possibly upgrading from Pimeta - where to go from here?
Jun 13, 2005 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been debating upgrading from my Pimeta, and the leading candidates right now are the Headroom Micro and the Emmeline SR-71. Can I expect a pretty large difference in sonic quality going from my JMT-built Pimeta to either of these amps? I mainly ask because I've been sitting around the house all day w/ the Pimeta, iPod Mini and DT770/80's and everything just sounds really great, and I'm wondering if the Micro or the SR-71 will really give me enough of an improvement in sound to warrant the price of admission ($300 and $400, respectively). I keep thinking that maybe I should use the money to grab another couple pairs of cans (the ER4S is supposed to sound great w/ the Pimeta, and Grados keep calling my name).

So, what's your honest opinion? I'm not looking for a "justification response" (i.e. wanting some people to tell me to "go for it" just so I feel justified in purchasing another amp), I want an honest opinion on whether or not you think it would be worth the $$$, or if it would be better spent on other cans. I've come to value your opinions here on head-fi a great deal, and if I made the jump for one of these amps it would be a pretty big one, so have at it!

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 14
is it a home or a portable amp?

if its a home-based deal go big. a nice tube amp will roxor your world. perhaps a VERY nice home amp, perhaps with descrete output buffers at the minimum

if its a portable, then i dont have much worthwile to bring to the table as i lack a listen to 2 of the 3 amps mentioned. perhaps there is a review?

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
is it a home or a portable amp?

if its a home-based deal go big. a nice tube amp will roxor your world. perhaps a VERY nice home amp, perhaps with descrete output buffers at the minimum

if its a portable, then i dont have much worthwile to bring to the table as i lack a listen to 2 of the 3 amps mentioned. perhaps there is a review?

Looking mainly for a portable amp that can also be used around the house as I roam room-to-room. A dedicated home amp would have me too tethered, I tend to walk around the house alot.

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 14
what is going on there, appar? every day a couple of new threads, where you consider different new amps or cans. give it another 14 days and you will end spending your money for holidays to relax from thinking things over and over again (instead of cans or amps)....
580smile.gif
wink.gif

seriously... as far as i can see, you have a decent source (ipod), decent amp (pimeta) and some decent cans (dt770?). so... everything is in balance...
biggrin.gif
if you decide to buy revealing and demanding cans like the dt880 and hd650 you'll hear the flaws in your chain and start rotating the wheel again: new source, new amp, new cables... on the other hand, amps most likely are not that important as we make them appear around here.

i'm not a member of team source first, but in your case, i'd recommend to consider if you're ready to switch over to a more stationary source (a nice DAC for example) first. this is rather strategic and could guide you to form a sort of perspective for your future purchases.

Jun 13, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenEnglish
what is going on there, appar? every day a couple of new threads, where you consider different new amps or cans. give it another 14 days and you will end spending your money for holidays to relax from thinking things over and over again (instead of cans or amps)....
580smile.gif
wink.gif

seriously... as far as i can see, you have a decent source (ipod), decent amp (pimeta) and some decent cans (dt770?). so... everything is in balance...
biggrin.gif
if you decide to buy revealing and demanding cans like the dt880 and hd650 you'll hear the flaws in your chain and start rotating the wheel again: new source, new amp, new cables... on the other hand, amps most likely are not that important as we make them appear around here.

i'm not a member of team source first, but in your case, i'd recommend to consider if you're ready to switch over to a more stationary source (a nice DAC for example) first. this is rather strategic and could guide you to form a sort of perspective for your future purchases.

best post ever. i wish i had the bowls to write that. i use flats cause the harsh realitys of the high frequencys hurt my ears.

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 14
hey J, I was just in the same boat as you, have a PIMETA and looking to upgrade.

I just purchased an M3 after researching a BUNCH...

I'll let you know what I think after I receive it
basshead.gif

EDIT:
Just remembered you're looking for portability, so it may not help!

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenEnglish
580smile.gif
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Y'know, you're probably right - I'm spending too darn much time thinking about it. If I already have a decent source, decent amp and decent cans, maybe I'll just grab a set of no-nonsense cans like some SR60's to satisfy my "new can" desire, and some more music. If I grab something like the DT880's, I fear that you're right, and I'll just start the wheel rotating again. I'm tellin' you, this place is a sickness!

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
[...]I'm tellin' you, this place is a sickness!

biggrin.gif
...you're so right... btw... i'm keepin' my wheel rotating myself... i'm just about to lower the speed...
rolleyes.gif
frown.gif
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Y'know, you're probably right - I'm spending too darn much time thinking about it. If I already have a decent source, decent amp and decent cans, maybe I'll just grab a set of no-nonsense cans like some SR60's to satisfy my "new can" desire, and some more music. If I grab something like the DT880's, I fear that you're right, and I'll just start the wheel rotating again. I'm tellin' you, this place is a sickness!

Acceptance is the first step to recovery
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously, you are probably hearing the majority of the quality there is to hear. Enjoy your rig, and if you do decide to try a new component, keep your expectations low because you're sitting pretty decently now.

P.S.- You're not alone. I love my portable rig...but always wonder how the SM3 would sound compared to my SR-71, how much better RS-1's would sound than my 225's, and how neat it would be to have an iaudio x5 to compliment my iriver.

Jun 14, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 14
agreed that in going portable you really arent going to get a huge difference switching from pimeta to supermacro or sr71, with your money best spent elsewhere.

m3 really isnt transportable even in its smallest form unfortunately.

perhaps its time to start two setups?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 15, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
agreed that in going portable you really arent going to get a huge difference switching from pimeta to supermacro or sr71, with your money best spent elsewhere.

m3 really isnt transportable even in its smallest form unfortunately.

perhaps its time to start two setups?
very_evil_smiley.gif

or buy an xp-7 with upgraded PSU, then have the ability to go portable AND have a kickin home-based amp if you choose!

Jun 15, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 14
I'd have to agree with BrokenEnglish.. and here's why.

A significant step from a PIMETA would be a PPAv2 with the battery board. I went with a stationary PPAv2 myself, but I can tell you now, the PPAv2 is VERY revealing. And as someone who's gotten very used to enjoying my iPod w/ my headphones, this is a major development. I have a 40GB iPod full of (mostly) VBR (Lame -aps) .mp3's, which as you know is great 'cause you have all of your music at your fingertips. And unfortunately the PPA allows me to hear all sorts of encoding artifacts with my departed 580's, my 650's and my 325i's. So I'm slowing pulling out all of my CD's and getting used to, oh the horror, loading my CD player!!! The difference is incredible. Now I must begin the process of re-ripping my collection in lossless if I want to keep using the iPod.

So, that was a lot of typing to say this... anything more revealing than a PIMETA will start to detract from the music with lossy encoding.

Best of luck figuring out where you're going...

Ian

Jun 15, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #13 of 14
I decided to go with a pair of SR60's and a crapload of cd's instead (hit the used cd shop and got a nice haul-- old Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions, Spacehog, Whitesnake, Scatterbrain, Suicidal Tendencies, Sum 41).

A much cheaper (and thoroughly enjoyable) route for me - $70 for the SR60's and about $40 on the cd's...

next up - Yngwie's early stuff with Alcatrazz...

Jun 15, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 14
truly the best decision to buy some music instead of yet another peace of promising gear... congratulations, appar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back