Possible Q-Jays problem... need advice
Oct 22, 2009 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ryryryan

New Head-Fier
About a month ago I bought Q-Jays headphones, these being the first pricey IEM's I've purchased. At low and mid volumes the headphones sound fine, but when I pump them up to the maximum volumes on my ipod, almost all my music becomes distorted - to the point where it is distracting and not a pleasurable listen. I have CD rips of 240kbs mp3's so surely it can't be the music source?

Is it likely that I have faulty headphones? If so, what do you think the problem is? I regularly clean my ears so it's not a wax build up. Should I try changing the filters? I'm worried about damaging them in the process of doing so.

If they are faulty, would I have to ring Q-Jays to sort it out? I got them from iheadphones.co.uk. Would Q-Jays replace or fix them for me as it's under warranty?

Sorry about the bombardment of questions... any help would be greatly useful. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 5
I rather doubt it is the q-JAYS that has the problem. What you are describing seem more like clipping due to over-stressing the iPod output on max volume (worsen if you have EQ enabled).

Also, as weak as iPod output, it should be more than adequate to drive q-JAYS to very load volume even at half the volume setting. Why would you want to listen at such a high volume? You should know that hearing damage is irreversible. The whole point of buying a quality IEM is so that you can listen to music on a lower volume w/o losing out any sound quality.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 5
Yeah I know the ipod EQ is total fail so i never use it. And I don't actually listen at full volumes, but it just made me wonder if the distortion was even normal. i find everything at 75% volume is pretty much perfect. So apart from that issue I am loving these headphones, great sound isolation! though still getting used to and playing with the different fits. How far should it go into the ear canal? I use XS at the moment, and the right one still gets loose now and again... like pushed out. May try XXS later tonight when I'm home. I never thought i have particularly small ear canals... maybe i do.
Though I am bugged by the cable lengths. I noticed there is a 10cm extension cord on the website for the iphone, is there a non iphone one of this size? L or I shape is fine. Cause that would be a pretty much perfect length then. Right now I am cables ridden.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 5
Agree with ClieOS and Peter. I've had very few problems with distortion with the q-Jays. The rare times it has happened it is usually due to the source file, often a badly converted MP3 file.

That being said, filters do cause distortion when they're dirty, although usually it shows itself in just lower volumes and decreased sound quality.

Careful with using the xxs and smaller size tips. I liked using them but gave up after awhile because of earwax problems. The earwax (and water after shower) would gum up the filter pretty quick. I really liked the feeling (or rather lack of feeling) of having them so far in. It felt like the music was coming from inside your head.

The only other cause of distortion has been a cracked nozzle. Somehow one of me nozzles got a hairline crack. Rarely, that earphone will distort on a big bass moment.

Love the q-jays although you don't read much about them much on Head-Fi anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back