PortaPro vs PX100
Oct 12, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 13
This will probably end up being a toss up as both are highly regarded among Headfiers. I have owned both and IMHO I honestly prefer the PX100's hands down. As long as they keep making them I will always have a pair on hand. I prefer their sound quality and comfort over the Porta Pro's. Don't get me wrong. I also love the Porta Pro's, but just love the PX100's more, and don't need both. PX100's IMHO are the best $40 audio purchase I have ever made. Worth twice their price.

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 13
This is possibly one of the most common comparisons on Head-fi and one of the most opinionated. Both have their pluses and minuses. In the end, it comes down to which one has the comfort for you (both are open and supraaural, but PortaPro has the temporal comfort pads while the PX100 has the Headband comfort pads), or it comes down to the music and which one just sounds better for you.

Personally, I picked the PortaPro over the PX100, but I tried the PX100 and I can see why people like it.

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 13
portapro = more bass? a wee less comfort?

px100 = more refined? more comfort?

up to you!

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 13
I already purchased a PortaPro from ebay and got a really great deal on them. New in box for $27 but I don't have them yet and seeing as they're unopened, should I go with a PX100, I don't think I'd have a problem unloading the PortaPro on someone. The reviews I've read have both of them highly recommended. The biggest con for each that people will complain of is PortaPro's funky style (which I kind of like but have yet to see them in person) and the PX100's comfort or lack thereof. I mostly listen to rock if that makes a difference.

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 13
Ditto on that. Nothing at all wrong with the Porta Pros. As far as comfort issue with PX100's is concerned, anyone complaining about discomfort with them must really have some sensitive ears. Those cans are far from being uncomfortable IMHO.

Oct 12, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 13
I may pick up a PX100 anyways while I can find them at a good price and decide later. Their portability is looking much better to me. What I should really focus on is getting a decent pair of closed cans without spending too much.

Oct 12, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 13
I agree, I hardly know my PX 100s are there when I wear them. The Sennheiser's detail is why I choose them most often, it has good bass response too. I got to admit I like the stronger bass of the Porta Pros, but I use them much less due to the different sound they present.

Oct 12, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 13
I have both, and agree with Ronnielee54. Also, IMO, the Sennheisers (being more laid back) work even better than the Koss for night-time listening (although both have taken me pleasantly to the edge of sleep many times).

It's typical of my non-systematic, side-grading audio experience that I have both ...

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 13
I'm on my third pair of PX100's, having lost two to my sister's cat. I've never tried the PortaPros, so I can't give you a comparison, but I can say, if there's one thing about the PX100's that I'm not crazy about (and it'd probably be the only thing), it's that they're too gentle on the head. If you're planning to use them as exercise cans or for walking on windy days, a stylin' headband should factor into your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back