Possible portable alternatives for a V-Moda M100
Jul 7, 2015 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Yasspr

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Long time lurker here :)

2,5 years ago I bought the (then brand-new) V-Moda M-100s. I've been very happy with them for a long time and I've never had any complaints...until they broke down a couple of weeks ago, and the warranty had unfortunately already expired. The much vaunted build quality is not that great in my opinion because I've had multiple fractures in the plastic of the headband and now the right side stopped working alltogether.

Even though I can get 50% off another M100 using the Immortal Life program, the total cost of getting a new unit is much higher in reality because I live in the Netherlands (about €225/$250).

So I was thinking to myself: why not try something different? I have been getting a bit...bored maybe? with the sound signature of the M100's. I do like bass, and the M100s do bass really impactful and powerful, but I feel more and more this to the detriment of the clarity and vibrance of the sound.

Secondly, since getting a new smartphone (Nexus 6), I was somewhat let down about the pairing with the M100's: when comparing with my previous phone (Nexus 5), the bass sounded a lot more boomier and muddled, and I missed a lot of clarity in comparison. Now this is probably due to the source I know, and getting an portable amp might solve this. But I'm reluctant about carrying 2 devices with me on the road.

So I've got two options:
1. Get another M100 for a *slighty* reduced price (cause of import fees and high shipping costs to the Netherlands), with an optional portable amp that works well for my Nexus 6 <-> M100 pairing.
+Reasonably priced
+ I know I'm getting a decent sounding, portable unit
+ Complete package (carrying case, multiple signal cables)
+ stylish looking
+ can use it for DJ'ing
- bit bored with the sound signature
- doesn't pair particulary well with my current main driver
- not too impressed with it's build quality 

or

2. Get a different portable headphone. 
+ New and exiting!
- probably more expensive than option 1 (assuming the same, or above quality as the M100s)

I prefer the second option because I'd like to have a change in pace from time to time, and I've been reading some threads on this forum already and have come up with a short list of some contenders so far:

Contenders
- OPPO PM-3 (my preferred choice but really, really expensive to get in Europe (~$300 more expensive). So not really an option unfortunately)
- Sennheiser M2 wired
- NAD HP50
- PSB M4U 1

Sound preferences
- I listen to quite a lot of electronic music (deep house, lounge, drum n bass), but also indie pop, folk, jazz from time to time.
- I don't really want a truely neutral sounding headphone, I like a somewhat warm signature. 
- Portability is big factor for me
- I prefer to use it without a portable amp (unless you really recommend to use one).

Which option would you choose? And if it's the 2nd option, what headphone would you recommend?

thx in advance!

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 14
These: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Adidas-Originals-Headphones-Black-128554/dp/B00KVP5KY0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1436436884&sr=8-4&keywords=adidas+monster

a bit more clarity and a lot better soundstage than the M-100's while having almost as much bass as the M-100's, still plenty of bass but you won't have a drop off in volume

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 14
I have never heard of the Monster Adidas HPs. But I have to say I'm reluctant to consider a Monster headphone (don't they belong more in the uhm...Beats segment?)

A friend of mine had the old M50's, they were quite decent yes, but I remember my M100 blowing them away at the time. Are the new M50x much improved?

I'll look into the Sony MDR-1A. Momentums where already on my to-listen list 
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, I forgot to mention I have two other headphones for at home listening: a Sennheiser HD555 (8 years and counting with no defects!), which I like for it's laid back and open sound, but it lacks oomph in the bass department. The second one is a Shure 840: really nice clarity and forward mids in my opinion, beter bass than the HD555's, but not as impactful as the M100.

I'm definitely looking for a signature like the M100's, but preferably with clearer mids. And portable of course.

Keep those recommendations coming!

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 14
How about a Soundmagic HP50? I've read they are pretty decent as well. Maybe a bit bulky.

Shame there isn't one big store here in the Netherlands where they have all the brands and types of headphone I want to listen...

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 14
Secondly, since getting a new smartphone (Nexus 6), I was somewhat let down about the pairing with the M100's: when comparing with my previous phone (Nexus 5), the bass sounded a lot more boomier and muddled, and I missed a lot of clarity in comparison. Now this is probably due to the source I know, and getting an portable amp might solve this. But I'm reluctant about carrying 2 devices with me on the road.

That's strange. Based on gsmarena's measurements for both phones, the Nexus 6 has lower audible distortion. And, apparently, a bit more volume capability. I have the Nexus 6, and it does sound very good to me with my headphones. :)

How about a Soundmagic HP50? I've read they are pretty decent as well. Maybe a bit bulky.

I like the HP50s, but they do have a different sound from the M100s. They have some good sub bass emphasis, but you might be disappointed if you liked the bass levels of the M100s.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 14
That's strange. Based on gsmarena's measurements for both phones, the Nexus 6 has lower audible distortion. And, apparently, a bit more volume capability. I have the Nexus 6, and it does sound very good to me with my headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I was also a bit disappointed in this. It's hard to explain but the overall sound felt much more coherent and immediate when compared to my Nexus 6. The bass on my N6 felt much overpowering as well. I also never EQ'd anything on my N5, but on my N6 I had to heavily EQ to get a somewhat acceptable sound (to me).
It could be however that I just have to get used to a new sound signature, which I hadn't the time for because my M100s broke down shortly after I got the Nexus 6.

