Portland Oregon
May 31, 2005 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

meat01

Headphoneus Supremus
My wife and I are visiting Portland in June and were wondering where we should go? We will be staying downtown. We were probably going to drive to the coast one day, go to the Columbia River (don't know where to go though) and maybe check out some wine country (again don't know where). Any other suggestions on what to do or where on the Columbia River to check out.

May 31, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 15
It depends on where you are coming from and what your interests are. For urban stuff, there's Northwest Portland and The Pearl district and Hawthorne area. Microbrews are great around here. There's Rogue, Lucky Labrador and Bridgeport. For the more "adult" entertainment there's Dante's Sinferno show on Sundays, which is a burlesque show, not your typical strip show. There's a couple great wine tasting places, citysearch has a pretty good guide. For the art minded, there's First Thursday (depending what day in June your coming) which happens on the first thursday of every month. Saturday market along the waterfront goes on Saturday and Sunday and is a great place to spend the day. If you list some of your interests, I can narrow down the suggestions a bit.

May 31, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 15
Oregon is overflowing with microbrews, i've learned that much, and if you are interested in some cool sealife I can help you out there: tons of places to go for that on the coast (free too). Or you could just drop on by the portland headfi meet on june 18th!!
rs1smile.gif
i'll pop a link to this thread onto the meet thread to see if anyone has any ideas for you.

May 31, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
My wife and I are visiting Portland in June and were wondering where we should go? We will be staying downtown.

Good move #1, lots of great food downtown, both cheap and not. Any of the standard guides can give you good tips, though Jake's (two restauraunts, Grill vs. Seafood, take your pick, both good) is a personal favorite downtown.

If you have a particular taste, state it and I can probably give you some examples.

There are also some interesting sights downtown and nearby, be sure to visit the japanese rose gardens at washington park if you are so inclined, walk the water front park, check out the different bridges, etc.
Quote:

We were probably going to drive to the coast one day,

One day's a tough one, there's so much to see
smily_headphones1.gif
Cannon Beach is the typical Oregon coast landmark, but there are many interesting stops in lincoln city, depot bay, and all around.
Quote:

go to the Columbia River (don't know where to go though)

It's the standard tourist trap, but you should go to Multnomah Falls. Also, there are many small falls and hikes all up and down the gorge. Pick one from a book that looks your style/difficulty, and you probably won't regret it. There's also windsurfing on the river, if you are experienced.
Quote:

and maybe check out some wine country (again don't know where).

By my understanding central to south willamette valley, but I don't know the best wineries. You might look on the web for current events and see if any tastings are going on while you're here in Portland or Oregon City or something. I know lots of people into wine but I myself am not.
frown.gif

May 31, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 15
I should have been more specific. We are flying in from AZ. I like Micro-brew. I think we wanted to do some outdoor site seeing, rather than art or museums. I was also wondering to Mount St. Helens is worth it?

May 31, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

I should have been more specific. We are flying in from AZ. I like Micro-brew. I think we wanted to do some outdoor site seeing, rather than art or museums. I was also wondering to Mount St. Helens is worth it?

Depends on how long you are staying, as Helens is a lot of driving time, especially since you are already planning on going to the coast. My family did it as a day trip once and it felt kind of rushed. Also depends on your interest in volcanoes I suppose
smily_headphones1.gif

Most of the items I mentioned were outdoor walks/hikes so hope that helps a little. I could post more tonight if you are interested.

May 31, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 15
Dont miss the Rose/Japanese Gardens in the middle of Portland. I don't know too many cities that have half a million people and still have room for a national forest right in the middle. Some of the most incredible vegetation I've seen though.

Actually, just driving through downtown on the bridges on the freeways is a treat. You can see most of downtown and the Columbia river. Just avoid them during rush hour. Oregon drivers really dont know what they're doing.

May 31, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Actually, just driving through downtown on the bridges on the freeways is a treat. You can see most of downtown and the Columbia river. Just avoid them during rush hour. Oregon drivers really dont know what they're doing.

Driving style is actually a good point in any city. The general consensus seems to be that Oregon drivers are fairly gracious but not terribly alert drivers (as opposed to the aggressive driving of most big cities). Lots of cell phone chatters. They don't go as the light turns green, they go after it turns green (resulting in a lot of honking from out-of-town folks). There are always exceptions, but basically this means you need to be aware, and patient. And yes, stay off the freeways at rush hour.
smily_headphones1.gif

The biggest danger to watch out for though is californians who recently moved to oregon though, they are the craziest.
wink.gif
(if you think I'm joking, I knew someone from california who strongly agreed
biggrin.gif
)

May 31, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 15
Go to Multnomah falls but take the old highway and stop at Crown Point. Beautiful view and a beautiful drive to the falls. Or, take the freeway to the falls and come back the old highway. It's a slow road, but very worth it.

