Positive review of Sony speakers
May 31, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 20
That's funny. I remember listening to these (or another Sony that looked exceptionally similar, surely of the same family) and being very surprised that they sounded as good as they did.

May 31, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 20
I've seen these speakers but haven't listened to them. If the review is accurate, these speakers sound like bargains.

I do have a pair of Sony speakers from 18 years ago. My first speakers. Not the best sounding, but they still work after taking a lot of abuse in those 18 years.

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 20
I remember Stereophile raving over a pair of Sony speakers several years back when I was still a subscriber. The SS-M9s, I think.

Here's a link to a Stereophile review of the the SS-M9's successor.

Stereophile Sony Review

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 20
I saw that the bookshelf version (6.5" woofer) is 107/pair and was like WHOA!...I might see if I can pick up a set of these for the theatre.

I remember those absurd ES speakers they put out, shaped like pyramids but very nice indeed. lol, that link is what I'm thinking of, but the "bookshelf" version was nice too.

I like this part: Quote:

The SS-K70ED is a three-way, with a 6.5-inch woofer, 10-inch carbon dome tweeter

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 20
One of my local circuit city's might have 'em. I might pick them up if I can find them. (I'm in need of some speakers so yeah..) I wonder if these compare to the Mission m73i...

Jun 2, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 20
My local CC or BB don't have them....
frown.gif

eBay has nothing...
eek.gif

NOTHING!!!
mad.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 20
CC carried those speakers a couple of years ago, Sony was trying to make an upper tier line of speakers and CC was one of the stores that helped promote them.

Its been a while since Ive gone to CC as their speaker selection is very low end stuff at locked msrp prices. I didnt know they stopped carrying those sony's though

try Fry's electronics, they sell all the sony speakers.

Jun 5, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 20
I got a hold of an open-box pair at Circuit City. I'll hopefully be able to see them sometime in the next two weeks. If I like them I'll buy them. The CC closest to me only had the bookshelf but I asked if any other stores close to me had it and they did! (two stores did, but one store only had one speaker...7.1???)

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 20
To make a good pair of speakers nowdays is not a secret, good drivers are relatively cheap, and available for thousands of sources, and IMO the most expensive part is the cabinet, for a multimillionarie company like Sony, that should not be a problem, I don't see why Sony, nor any other could do a decent pair of spekers, if Axioms, or Dynaudio, Tannoy, can....there is no secret nowadays on that techonology, believe me, and even on the DIY world you may find extremelly good sounding speakers....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back