portaphile V2 maxed or z-audio lambda for HD580s
Mar 29, 2006 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mplee79

100+ Head-Fier
The title says it all. I've narrowed it down to these two amps for the HD580. Help me make the decision. I listen to every genre of music. I want something powerful enough so that if I decide to go to the less efficient dt880 the amp will do fine with that as well.

Thanks for helping out!!

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 5
I can say with experience that the Portaphile V2^2 will drive dt880's and 990 with so much gusto the cans were shaking on my head, Ive never had that much bass! (note this was in low gain setting!)
I listened to it with cardas cabled 650's and 600's its presentation was silky smooth and layered with masses of detail, no sibiliance....as a grado man i was questioning my aliegence and nearly purchased some 650's after the meet.

Metallica's Sad but true from the black album had that low end fill that allot of rigs cant replicate. So good it was that I passed the cans around at the melbourne meet for others to hear, lots of shocked people.

The pv2^2 with double buffers can deliver massive current for a portable. I would safely say it will drive anything you want to hook up to it

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 5
nice match of hd580 and maxed pv2^2.
I used this rig as well.
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 5
This is not from exprience, only from reviews.

I would say the portaphile would be a pretty good match for the hd580's and most other headphones. Although the maxxed portaphile is $234 if I'm not mistaken, and you probaly would want to add a wall-wart, which is approx $30. So the portaphile, would be about $50 more than the lambda.

Good Luck,
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back