portapros rediscovered
Aug 4, 2002 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI ALL: I just rediscovered my portapros really for the first time. I have been useing my koss-35s but seem to requarie more bass and the portapros have just that more bass. With my new cmoy amp 2-9volt amp the portapros are really happening. Man what a difference a good amp makes. I mean clean strong wounderfull sound comeing out of all my cans. New guy a good amp makes a world of difference even for low ohmage cans.

Aug 4, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 13
Glad you've rediscovered your PortaPros, Lou. I should be receiving my new pair that I ordered direct from Koss last week to replace the ones...........you guessed it............that my dog ate.
redface.gif
I'm anxious to hear them again. As I recall, they were a bit bassy, but extremely lightweight and comfortable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 13
I think i've found the problem with my KSC-50s...

They (to my ears) need a really high quality, and high powered source... they sound like complete trash through my E905 Discman, and also through my CHA47... whereas, this thread inspired me to try them with my META42... and whilst they're not going to replace my CD1700s in any great hurry, I can now catch a 'glimpse' at what you guys find so great about the Koss line of headphones... the bass is definetly there (although the bottom octave appears somewhat lacklustre) and so is everything else... quite remarkable for the cost.

Also, (at the moment at least) the strange and annoying pops that plagued them when I first tried them appear to have vanished... I guess it goes back to the amplification again...

Aug 4, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 13
joelongwood
HI: The portapros can be a bit bassy but not if you cut a round hole in the pads about the size of a quarter and this also releases the mids and the highs. I will have to talk to your dog or have my dog talk to him about eating your stuff. Good luck with the new pair and please put them up high some where LOL

Aug 4, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 13
Duncan
HI: I thought that because the koss-35 and portapros were only 60 ohms that any portable amp would be fine to drive them. So I not knowing any better got the total airhead that cost a lot of money for what you get. I know nothing else. Then I got the supreme amp thinking that that would be better remember I know nothing else. Now I would like to say with all due respect to all headroom staff and TOD and TYLL That this stuff is real junk and for the money they charge even more junk. It took a way cheeper amp that sounds way better and is way stronger to open up my eyes to what I have been missing. I sold the total airhead and sold the supreme amp and will only buy amps from JMT or one of them guys. I still think headroom has nice headphones but then I find I can get them cheeper else where. Now to be fair headroom gave me great service and the staff is top rate and so is TOD and TYLL but their amps suck.
PS
I must keep this to the total airhead and the supreme amp both wich I had the mistake of getting.
PPS
Since I got ride of that junk and got a real amp my cans and music have improved greatly

Aug 4, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
Now I would like to say with all due respect to all headroom staff and TOD and TYLL That this stuff is real junk and for the money they charge even more junk.

Hey Lou, enough is enough. It seems for you there's only black and white. You either like something and we hear nothing but ravings in every damn thread going on here about it or you don't like it and you call it a piece of junk.

I also remember a couple of month ago that you raved about your supreme, what happened?

Please also stay away from misinforming new members about the airhead and the supreme not having enough power to drive Senns 580s. This is simply not true.

Please also take a look at your sources. I couldn't find anything even half way decent in your profile. You disqualify yourself calling the supreme trash by listening through a portable MD and radio. Perhaps the supreme is much better in revealing the junk you've got at home and the lower end headphones and amps are better in covering it up? I know from what I've got at home that good and bad stuff doesn't mix well. That's probably why the Etys didn't work for you either.

Unfortunately the buck doesn't stop at equipment. I also remember very well you first posts in this community about Beethoven and Miles Davis not being up to snuff with Pink Floyd.

I don't have a problem with people saying their opinions. But once or twice is enough and I don't need to hear the same record all over again and again and again...

Aug 4, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi
Please also take a look at your sources. I couldn't find anything even half way decent in your profile. You disqualify yourself calling the supreme trash by listening through a portable MD and radio. Perhaps the supreme is much better in revealing the junk you've got at home and the lower end headphones and amps are better in covering it up? I know from what I've got at home that good and bad stuff doesn't mix well. That's probably why the Etys didn't work for you either.

Jopi,

My ETYs to MY ears only sound good through portable equipment, where on my home setup, the extra impact of full sized 'phones wins me over... Thats not saying that the ETYs are bad, its just saying that I know their place...

My EJ1000 and E905, whilst not being of stellar [sonic] quality (I must admit I can easily tell the difference between them, and my kitted out setup) DO stand up with a certain degree of certainty with an amplifier... so to say that Lou's MD is trash... could be a little harsh?

I personally love my main setup (as listed below) but there are undoubtedly people who, even after hearing it would think its total trash... so be it.

This isn't a flame, because I do see where you're coming from... but, some people just don't see the need, or the want for multi hundred dollar systems... - Its all about justification, and if the supreme doesn't give Lou the wow factor, whereas the CHA does... then, isn't it Lou's right to comment to that effect???

Personally, I think i'm as contrary as they come... citing that I thought the V6 sounded better than the HD580s, that I prefer the CD1700s over anything else in my collection... that for a while, I thought my MX500s and D777 were the best thing since sliced bread... what has to be remembered, this whole hobby is part of a learning curve... if you went from a pair of Sony Q-Ears with a cassette walkman straight to a pair of MDR-R10s with a Wadia CD Player, and a killer amp... yes, you'd have great sound - but, you'd miss out on the fun... wouldn't you?

Aug 5, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 13
As someone who likes both Pink Floyd and Beethoven, let me say that they're both up to snuff
biggrin.gif

And the HeadRoom amps are very good. I have difficulty seeing how you could find a standard Cmoy - not even a Hansen board - better than a Supreme. Perhaps you need a better source?

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 13
Having bought Lou's supreme and about to buy his TA, Maybe I can shed a little light on this...

Having met Lou, I believe (and I could be very wrong about this) that Lou goes for more OOOMMPPHH when he listens to his music. I sold him the Cmoy (standard with Meier crossfeed) as we both compared our phones, sources, and amps. I don't believe texture and detail of music (how real it sounds) matter as much to him as sheer Mass of music. With the Cmoy he can crank it up and get more volume with his present set up than he could with the supreme or the TA, and he can get a better sound with the added volume. Wheras I and and a lot of others get blown away because of different qualities we get from our equipment, I like the supreme because of the texture and flavor it adds to what I'm listening to, and I can get this a lower volumes than he may be able to. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth Lou, I just think there may be some miscommunication going on.

And Lou, I certainly don't take offense, but in may not be a good idea to describe what you've recently sold as junk, as it may hurt your attempts in selling other things, maybe...

Just thoughts, and just trying to help.

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 13
Lou, you get these strong reactions sometimes only because you sometimes post very strong comments about some things you obviously have a passion for. When you do this you have to expect that someone who has an equal amount of passion about the subject, but has another view, will post something strong in return. That's just natural, and it doesn't mean you must stop posting.IMHO This is a great forum, where these folks who have a passion about these subjects will add to everything being discussed. So don't be put off by the fact that someone may challenge what you have to say (if you are even put off). It's just a reaction, everybody here wants to know what everyone else thinks about things, and we all want to know how we came to these conclusions so we can learn.

I know, Don't let the door hit me in the ass...
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 13
HI BILL: How are you? It is nice to hear from you. How are you doing with the supreme amp? I hope that you are enjoying your music. I am haveing a ball with the cmoy. I have been able to use my 890s in portable mood now to a good volume. When I use my portapros with it wow they really sound good. Its just amazeing how a good amp makes all the difference. I guess its those 2-9 volt batt. Sometimes I get put off and just back off as not to say something that I would regreat later but I am doing fine. Good luck with your sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back