Do you use an amp with your N6 <> M100's? 

I like the HP50s, but they do have a different sound from the M100s. They have some good sub bass emphasis, but you might be disappointed if you liked the bass levels of the M100s.

I'm currently rediscovering my Shure's 840 and I do think a bit less bass emphasis might be what I'm looking for. I appreciated the extra clarity and detail on these, but when the music really starts pumping I long for a more impactful bass, which the M100s have loads of 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 14
Do you use an amp with your N6 <> M100's? 

I don't own the M100s. I have only demoed them a couple of times. I wouldn't think they would necessarily need an amp for me with the N6, based on their measured sensitivity and other headphones I have.

I'm currently rediscovering my Shure's 840 and I do think a bit less bass emphasis might be what I'm looking for. I appreciated the extra clarity and detail on these, but when the music really starts pumping I long for a more impactful bass, which the M100s have loads of :rolleyes:

Check out these two sets of measurements for the HP100 (apparently about the same as the HP150) and the 840s:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SoundMAGICHP100.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH840.pdf

Note how the 840s are fairly linear starting in the mids down into the bass until around 60hz where they start rollling off. Then look at the HP100s where the have a bass boost in the lower bass region. Won't be the same as the M100s, where the bass starts to rise in comparison the mids in the upper mid bass region: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM100.pdf. But the HP100/HP150s do have more bass emphasis than the 840s. Note that because the bass doesn't start to rise on the HP100/HP150s until about 100hz or so, it tends to be more bassy with music like EDM which has more sub bass. But like when I listen to classic rock which typically doesn't have much sub bass (mostly mid bass), only a little bit of bass emphasis.

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 14
Yes, I was also a bit disappointed in this. It's hard to explain but the overall sound felt much more coherent and immediate when compared to my Nexus 6. The bass on my N6 felt much overpowering as well. I also never EQ'd anything on my N5, but on my N6 I had to heavily EQ to get a somewhat acceptable sound (to me).
It could be however that I just have to get used to a new sound signature, which I hadn't the time for because my M100s broke down shortly after I got the Nexus 6.

Do you use an amp with your N6 <> M100's

I have the nexus 5 and the nexus 6. The 6 sounds cleaner with a wider soundstage and methinks the output impedance is quite a bit lower on it, because with the 5 I've often found the headphones take on a different flavor due to bad damping. Tested with Sony 1A, H3, Momentum and M50X. The m100 seems to react to higher impedance with an upper mids lift and more air past 10khz thus = more clarity and less overpowering bass. The m100 measures in at 36 ohms and the nexus 5 is 10ohms.

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 14
I have the nexus 5 and the nexus 6. The 6 sounds cleaner with a wider soundstage and methinks the output impedance is quite a bit lower on it, because with the 5 I've often found the headphones take on a different flavor due to bad damping. Tested with Sony 1A, H3, Momentum and M50X. The m100 seems to react to higher impedance with an upper mids lift and more air past 10khz thus = more clarity and less overpowering bass. The m100 measures in at 36 ohms and the nexus 5 is 10ohms.

Wow, that is exactly opposite of what I experienced. But that is from memory and I can't really compare them without the N5 (or a M100). 

I did however experience that my N6 at max volume had just barely enough power to boost the sound levels to my favorite level. I prefer to have one or two 'ticks' of the volume slider. Or I could just use an amp.

However, all these conflicting observations are making me think that maybe my M100s were already defective but not obviously? Could be. 

In any case I'm planning in listening to the Sennheiser Momentums 2.0 and the Sony MDR-1A this weekend and comparing them to some borrowed M100s. 

I also found a nice headphone store in Amsterdam with some less common brands which I'd like to listen.

Thanks for your feedback on the nexus 6! How do you I would like the Momentums?

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 14
Wow, that is exactly opposite of what I experienced. But that is from memory and I can't really compare them without the N5 (or a M100). 

I did however experience that my N6 at max volume had just barely enough power to boost the sound levels to my favorite level. I prefer to have one or two 'ticks' of the volume slider. Or I could just use an amp.

However, all these conflicting observations are making me think that maybe my M100s were already defective but not obviously? Could be. 

In any case I'm planning in listening to the Sennheiser Momentums 2.0 and the Sony MDR-1A this weekend and comparing them to some borrowed M100s. 

I also found a nice headphone store in Amsterdam with some less common brands which I'd like to listen.

Thanks for your feedback on the nexus 6! How do you I would like the Momentums?

What I'm saying is that the nexus 5 makes the m100s sound better because they give it more air and less overpowering bass, this isn't unusual, which is why lots of people use high impedance tube amps to power some headphones. The Nexus 5 at 8/15 is louder than nexus 6 at 8/15 on the volume slider, the nexus 6 needs about 10/15 to Be as loud.

I haven't heard the Momentums 2, I have the originals. I don't think they'd satisfy you coming from M100s unless you're really serious about a total opposite sound signature. I'm willing to bet you'll like the 1A a lot though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back