Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Feb 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #376 of 5,354
VPI certainly makes more expensive record cleaning machines, but the 16.5 is a very good price/value proposition and a time-proven design.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #377 of 5,354
Few minor changes:

American DJ headshell (broke one of the wires on my Technics headshell) and a brand new stylus. Really liking the PL-518 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #379 of 5,354

Quote:
Hit or miss for me, but once cleaned with my VPI 16.5 wet-vacuum cleaner, the vast majority of my new vinyl is dead quiet.  Of course, so are the vast majority of my older records.  Wet-vacuum cleaning records makes a HUGE difference.

I totally agree with Skylab on this one. I've been using a VPI 16.5 RC. for several years and they do a fabulous job. The only other RC's that are a lot better, are the Keith Monks (a big wad of cash) or the knock off who's name I can not recall, but it does use the arm thread technic and these, really work better then anything I've seen or used.. But and it's a BIG BUT, is the cash they cost. I'd rather use my VPI 16.5 and spend the money on new or used vinyl........ The "Magic Eraser" has been mentioned and it works really well, but It was shown to me how your stylist can actually pick up a piece of the "Magic Eraser" and transfer the piece onto the groove of your LP and once that happens there's no getting that hard fiber out of your groove so they said to always use the "Zero Dust" goop after using the M.E.  One must be extra careful with both of these products, they love to eat the Diamonds that we pamper and payed dearly for........My new Vinyl is Quiet, as well as my cleaned originals, the ones that haven't been played to death in my early years, or let people borrow.....PS.. Many say to clean your brand new LP's to get rid of the release agent that the pressing plant uses. I Do, but who am I,  just a 59 yr. old Vinyl JUNKY.....

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #380 of 5,354
OK so I got my new needle (well new cart and needle, they don't sell separately since it's only $30, cheapest they can make it), and it came today. Guess what?! The needle cover came off, the stylus detached and the cartridge was loose in the packaging, so I guess it was all bouncing around for the ride. Could this new one be just as bad? I listened with both and one sounds clearer than the other, but I might just need to clean my old one, so I'll dot hat for a fair comparison. I'll clean both, too, because I don't even remember which is which (new and old) oops :p

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #381 of 5,354
One thing I was really impressed with on the Ortofon was the packaging. Absolutely first rate. No chance it was going to be harmed in shipping short of being completely crushed.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #382 of 5,354
Jtaylor you should return that for a replacement, not use it, as surely it is damaged.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #383 of 5,354
Mine was an Ortofon and yes it was good packaging the first one I ordered (both from Amazon) but this time well you know the story, not happy. I guess I have to find a way to get to my vinyl store 30min away :p

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #385 of 5,354
LOL "Pretty pictures of ugly music." Cool looking vinyl you've got there!

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #386 of 5,354
Quote:
LOL "Pretty pictures of ugly music." Cool looking vinyl you've got there!

Thanks, vinyl is one of the few things I collect, 4000+ and counting.

left--->right

Top row:
Thursday- Full Collapse  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzCWf62s3Zw
Grade- Under the Radar  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0S38K-MryE
Kid Dynamite- S/T  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yW2IZ5DUCI

Middle rowt:
Forstella Ford- Quietus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP-16ZbukRg (couldn't find a song off Quietus)
Saetia- mountain 12" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ0bVPy8PZ8
Alkaline Trio- Maybe I'll Catch Fire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HowlIqf1c2M

Bottom row:
Milemarker- Frigid Forms Sell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ijydEYwpzU
Piebald- If it Weren't for Venetian Blinds it Would be Curtains for us all  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnIg3YwCRiA
Milemarker- Anesthetic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3f19Su0atE&feature=related 

You be the judge, most people I know think it is pretty ugly.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #387 of 5,354

Quote:
I totally agree with Skylab on this one. I've been using a VPI 16.5 RC. for several years and they do a fabulous job. The only other RC's that are a lot better, are the Keith Monks (a big wad of cash) or the knock off who's name I can not recall, but it does use the arm thread technic and these, really work better then anything I've seen or used.. But and it's a BIG BUT, is the cash they cost. I'd rather use my VPI 16.5 and spend the money on new or used vinyl........ The "Magic Eraser" has been mentioned and it works really well, but It was shown to me how your stylist can actually pick up a piece of the "Magic Eraser" and transfer the piece onto the groove of your LP and once that happens there's no getting that hard fiber out of your groove so they said to always use the "Zero Dust" goop after using the M.E.  One must be extra careful with both of these products, they love to eat the Diamonds that we pamper and payed dearly for........My new Vinyl is Quiet, as well as my cleaned originals, the ones that haven't been played to death in my early years, or let people borrow.....PS.. Many say to clean your brand new LP's to get rid of the release agent that the pressing plant uses. I Do, but who am I,  just a 59 yr. old Vinyl JUNKY.....

