Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Dec 29, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #301 of 5,376
Quote:
Very nice turntable! I love the streamline looks of them Rega's.

Thank you! I also got New Blood on vinyl
smile.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #302 of 5,376
Quote:
Thank you! I also got New Blood on vinyl
smile.gif

No you didn't!
angry_face.gif
You have to post a picture, or else you will be shunned from Head-Fi
wink_face.gif
Also im listening to some Peter Gabriel at this very second!

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #304 of 5,376
I'm going to be setting up my first turntable sometime soon.
I was thinking a Dual 1219 table with my dad's old Pioneer Sx-6 reciver as the phono-preamp.
Would this be a good system to start with? I notice most of the vinyl forums say that vintage tables are best, but a lot of people here have the new stuff.
I can get a fully restored Dual with a shure cartridge and warranty for $400 which is the price on the newer entry level tables. Is this a good deal?

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #305 of 5,376
Quote:
No you didn't!
angry_face.gif
You have to post a picture, or else you will be shunned from Head-Fi
wink_face.gif
Also im listening to some Peter Gabriel at this very second!

Ha ha! I trust this will quash any doubt...

The included picture disc 7" of A Quiet Moment and Solsbury Hill
 ​
Please excuse the crappy picture quality.

I have a few more LPs of Gabriel's solo work. My favorite work involving him so far though is Trespass by Genesis, I love that album! (Along with the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway of course).

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #306 of 5,376
Quote:
I keep almost buying that album and putting it back. I should really pick it up.

Hahah, its one of them albums that you "have to have."

Quote:
Ha ha! I trust this will quash any doubt...

​
The included picture disc 7" of A Quiet Moment and Solsbury Hill
 ​
 ​
Please excuse the crappy picture quality.

I have a few more LPs of Gabriel's solo work. My favorite work involving him so far though is Trespass by Genesis, I love that album! (Along with the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway of course).

Ive never had a piece of vinyl, but im guessing its the front and back side? Anyways that newly pressed vinyl looks good on that new Rega! 

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #307 of 5,376
Quote:
Hahah, its one of them albums that you "have to have."

Ive never had a piece of vinyl, but im guessing its the front and back side? Anyways that newly pressed vinyl looks good on that new Rega! 

The first picture is one side of the 7" and the second is one side of one of the 12" LPs. Thanks
smile.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #308 of 5,376

Terrible photo, but I set it up really quick to make sure it worked (it was in great shape, but I'm a paranoid individual) before I invested in a new cart and phono stage for it.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #309 of 5,376
I got a Dual 1209 table from a local shop going out of business.

Fully restored. I've been listening straight out of my Burson at 80% volume as both of the receivers we have are on their last legs and going fast. I've got a vintage Sherwood that should be here today that I'm going to use the phono stage of.
What would you guys recommend for putting the turntable on? As you can see in the picture I've got it on an old TV stand for the moment. I'm going to be putting some cone feet on the table soon, but I need a good shelf to put it on, the TV stand wobbles around at the slightest touch.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #310 of 5,376
Nice Dual. Best option would be to install a shelf to your wall and sit it there, especially if you have a wooden\suspended floor. On concrete you could just use a small sturdy dedicated table. I was thinking about stacking some left over building blocks (hebel) in a ~ one metre high platform in my living room so that the effect of speaker vibrations was lessened.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #311 of 5,376

My two tables. The VPI Classic has a Benz Glider LO into a Simaudio LP5.3 phono stage. The Thorens TD124 has been fully restored and rebuilt by Jim Campbell (highly recommend Jim!!) and the SME 3009SII arm was rebuilt and rewired by Alfred of SMEtonearms.com in Canada. It has an Ortofon 540MkII MM cartridge and I run that into a Simaudio LP3 phono stage boosted with a Wellborne Labs PSU. Love them both. 

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #312 of 5,376
Wow that is a beautiful Thorens!  Very nice.

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #313 of 5,376
I wish I had THIS turntable 
L3000.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #314 of 5,376

Quote:
Wow that is a beautiful Thorens!  Very nice.

Thank you Skylab. That means a lot to me (as I hold you in high esteem on this Board, seriously). 
Jim Campbell built a solid plinth of birch, and though he does beautiful wrap around veneers, I chose to keep the birch ply natural. 
The table was my dad's-he showed me his original receipt from some long gone audio store in Manhattan-from 1961 when I was two years old. I grew up with the turntable sitting in our living room, part of my dad's high-end system (for the day) which included Scott tubed electronics and AR3a loudspeakers.
The table sat unused for twenty years and the motor was frozen when it was given to me two years ago. Jim does amazing work. It's now good as new. Art Dudley did a great two part piece about the incredible purpose-built design of the TD124.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back