a clean record to wear down a stylus like that after 30secs? My dad was like "Oh my god, you're being too sensitive, don't worry about it!" and I wanna believe him. I hope it's OK, but I played one of my records and it sounded kinda harsh in the highs, but that could be the record from my previous tip (or maybe it was always like that, I don't remember). I don't wanna make my Dad drive out there again, so should I just use it or what? Is it probably just fine?

Is your cartridge aligned properly?

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #480 of 5,376
I played Side B on Common's "Be" album and everything sounded good, and I looked at the tip and it looked sharp to me, so either the record carved it back into shape (obviously not the case) or the issue was all placebo. I'm still not messing with those 45s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back