Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jan 29, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #3,841 of 5,354
The magnetic field shouldn't be a problem. My Clearaudio TT has magnetic feet too. It is a good idea, but there are more ways to skin a goose (or cook it?) And there are cheaper ways.
You can use sorbothane feet. A very absorbing type of 'rubber' that you can get rather cheap in the form of non-audio related stuff. Just blocks or inlay soles or w/e.
What I've done is take a heavy slab of natural stone (granite) from the garden centre, DIY (just one big tile) or stonemason (is that the correct word? ppl who make headstones etc. they often have pieces leftover). Support it with 2 stiff supports on 1 side (spikes, cups, marbles) and soft suspension on the other (styrofoam and/or springs). That way you can tune the frequency by moving the supports. With a substantial weight the resonant frequency is about 2-5Hz, the same as slamming doors, walking sounds etc. If you place the spikes in front (they function as a hinge), you can move the springy support in the back out of sight. Move those forward, closer together, and you make the frequency lower, move them out>higher.
With the 2 spikes you fixate any sideway movement, and for the the springy parts you can use whatever strikes your fancy without risk to unwanted sliding of. You can use pingpong balls, halved squashballs, pieces of styrofoam, airbags used in packing (but those tend to deflate over time), maybe even a bicycle inner tube.
FYI; I use a piece of leftover black granite under the Clearaudio because they absorb different frequencies. One glass door in my living-room gives a particularly nasty thump that makes the needle skip every time. This construction completely eliminates all problems.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #3,842 of 5,354
Magnetic levitation is a good way of decoupling things from vibration while still having a good control over larger excursions. It is only bested by a really well implemented air supports - usually seen in Scanning Electron Microscopes (SEMs). Everything else introduces more coupling/less isolation. 

But then again, it has been proven that turntable can extract information smaller than what can be seen on a SEM ...

It is true that it has to be held in proportions - a $ 1000 support may be peanuts for $ 50.000 TT, but is overkill for a $ 300 TT. 

Recently, there was resurrection of turntables with main bearings assisted with magnet levitation - a la Platine Verdier, although on smaller scale. By Clearaudio (and OEM built tables for others, like Mc Intosh ). 

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #3,843 of 5,354
Still everything needs to be relevant. I would not put a $1000 base for a $400 turntable. I think they show a picture like that? Lol.

If you can buy that table for $400 my recommendation is to buy it straightaway. It's a Pro-ject Perspex that cost $2000. It looks very nice in combination with the support but I don't really know if it is really necessary since it's a rather springy subchassis turntable (if it's like my previous Perspective).

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #3,844 of 5,354
If you can buy that table for $400 my recommendation is to buy it straightaway. It's a Pro-ject Perspex that cost $2000. It looks very nice in combination with the support but I don't really know if it is really necessary since it's a rather springy subchassis turntable (if it's like my previous Perspective).

Sorry should have made my point more clear. I was referring to this $399 TT on a $1000 base.:p

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-13089-Debut-Carbon-Green/dp/B0080EKE4K

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301435762422?nav=SEARCH

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #3,845 of 5,354
Strange photo indeed. I would simply toss the base on that big block of granite. But hey, it's high end! (in the worst possible sense of the word) :D

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #3,849 of 5,354
It's odd that they are selling a magnet levitation platform with a Pro-ject Perspex on top since the Perspex has a magnet levitation sub-chassis. I guess two magnetic levitated platforms are better than one? lol

I didn't notice any issue or effect on my cart from this table.

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #3,850 of 5,354
xray32.jpeg

Please read it slowly so that it sinks into your heads. It is worthy.

http://blog.eil.com/2015/01/30/vinyl-records-pressed-on-x-rays/?+Record+Collecting+News&utm_term=0_488cee8dc3-4aa793f707-263183477

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #3,851 of 5,354

That was cool and reminds me how we never ever know it all.

These two books sent me on a ten year mission. I read every page 20 times and found much of the music.

The books are still out there!

Also.......http://waxidermy.com

The ultimate site about thrift store records.

At times I feel I have a PHD all concerning music no one cares about, knows about or even found out about in it's day.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #3,852 of 5,354

They just made these again, being the old ones were mostly scratched beyond usability.

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #3,853 of 5,354
They just made these again, being the old ones were mostly scratched beyond usability.

I have a good set of the first 5, no scratches (what? they are Ex+), all original.
Someone suggested I throw them of the balcony to see how far they get, but they seem to be worth a lot of money ($600). So if anyone want to buy them... I promised to donate the money I get for it to a good cause.

I just finished reading about the bone music (not to be confused with Tom Waits Bone Machine :D boy, would HE be intrigued) and I found some great quotes that make you go 'hmm':
“We need to get out of that mindset that background noise happens at the expense of clarity. In the course of my research I listened to cylinders of performances that date back over 100 years ago. It’s hard to explain it, but you registered an acute presence in those recordings that was undeniable.”

Kolkowski agrees. “Humans like to hear things that sound like recordings, but the imperfections – the hisses and crackles – make us listen a bit harder. Reaching for perfection is more rewarding to the ears, whereas modern digital recordings deliver perfection directly. Somehow, without the effort, some of the satisfaction is taken away.”

I visit the 2ndH store about every week (the money of all 2ndH stores over here goes to charity) and I keep finding great stuff. Last week I got two Philips maroon HifistereO album, a Bach Cantatas (singing sounds dated but quality is great) and an E Powewr Biggs Handel organ music that was mint. For free! In our bible belt organ music is ubiquitous and the Bach cantata was 'unplayably scratched. Well, as it turned out, the scratch was wide, but superficial. It throws an oldfashioned spherical needle off like a bull in a rodeo but I could hardly hear it with my modern stylus. Another thing I am thrilled about is a Karajan Brahms box. It is an old DG with tulips on the label and a limited edition card (nr 317!). It is from the early '60-ies and it sounds absolutely marvelous. Clean, clear and transparent. It's almost like a direct to disc record. Wow.

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #3,854 of 5,354
I have a good set of the first 5, no scratches (what? they are Ex+), all original.
Someone suggested I throw them of the balcony to see how far they get, but they seem to be worth a lot of money ($600). So if anyone want to buy them... I promised to donate the money I get for it to a good cause.
Feeding an addiction is not a good cause. :p

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #3,855 of 5,354
  It's odd that they are selling a magnet levitation platform with a Pro-ject Perspex on top since the Perspex has a magnet levitation sub-chassis. I guess two magnetic levitated platforms are better than one? lol

I didn't notice any issue or effect on my cart from this table.

The Pro-Ject 10.1 has a large isolation platform mounted on magnets, and then the platter itself is mounted on a magnet/bearing combination (the magnet is adjustment to determine how much levitation is applied to the spindle). Interestingly, the best results do not appear to come with completely levitating the platter, but rather still allow a bit of loading on the bearing. Playing around with things that will respond to magnets, I don't think the magnetic fields are very strong once it gets out to the distance of the cartridge. I don't have any reason to believe there's a downside in terms of how it effects the wires or cartridge, but admittedly there isn't a comparable version without the magnets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back