Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Feb 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #346 of 5,376
Thanks for the tips. I'll check to see what the recommended settings are and make sure I try it with those to be sure before I buy a new one. I saw Skylab's comment somewhere about 'if your sound is distorted, it's usually in need of a new cartridge' not exact quote.. The sound from my TT now is exactly that. Distorted quite heavily.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #347 of 5,376
It is possible that your current cartridge is so badly aligned that it is distorting, but unlikely.  But indeed, you cannot just slap a new cartridge on and have it work - you have to adjust VTF (the tracking force or weight) and the antiskate.  It's also important to get the tracking angle right, although very often just making sure the cartridge is as far forward in the headshell as it can be is enough.

BTW I have a Ortofon 2M Bronze in my vintage Pioneer PL-530 and it is a GREAT cartridge.  You don't even have to take the stylus out when installing - there is a nneedle guard.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #348 of 5,376
Ok, I've reset it back to zero and dialed it in according to the instructions. Anti Skate and Tracking Force at 2.0. I will check the alignment, but so far no real improvement in sound. The skate and tracking seem to be almost exactly where it was before I reset it.

Thanks for the assistance guys. Will report again when I check the alignment.

edit: So I took the headshell off to inspect the alignment and found quite a bit of dust buildup on the needle. Brushed it off with a fine plastic brush and put it back on. Vastly improved sound. I guess I should have looked at the obvious stuff first. There is still a little distortion, but it is worlds better now. The needle is probably worn out. The manual said this particular needle is rated for 800 hours of playback and it is the original needle from this 1980s TT.

Think I'll get the 2M Red then work on building an actual record collection. Currently at 2 LPs, heh. Got what looks like a great, reasonably priced, record store about 20 minutes away. Might run down there soon and check it out in person.

Thanks again guys.

edit again: Found a coupon code for Needle Doctor's site (SAVE10) which gives 10% off. Nice bonus :)

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #349 of 5,376
The Red was the cartridge I've had my eye on as well for my PL518, so I might grab one soon along with a reasonably priced phono stage after my LF comes in.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #350 of 5,376
Went back to that same junk shop I saw the Thorens 190 at and it was still there, so I decided to grab it this time.

Took it home, found an adapter and plugged it in

it spun!

So I have a cheap cartridge and phono amp on order, if this baby works, then I'll start giving it real love (new belt, rewire the rca's, better phono preamp, better cartridge, etc.)

I'll take some pics when I have it setup.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #351 of 5,376
popcorn.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #353 of 5,376
Congrats on the table Maxvla, I can attest that the 2M Red is better than the older OM Series which was pretty good. I doubt you could find anything better for $100.

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #356 of 5,376
Congrats on the table Maxvla, I can attest that the 2M Red is better than the older OM Series which was pretty good. I doubt you could find anything better for $100.

Thanks. Looking forward to it. Gotta get some media and quick!

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #358 of 5,376

Quote:
I should've posted this here ages ago

My grubby old RP3, with
New DL160 cart and "Wand" carbon fibre unipivot tonearm from NZ, installed last Christmas

Crazy tonearm! Could you tell us more about it? How's it compare to the stock RB303? 

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #359 of 5,376
Got my Ortofon 2M Red installed and adjusted tonight. Pressed play, let the mechanism do it's thing, then wow.... MUCH better sound. The downside is I only have a couple records atm and they are both on the dusty side so I only let it play long enough to make sure it worked and I was happy with the improvement in performance. Going to hit up a local shop for some clean new vinyl tomorrow. One thing that bothers me though is the wires that connect the tonearm and the cartridge, the metal tubes that slide on are a bit loose on the Ortofon, but were snug on the Pioneer original cartridge. Is that something I should look at replacing? If so where can I get a set pre-fabbed?

Thanks for the help, Skylab. :)

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #360 of 5,376
As long as they stay on and you don't touch them to keep them that way, you should be fine, same thing happened to me. Is it thatg great and worth $100? Upgrade from the $30 Ortofon Omega?

Quote:
Got my Ortofon 2M Red installed and adjusted tonight. Pressed play, let the mechanism do it's thing, then wow.... MUCH better sound. The downside is I only have a couple records atm and they are both on the dusty side so I only let it play long enough to make sure it worked and I was happy with the improvement in performance. Going to hit up a local shop for some clean new vinyl tomorrow. One thing that bothers me though is the wires that connect the tonearm and the cartridge, the metal tubes that slide on are a bit loose on the Ortofon, but were snug on the Pioneer original cartridge. Is that something I should look at replacing? If so where can I get a set pre-fabbed?
Thanks for the help, Skylab.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back