Possible damage on using headphones for listening to vinyl without "subsonic filter"
Feb 28, 2022 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DiegoBRRSPF

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I have a Focal Clear headphone and usually use it to listen to digital content. But recently I wanted to start to use the Clear to appreciate my vinyl collection. When using loudspeakers, I always use the "Low cut" / subsonic filter on my integrated amplifier while playing records. I know you know the reason, but just for context, taking from the internet:

"you may notice your woofers being pushed back & forth, even though you are listening at a moderate level. This is due to the subsonic energy that the cartridge is retrieving but is below our listening capability, though the amplifier & loudspeakers will try to reproduce this. Not to mention that there are not acoustic instruments that can play so low. The Low Cut Filter will cut off the low frequency energy that you are not able to hear and spare your amplifier of the heavy, unnecessary load."

So, because of all that, I always use this "Low cut" / subsonic filter on the amplifier, to prevent this unnecessary load of the speakers, or even damage.

But, neither my headphone amplifier nor my phono stage have this feature.

So, my question is: not using the "Low cut" / subsonic filter can cause a damage to the headphone drivers?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 7
Nah. You should be fine.

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi!

I have a Focal Clear headphone and usually use it to listen to digital content. But recently I wanted to start to use the Clear to appreciate my vinyl collection. When using loudspeakers, I always use the "Low cut" / subsonic filter on my integrated amplifier while playing records. I know you know the reason, but just for context, taking from the internet:

"you may notice your woofers being pushed back & forth, even though you are listening at a moderate level. This is due to the subsonic energy that the cartridge is retrieving but is below our listening capability, though the amplifier & loudspeakers will try to reproduce this. Not to mention that there are not acoustic instruments that can play so low. The Low Cut Filter will cut off the low frequency energy that you are not able to hear and spare your amplifier of the heavy, unnecessary load."

So, because of all that, I always use this "Low cut" / subsonic filter on the amplifier, to prevent this unnecessary load of the speakers, or even damage.

But, neither my headphone amplifier nor my phono stage have this feature.

So, my question is: not using the "Low cut" / subsonic filter can cause a damage to the headphone drivers?

Thanks in advance!
The most typical problem is how the vinyl itself will shake from sub frequencies coming out of speakers, then the turntable loops it back to the speakers. When your "woofer" is your headphone, the risk of it shaking the vinyl with low frequency is pretty much limited to you headbutting the turntable, or you jumping around on a wooden floor ^_^.
I guess there could still be fairly significant amount of subs in your room coming from traffic outside, but that hopefully for you will remain tens of dB below what could happen when listening to a track loudly with a woofer, making it an unlikely mechanical danger for your headphone.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to vinyls given how I stopped using them as soon as I heard my first CD, So others will have to correct me and add whatever possible danger there could be that would support leaving the filter ON with headphones anyway.

Mar 1, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 7
The most typical problem is how the vinyl itself will shake from sub frequencies coming out of speakers, then the turntable loops it back to the speakers. When your "woofer" is your headphone, the risk of it shaking the vinyl with low frequency is pretty much limited to you headbutting the turntable, or you jumping around on a wooden floor ^_^.
I guess there could still be fairly significant amount of subs in your room coming from traffic outside, but that hopefully for you will remain tens of dB below what could happen when listening to a track loudly with a woofer, making it an unlikely mechanical danger for your headphone.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to vinyls given how I stopped using them as soon as I heard my first CD, So others will have to correct me and add whatever possible danger there could be that would support leaving the filter ON with headphones anyway.
^ this

Also, if it was a danger - believe it when mfrs such as Clear, Sennheiser, Audeze, etc. would've recommended it long ago and provided it on their amplifiers (for those headphone mfrs that make amplifiers). There are also sufficient DIY-ers who would've done so years ago, some of whom have designed their own phono stages (Pete Millett comes to mind). It's just a totally different scenario when you are talking about power amplifiers connected to speakers. The potential resonance loop that castleofargh mentions is also a danger with speakers. Headphones simply aren't in that category.

Another thing to note - NO filter is perfect. They may call it a "subsonic" filter, but it will also have a measurable effect into the audio band. I guarantee you will see a drop in response at 20 Hz, if not higher, with a subsonic filter. IMHO, the best method to combat this is to select a turntable with the lowest rumble specs possible, not with a subsonic filter.

Mar 1, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 7
The potential resonance loop that castleofargh mentions is also a danger with speakers. Headphones simply aren't in that category.

It really depends. Sometimes it's "in one ear, out the other" :D

On a related note, RME recently strengthened the DC detection for the ADI-2 FS DAC and it seems to have been engaging a bit aggressively. I'm way behind in reading the posts so haven't reflashed, and won't until I understand a bit more about it. DC kills headphones, bass will not kill headphones :)

Mar 1, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Hello guys!

First of all, thank you so much for this overwhelming and prompt response. Wish I could return this wisdom and kindness :)

Well, with all this feedback I consider myself free of fear and will enjoy my vinyl collection without any worries :) As a rock fan I like my music usually loud, but as I live in a small apartment this is a challenge - neighbors really are not that understanding about that :) So a very good headphone as the Clear as helped me to enjoy my records without any concerns.

By the way: before starting this thread I did some research on the subject, and found no helpful results... found some threads about the matter in a way, but nothing that specific.

Thanks you so much!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back