Possibly fake Sony 7509HD - but how do I tell?
Jan 1, 2011 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

onlinerob

New Head-Fier
Hello. I have just purchased what I believed to be a genuine pair of Sony MDR-7509HD headphone from eBay but am looking for guidance as I believe these to be possibly fake. I have noticed that nearly all the photos I have seen for these headphones have a blue "Professional" label on each side but my pair appear to be turquoise in colour with the label appearing to have a slightly angular aspect in proportion to the "MDR-7509HD" text printed above. What first arose my suspicions was discovering that the left and right channels of these headphones had been swapped when listening to them and controlling the balance of the channels using my amplifier.

I have took a cap off one of the side of the headphones and would like to ask anyone who may own a genuine pair of these headphone if the details I have already described and the following photo below of the soldering looks fake. Many thanks.

For the record these headphone were not purchased from Chine but from a seller here in the UK.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 29
Oh man, really sorry to hear that. Sounds bad...even though the seller is in U.K. he could have purchased fake chinese ones. I read that there are so many fake Shure sm57 microphones on ebay that it's a toss up which you'll get if you buy one from anyone but an authorized dealer. I'm assuming the dealer you got them from was NOT authorized. I wonder if ebay would support your case of seller fraud if you could prove they were counterfeit.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 29
I am sorry to confirm that it is a fake. Sony does not use cheap paper tape at the point where the 2 wires are connected as shown in your photo. The soldering terminals in photo are low-quality . There are 3 soldering points for Left, Right channel and common ground. Re-solder the L/R wires should flip back to the correct channels. The transducer (speaker) is also fake. I have seen similar fake ones in the V6 and slightly larger fake ones in the V700 and V900. The fake ones don't sound as good (sometimes much worse) compared to the real ones. You may want to listen to a real pair at a local store to make sure.

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #4 of 29
Let's see the "Professional" sticker.

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 29
Hi there,

I've just come across this thread looking for some information about fake MDR-7509HDs, as I believe I have also unknowingly bought a fake pair.  The description matches the ones I bought exactly - did you have any luck with ebay getting a refund on yours?  I wonder if it's the same seller?!!  Have raised a case against my seller so waiting to hear back now.

If anyone's got a pair of genuine ones that they could photograph the inside workings of for comparison, that would be really helpful!

Mike

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 29
I'll post a "genuine MDR-7509HD" unboxing video in the next couple of days.  Stay tuned.

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 29
I think have a pair of fake V900HD

They don't sound that bad actually.....but many times these fakes are made with mostly legit parts in the same factories....it's just a ghost shift....in other words after an official production shift ends they continue to make additional products..... so the production is off the books with some parts replaced to save cost....hence the fake designations.

But without having a confirmed legit pair to compare I won't know the differences 100%.

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 29
Hard to tell...lets wait for the Djamtrax video. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 29
@threadstarter

Could be refurb'd or maybe the seller bought a bad batch and repaired it himself and then sold it off as new.

The image you took of the internals indicate very sloppy workmanship. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 29
Here's my unboxing video.  Hope it helps.

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 29
Hey what happened to the embed video? Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beTySLJNFOM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #13 of 29
Well, there is an auction site that has many many headphones up for bid, and over a dozen pair of SONY' MDR7509HD Professional including a buy now price in the mid $30 range.  You would think absolutely conterfit, so the question is, are these conterfits worth $30 something dollars :)

LarryRup

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 29
I saw those. Every day there's a whole bunch of cheap 7509HD's up for sale. It's no coincidence that they all ship from China. I was told that about half the Shure sm57 microphones on ebay are fakes made in China. Best to stay away, imo, and only buy from an authorized dealer

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #15 of 29
I used to work on the block of the NY Stock Echange, and everyday, we would harrase the  guy's selling "Rolodex's" (fake Rolex).  They would ask for 50 or 60 dollars.  It took awhile, but we got 2 for $10.  That watch ran for years!  That's why I ask it $30. is about right for the Sony's  lol

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back