All the fancier machines really do is make the job easier.  You have to spend a LOT of money to get one with an appreciably stronger motor, or build your own.

I used a system with a small shop vac as the vacuum source for a while; I'm sure that thing was sucking more off the surface of the record than any off the shelf all-in-one machine I've ever seen.  Like I said, I've since moved on to other methods.

If you, however, have the money to spend, and the space to keep a vacuum machine easily accessible, by all means it's a good method.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #388 of 5,354

Quote:

All the fancier machines really do is make the job easier.  You have to spend a LOT of money to get one with an appreciably stronger motor, or build your own.

I used a system with a small shop vac as the vacuum source for a while; I'm sure that thing was sucking more off the surface of the record than any off the shelf all-in-one machine I've ever seen.  Like I said, I've since moved on to other methods.

If you, however, have the money to spend, and the space to keep a vacuum machine easily accessible, by all means it's a good method.

Yea zhenya, After all of my ramblings above I forgot to mention for you younger guys/gals getting into vinyl a Record Vac. Machine is what you should be saving your pennies for. Once you have yours it will last forever, if taken care of... A clean LP not only sounds better but will extend the life of your cartridge/stylist..... 

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #389 of 5,354

Quote:
Another question:

So, I know work styli can damage a record, but how severely? I'm scared of damaging my records, even though I'm playing a bunch of used records for the first time. My stylus had rubbed across the rubber mat on the turntable and my shop said it was fine. Since then it has done this some more (skips off the edge on old 45s, doesn't sound as bad on the stereo as you'd think, just like someone blowing through a mic) and scratched across the record a few times. Once I reached for something and pushed it across, and other times I was putting it away and I wasn't lifting high enough and it made contact on the way over to the cradle. I've also placed it myself a few times, and my hand is a bit shaky. I try not to do it, but for some reason I just feel like it. I can buy a new stylus (if I can find it, it's the $30 Ortofon Omega, can't find a replacement one anywhere yet, I'll call them) but I'm worried I have damaged my records. Only sometimes do the highs sound off/distorted, and I have been assuming that it was the result of a dirty record. Some others play fine and it sounds fine. I have one record where the vocals have a lot of sibilance, but on all my other records this doesn't seem so. I think it's just the mastering of the record or something.

I oughta just replace the stylus anyway to see if it sounds different, but how can I tell if my records are damaged? Would the damage be severe? If it's subtle I might barely notice it if at all. I read somewhere that you can take the fingertip side of your finger back to front lightly, and if there is not a slight scratch on your skin, the stylus is probably work down. Is this true or even recommended/safe?

Quote:
It's $30, the Ortofon Omega. I can't seem to find a replacement stylus for it anywhere, unfortunately. I'll call up Ortofon and figure it out. There were a couple on Needle Doctor for $50 and $119 that looked like they would fit, but black. I knew something was up because the cartridge and stylus combo is only $30 anyway. Thanks! I hope my records aren't ruined.
But, if the stylus is worn down would it cut lower or higher in the grooves? If lower, than well :p if higher (because of the thicker less fine worn stylus not pushing down as far?) then could a new stylus just go deeper in the record and play it almost just fine?

Quote:
No, that's not it at all.  If its worn, the polish on the diamond is gone, and it will actually really eat up the vinyl. The wear is rarely in a uniform way.

Trust me, you cannot rationalize using a worn stylus :wink: You just have to deal with it.

Quote:
OK so I got my new needle (well new cart and needle, they don't sell separately since it's only $30, cheapest they can make it), and it came today. Guess what?! The needle cover came off, the stylus detached and the cartridge was loose in the packaging, so I guess it was all bouncing around for the ride. Could this new one be just as bad? I listened with both and one sounds clearer than the other, but I might just need to clean my old one, so I'll dot hat for a fair comparison. I'll clean both, too, because I don't even remember which is which (new and old) oops :p

NOW:

I called my trusted record store, and they want the basic $75 until they have a day where they doo the basic stuff for free, a "turntable clinic". So, I called the second on my list and they referred me to another store that said they would basically hook it up, listen to it, and look at it with their naked eye and they can usually tell when something is wrong, no microscope necessary. "The only thing that can really go wrong with the stylus is something with the needle." Do these people know what they're talking about? Doesn't sound like it to me. Should I make the 30min drive and spend the 2hrs of my day with these people? It'd be tomorrow when the guy who deals with this is in.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/its-a-beautiful-day-kansas-city

Looks like they are not just a record store, however.

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #390 of 5,354
From that first review, I'd take the chance:

"The REAL magic of It's a Beautiful Day, however, comes by way of it's electronic repair staff. After complimenting the quality of my turntable, the repair man offered an array of replacement parts of varying prices. He explained with expert knowledge and detail the attributes of each part by manufacturer, use, and price.

He repaired the turntable by hand in front of me, and tested it on their store Hi-Fi to insure me that it was functional to my satisfaction.

He then charged me thirty dollars"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back