Portaphile X3 or Rockhopper PIMETA for HD-555
Mar 20, 2006 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kevin1592

100+ Head-Fier
I am going to get a Sennheiser HD-555 and I wanted an amp, because I heard it will benifit from one. So I narrowed down my choices to either a Portaphile X3 or a Rockhopper PIMETA. Which would you reccomend for me? When you tell me which one is better, please leave a reason. If you think neither, then please leave a suggestion in the $100 range. Thanks!

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 3
portaphile X3 w/Blackgates, A biasing. Why - 3 channel topology which is similar to Xin and other more modern amps........purchased with add-ons as I suggested brings it very close to the Portaphile 2^2 ........yes, I have an X3 with the above + DC back, and a Xin Supermini..........simply expand your budget ever so slightly.

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 3
IIRC the pimeta has only 8 hours of battery life.

Amps in your budget would be a pa2v2, go-vibe (used since Norm doesn't make these anymore) or another used amp.

The hd 555 is only 50 ohm (there's also a 120 ohm version) and shouldn't be hard to drive so the pa2v2 may be a good choice (it's only $60shipped). You could you use the extra 40 dollar to get an 595 instead of an 555 (at least here in europe, don't know about canada).

I must say though that i haven't heard this combo so you'd probably check around for the synergy between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back