1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Possible Nigerian scam

1. nofarewell
    In 2017.
    He reacted to a WTB classified of mine. First he registered here under
    the name "Shanbeygo". By Monday morning this message was in my box:
    "Shannon here! Decided to drop you a PM in respect to your ad placed. Email Gulley in WI, gulleycarons@gmail.com I think he has a Aiwa HP-V99 for sale.
    Have a nice day!"
    This was suspicious enough, especially that it was written during the night and the guy
    deleted the nick by the morning. But I played along as if I didn't suspect anything.
    The terms were the usual: cannot send pictures now but don't want to **** around either,
    if I want to buy it, I must pay asap to a Western Union acc. :) :)
    He waited until today and sent one picture which I traced back to a taobao auction in 10 seconds.
    When I confronted him that I know he just wants to rip me off with a link I found,
    he somehow apologized. I didn't know if this was more pathetic or funny. Pic attached, let this story be
    a testimony that this kind of thing still exists unfortunately. Be aware, demand authentic photos,
    and always use Paypal, Goods+Services! :point_up_2: And of course - if someone is from Wisconsin, you can
    expect he writes somehow that is more closely resembles a US citizen.
    c p gulley.JPG

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  2. thegreatpeng
    Shoot man, I just got scammed by the same person in the same way! this same Ahole Gulley said he would be on an emergency trip right after I sent the payment, and never responded my messages. dan it I was lucky that I did not use MoneyGram or Walmart money order as he asked, but instead paypal. If I have not seen your post here I would have still been waiting for his response like an idiot. Thanks man for saving my time.

3. Currawong Contributor
    A funny thing: Back when I was an admin, I had to make the red warnings at the top of the classifieds larger and larger, i think until they reached about 18-24 point text -- ie: HUGE, before anyone would read them and we'd stop getting weekly PMs about being scammed. Now that they are smaller, I guess people aren't reading them again, and current moderators haven't updated them with the latest details. Click below.

SCAM WARNINGS! IMPORTANT READING!

Hawaiibadboy likes this.
  4. nofarewell
    Wow Dude I never thought I would actually help with it, then I am even more glad that it is here. :)
    Cheers

5. thegreatpeng
    Absolutely! also the paypal address he used as part of the scam was

matchboxb@aol.com

in case anybody who doesn't know. I feel lucky that I have written the notes of what the payment is for, because he seems to have some following tricks for the paypal review, as he claimed that the payment was actually a refund etc. I have escalated the case to paypal dispute team, and I will update the result after the 10-day review period.

Be aware of this s**ker!