Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Dec 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #4,231 of 5,354
I agree mostly on what you said about What Hifi. "found them to be heavily biased towards British gear." But have you considered the price premium for imported goods compared to domestic? Look at the N-American prices for European gear, they are >>1.5x the price of the local price. So is US gear over here. So if you compare UK vs USx1.5 it's not very strange that the UK gear wins. Take that product and compare it in a US magazine and its the other way around: compare the 'cheap' UKx1.5 vs the same local US/1.5, the difference is 2.2 times.

And, American mags are even more biased towards US gear at ridiculous prices. I don't even read them anymore. Normally I read HFN&RR or German mags.

I really like the table. But the cost? That makes it quite a niche-product. Sort of a prototype with a few extra. The ideas are nice, but seem like a collection of other peoples good ideas and research. Now making a table great is a mixing and balancing of all ingredients (and spices), so that in itself is quite a feat too.

Oh, and I was referring to the SME turntable suspension, not their arms.

I read What Hifi, and agree. Still what are they going to do. The chain that spins the wheel that moves the bike. It's a system and they mostly have British gear, still they do say nice stuff about import audio gear, they just have so little of it to review compared to domestic production.

The Brits also actually have audio trends that you don't read about in Stereophile. It's all very cute in a way. I love Rega equipment. Still were lucky the stuff is made better than Triumph motorcycles or cars in the 1970s. Lol

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #4,233 of 5,354
Nice.  VPI's always look the business.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #4,235 of 5,354
V P I  ALWAYS COOL!

one day I'm gonna own one darnit
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #4,239 of 5,354
Excellent!

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #4,240 of 5,354
Beautiful business and, what a bright light!

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #4,244 of 5,354
It's an all-in-one system with built-in speakers, so we're not really the market for it. I had a couple discussions down at the local record store about this thing when its Kickstarter campaign first gained some attention from the press, and the general consensus is that the group behind it have made a real effort and covered the basics, but that even with an unamplified output offered, they haven't done enough to make it a real high-quality system or prevent long-term damage to your collection. It's a neat concept, but in the end this particular company is pitching a consumer product, not a serious audio component.

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #4,245 of 5,354
Concur on the look of VPI and SOTA tables.  And nothing in audio looks as sexy as a turntable.

Looks like I'll have to take a good pic of my Michell GyroDec SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back