I don't live anywhere close to Portland so I don't know all the cool places to go. But I do love going to Crown Point and Multnomah Falls.

Jun 1, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

I was also wondering to Mount St. Helens is worth it?

Mt. St. Helens is fascinating...all the felled trees look like God dropped a giant box of toothpicks. Really quite beautiful these days, actually, with everything growing back (although I haven't seen it since the '90s).

Also, the Columbia River Gorge is awesome, there's some killer hot springs if you can find them!

Jun 1, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #13 of 15
Welcome, Hoss, to the Too Much Information Tour. I, too, will be returning to Portland at some point during June/July. I'll be stopping by the grave of my belurved aunt, who won prizes for her poems about kinfolk murdered in the Holocaust, who taught me about prosody when I was but a mouthy centipede, and who happened to die on Thursday, May 26, 2005, at 8:45p.m. Since Jews don't believe in embalming fluid, her remains are rapidly decomposing in the Neveh Shalom Cemetery (the grounds of which, I'm told, are blissfully free of fangtards).

I'll also be visiting Oregon City, which is in certain ways the most disquieting town in America. Its cliffs, deserted stores, drunken municipal elevator attendants, misanthropic citizens (who often ask strangers, "what are you doing here?") and split-level personality have fascinated me for decades.

I might revisit the photo-ready Multnomah Falls for cathartic reasons. My father's behavior on the bridge above the Falls is responsible for my fear of heights. A sample of his Jacksonian dangle-tot patter: "Don't worry, son. You can sit right on the edge of the bridge and I'll hold you. No, you're not close enough. Get right to the edge. [Letting go momentarily] Oops! Saved you! Hahaha -- only kidding! [Letting go momentarily] Oops! Saved you again! Hahaha [repeat until kiddie vomit speckles the rocks below]!"

I also recall snagging tomes at an excellent independent book store in the Pearl District close to Powell's, though I can't conjure the name. (Was it called Oblation? If anyone else knows the answer, please prestidigitate.) Said store was reputedly the only place in the States to carry a certain hardcover of paintings by Trevor Brown.

I can also attesticle to the Columbia River's beauty, as I used to stay there in my father's boat house during the summer.

There used to be decent hiking trails amid vines, micro-wetlands, wooden footbridges, mossy underpasses and other oxygen-rich bio-scenery in Mary S. Young Park (in West Linn, near Lake Oswego); they might be there still (he said, stroking his gray frotee). I recall exploring same with a goggle-eyed 'lescent who later went insane and threatened his psychologist father with an axe.

You might want to visit OMNI and the Portland Art Museum; you might also wish to jaunt over Washington Park to squint at the synthetic roses that inspired the novel Geek Love, by Katherine Dunn. (You might also enjoy the park's Mozartean colonnades.)

My knowledge of Portland's bars and clubs is incredibly dated, since my last brief visit took place in 1998. Everyone here will direct you to the Rogue Ales Public House. Hoofever, I believe fervently and with salivating muzzle that the Horse Brass Pub caters to those who crave rare Oregonian beer-fare. (Rogue's Brutal Bitter was created for this pub.) I seem to recall liking the atmosphere and on-tap selection at the Rose and Raindrop (though that might not be the name). No, I haven't been to Lucky Labrador Brewing Company, but I've read good things about it and might make it one of many excuses to rediscover Hawthorne Street. (I've read that it's possible once again to sashay above the Willamette River in green leotards, which sounds inviting. When I last visited, construction prevented my rediscovering that splendid but dangerous pedestrian's diversion which all call the Hawthorne Bridge.)

What I miss most about Old Portland: the pre-ozone-shifted weather, which was overcast and far less sunny, and which seemed to cultivate mordant humor in seasonal depressives. Percentage-wheeze, I encountered more grim-witted foonts under Portland's gunmetal skies than in New York.

I'll know of posher spots after my return, o' course.

Jun 1, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt
I'll also be visiting Oregon City, which is in certain ways the creepiest city in America. Its cliffs, deserted stores, drunken elevator attendants, misanthropic citizens (who often ask strangers, "what are you doing here?") and split-level personality have fascinated me for decades.

Sounds like my kind of city... nice to see you posting again scrypt
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back