Possible hardware issue with Headphones?
May 12, 2015 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Joscco

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm new to the site, and recently got interested in buying some better equipment for listening to music but it's still a work in progress.

I recently bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones about 2 months ago, and they sound awesome but I've ran into an issue as of a few weeks ago. Basically what's happening is on the left side, I'm hearing vibration noises, and weird clicky sounds when the song I'm listening to either has a lot of bass, or I have them turned up loud. It doesn't have to be drastically loud, just a little louder than normal. Another thing, is even if I don't have music playing, and I tap the outside of the left earphone, in certain spots I hear that noise which makes me think something might be loose? If I grab the outside and slightly shake it, or move my head back and forth I also hear it.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I took out the screws just to take a look inside to see if anything seemed out of the ordinary and I found nothing weird or out of place, from my limited knowledge at least. I will say, that I did drop them on the ground on accident, it wasn't a bad fall but they did hit the ground while in the carrying case. I didn't notice this issue for at least a few weeks after so I'm not sure what's going on. The sound on the left side IS fine though, no weird noises or levels in sound but it comes up with high bass, turned up levels or moving it physically.

If I did damage these, I'll have to bite the bullet and grab another pair but if possible, I was interested to see what your guys take on what happened is.

Thanks for the help!

May 13, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 4
Could be a problem with the driver. Your M50X should still be under warranty. I'd consider sending them in if this behavior happens across multiple devices.

May 13, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 4
Could be a problem with the driver. Your M50X should still be under warranty. I'd consider sending them in if this behavior happens across multiple devices.

Ok thanks for the information. It was my fault, but I bought it new from Amazon and I bought it from a seller that was fulfilled by Amazon because I don't believe they had it in stock at that time, and when I looked on the Audio Technica website earlier they listed the seller I bought from as an unauthorized retailer so I don't believe I'd be eligible for the warranty as far as I know. I definitely won't make that mistake again lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back