Possible JH-16 Problems?
Jul 10, 2010 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

flyboy

New Head-Fier
Good morning all!  I've been lurking here for a while...what a great place this is!   I ordered a pair of JH-16's that came in a couple of days ago.  Before I get into the issue, I want to say what a great company JH Audio is.  Its rare to find a company with people who are genuinely interested in getting the customer exactly what they want as opposed to just filling in their bottom line.  Everyone there has been extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly.

So, down to it:  JH-16's arrived on Thursday.  The look, build quality, comfort, and sound isolation are all top notch - exactly what I'd expect from a pair of ~$1000 IEMs.  I've been doing a fairly extensive amount of listening to them over the past few days and it seems that all of the low mids and some of the mids are rather muddied and un-defined.  The detail that can be heard in the high end is amazing, I'm noticing things in songs that I've never heard before.  Down in the low mids though, the sound is less than stellar.  There are details like tom hits that just aren't coming through on the JH-16's that I can make out clear on day on other headphones and even my stock car stereo (to try to keep everything on a level playing field, I've been using the same source for all of my listening...even the car stereo comparisons).

I've tried moving them around in my ears (as much as I can...the fit is so good that that is a challenge) to no avail.  I figure the problem is one of three things: 1) a slightly bad fit that is hampering some of the detail from getting though, 2) a problem with the IEMs themselves, or 3) I'm just not used to the sound signature and this is a normal thing.

I was going to give JHA a call on Monday when they open and chat with them about it, but in the mean time, I wanted to see what folks here thought.

Thanks guys!

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 5
1) What gears are you using them with ?
2) File format/ bit rate ?

Does it occur occansionly ? Or just a few tracks in a certain album ? << bad recording ?

Who knows, but the chances that something happen to the drivers are quite small, considering that they are quite new.
But it is still possible.

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Could be my imagination, but I found that after a week my JH16's keep sounding better and better.  Not sure if they need to break in, or what, but at first I preferred my Klipsch X10i's for mid/highs, but now I go to my JH16's everytime.

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 5
I suspect your source, what player are you using?  Are your files lossless or at the very least 320kbps?
A lot of times with customs the bass will be bad if you don't have a good seal too, it's very common for people to have to send customs back a few times before they get the perfect fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back