Portapro/KSC-75 still king under $50 ?
May 15, 2009 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

goodsound

100+ Head-Fier
Its been a while since I have been in touch with whats happening in the headphone world. Have been pretty content with the K501 and KSC-75 I have now. but I wanted to get one more set of headphones. So just wanted to check - is the Portapro and KSC-75 still the champion under $50 ? or is there anything else ? Are they still in production ? Any current AKGs in that range ?

Sorry but IEMs and Earbuds need not apply.

Thanks!

May 15, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 15
JVC HA-RX700 is definitely competition... but they are OOS everywhere

Other than that... probably.. no..

SR60 is $60. Might be worth a thought

May 15, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 15
If you can find it for under 50, then the RX700 would put up some stiff competition FWIR.

Then you got the PX100, which sounds a lot like the portapro anyway, and the G2A, which is better than the KSC 75 (FWIR again) but is at the limit of 50$.

At the KSC75s price, I doubt there will ever be anything to beat it.

May 15, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 15
IMO they are still, and if not the best out there for that price, one of them at least...

Consider also that buying wisely you can get them for even less than that new...I have paid for the PP's about 25.00 per each, and I have 4 pairs, one is the 25 aniversary edition (a lot more expensive but about the same sound, just a sentimental value with a different cable, and diferent colors, IMO) one the PP2 that was sold only at Circuit city for $20.00, and two standard ones one still sealed that I got from an online store during the last black Friday sale, for like 25 each...

May 15, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #11 of 15
you can get a used K81dj for under 50, and with the TAC mod (tac in the inside of the cups) it definitely beats the KSC-75 in every way, and it also isolates, so it is better for portable use, except for biking (helmet) or gym or something.

edit: but, this is still twice as expensive as the KSC-75, which is 15-20 dollars. So I would say that the KSC-75 is the 20 dollar king, but not the 50 dollar king, depending on use.

May 15, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #12 of 15
I think the SoundMAGIC P10 is a far better headphone than the KSC-75... and it's under $25, shipped.

May 15, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #13 of 15
If you apply some mods to KSC-75 then it improves a lot as well. How do you compare KSC-75 to K81dj, when both are modded?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can get a used K81dj for under 50, and with the TAC mod (tac in the inside of the cups) it definitely beats the KSC-75 in every way, and it also isolates, so it is better for portable use, except for biking (helmet) or gym or something.

edit: but, this is still twice as expensive as the KSC-75, which is 15-20 dollars. So I would say that the KSC-75 is the 20 dollar king, but not the 50 dollar king, depending on use.

May 15, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 15
I think px100 and ksc75 are tied for sound. I own both and I listen to both depending on my mood. Ksc75's are very exciting, bright headphones that are great for rock. Px100s are much more laid back and smooth, good for listening to music to mellow out. Plus px100's are way more comfortable. I've never listened to portapros.

Grado SR-60 and AKG K81dj are basically the next step up. I've never heard the AKG, but the Grados sound fantastic. The only drawback is the massive sound leakage.

For the closed headphone category, I think the Sony MDR-V6 is the general best out of consensus. I made a thread a while back asking for budget closed headphones, and the sony's were mentioned more often than any other headphone.

I don't know much about IEM's, but for earbuds Yuin PK3's are the best.

May 16, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 15
Thanks everyone for the response.
I generally look for function over form, but considering the physical size of the RX700 and the unappealing P10, I am leaning a bit towards the G2A.

Maybe I might still get the RX700 just for the heck of it, to atleast compare with other phones, or just for secondary 'home' use.

wondering if there are any frequency response and distortion charts around for the RX700, P10 and G2A ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back