Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Feb 7, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #332 of 5,376
Found a Thorens 190 at a junk shop (early, 1st version), but he didn't have an AC adapter and the cartridge was missing.  I didn't want to chance it so I passed.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can get a good turntable for a reasonable price let me know.

I have a bunch of vinyls that need love.

My dream turntable is a Project 1.3, I know that's considered entry level, but I don't really want something ridiculously expensive plus I live it's minimalistic design.  Doubt I'd find it for a good price though.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #333 of 5,376

Quote:

If anyone has any ideas on how I can get a good turntable for a reasonable price let me know.

Have you been keeping an eye out on Craigslist and Audiogon? Audiogon has a bunch of higher end stuff. I find that some good audiophile decks show up on Craigslist from time to time. Also, maybe bartertown at Audiokarma may be a good place to look.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #334 of 5,376
The problem I'd always have about buying an inexpensive turntable that needs to be shipped is that packing one such that it is not damaged during shipping requires great care (and preferably the original packing materials).  All that material makes for a big, heavy, expensive box to ship (and reliance that the seller actually knows what they are doing).  So now your $100 turntable is suddenly 50% more.

Do you have a local mid-fi or hi-fi shop that carries used equipment?  That'd be where I'd look if I wasn't finding anything on Craigslist locally and had a very tight budget.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #335 of 5,376
Another question:

So, I know work styli can damage a record, but how severely? I'm scared of damaging my records, even though I'm playing a bunch of used records for the first time. My stylus had rubbed across the rubber mat on the turntable and my shop said it was fine. Since then it has done this some more (skips off the edge on old 45s, doesn't sound as bad on the stereo as you'd think, just like someone blowing through a mic) and scratched across the record a few times. Once I reached for something and pushed it across, and other times I was putting it away and I wasn't lifting high enough and it made contact on the way over to the cradle. I've also placed it myself a few times, and my hand is a bit shaky. I try not to do it, but for some reason I just feel like it. I can buy a new stylus (if I can find it, it's the $30 Ortofon Omega, can't find a replacement one anywhere yet, I'll call them) but I'm worried I have damaged my records. Only sometimes do the highs sound off/distorted, and I have been assuming that it was the result of a dirty record. Some others play fine and it sounds fine. I have one record where the vocals have a lot of sibilance, but on all my other records this doesn't seem so. I think it's just the mastering of the record or something.

I oughta just replace the stylus anyway to see if it sounds different, but how can I tell if my records are damaged? Would the damage be severe? If it's subtle I might barely notice it if at all. I read somewhere that you can take the fingertip side of your finger back to front lightly, and if there is not a slight scratch on your skin, the stylus is probably work down. Is this true or even recommended/safe?

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #337 of 5,376
Great thread. I've been trolling it for quite some time. Think I'm going to try to assemble a turntable setup after finding out we have a great vinyl store here in town and finding that prices for vinyl albums are generally the same or cheaper on older releases (but still new in box) than cds, and more artists than I expected have vinyl listed on their amazon album pages.

My family has a Pioneer PL-720 and PL-550 (silver). The 720 sounds quite bad. Very distorted. I have it connected to the phono stage of my Pioneer SX-9 receiver. Could be that it still has the original stock cart on it, heh. The 550 is at my parent's house. I'll have to bring it home and see how it works. Apparently the 550 is a popular model.

Btw, while searching about Pioneer tables I came across this page about the P3 turntable. It's absolutely beautiful and insanely over engineered.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-Exclusive_P3.html

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #338 of 5,376
I want one of those Pioneer Exclusive P3's so bad I can't stand it.  But the last one that came up for sale was in 7/10 condition, had to ship from Japan, and was still $8,500...

JTaylor991, a worn cartridge really can ruin your records. Unless someone looks at the stylus under a microscope (and of course knows what they are looking at), they can't tell.  What cartridge is it? If its an expensive one, you should take it in to get looked at.  If its not an expensive one, just buy a replacement stylus.  It's worth it.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #339 of 5,376
It's $30, the Ortofon Omega. I can't seem to find a replacement stylus for it anywhere, unfortunately. I'll call up Ortofon and figure it out. There were a couple on Needle Doctor for $50 and $119 that looked like they would fit, but black. I knew something was up because the cartridge and stylus combo is only $30 anyway. Thanks! I hope my records aren't ruined.
But, if the stylus is worn down would it cut lower or higher in the grooves? If lower, than well :p if higher (because of the thicker less fine worn stylus not pushing down as far?) then could a new stylus just go deeper in the record and play it almost just fine?

Quote:
I want one of those Pioneer Exclusive P3's so bad I can't stand it.  But the last one that came up for sale was in 7/10 condition, had to ship from Japan, and was still $8,500...

JTaylor991, a worn cartridge really can ruin your records. Unless someone looks at the stylus under a microscope (and of course knows what they are looking at), they can't tell.  What cartridge is it? If its an expensive one, you should take it in to get looked at.  If its not an expensive one, just buy a replacement stylus.  It's worth it.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #340 of 5,376
No, that's not it at all.  If its worn, the polish on the diamond is gone, and it will actually really eat up the vinyl. The wear is rarely in a uniform way.

Trust me, you cannot rationalize using a worn stylus :wink: You just have to deal with it.

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #341 of 5,376
Quick question for the group: I think I know what's wrong with my Pioneer PL720, the cartridge needs replacing. The one I've read is a great performer for the money is the Ortofon OM5E. Does this fit my arm? I see a review on Needle Doctor for this mentioning he put it on 'an old Pioneer' so I'm guessing most mass market TTs shared arm design?

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #342 of 5,376
It certainly looks like that would work well, Max.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #343 of 5,376
Thanks, Skylab.

edit: Just took a closer look now that I know what I'm looking at, and it does appear to match perfectly. Going to order one. Yay for first vinyl rig. :)

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #344 of 5,376
So, you know it's bad when the upgrade bug bites before you've even purchased something, but (!) I saw the Ortofon 2M Red which is $99 and captured many awards and it also looks quite nice as well. Wondering if I should just go for that. $100 is about my limit on experimenting with vinyl for now. I still don't have more than a couple records yet!

Not being familiar with installing these, I assume the stylus portion is removed, the black portion is screwed to the tonearm then the stylus is re-attached?

media.nl

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #345 of 5,376

Quote:
Not being familiar with installing these, I assume the stylus portion is removed, the black portion is screwed to the tonearm then the stylus is re-attached?

There's a little more to it than that.You have to align the cartridge properly and also set proper tracking and anti-skating force. If you've never done it before, you should ask someone who's experienced to do it for you or take it to an audio shop for professional installation.

And you know, not to complicate things, but depending on the history of your current setup, a proper alignment and force settings may be all you need with your current cartridge/stylus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back