Portaphile Thread
Feb 5, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #241 of 425
Hey everyone,

I ordered my Portaphile 627 just a little over a month ago, and yesterday a very special package arrived...

As you can see it looks fantastic! and not as big as you'd think, the extra battery life is worth a little thickness.

It sounds amazing when paired with my iPod 5 Classic & Sennheiser ie 800's....stereo image is like...WOW...overall it carries a warm sound signature which is pleasing and natural.

I'd like to thank Cesar for building me this :D  I recommend his products to anyone looking to buy a portable amp.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #243 of 425
  Hey everyone,

I ordered my Portaphile 627 just a little over a month ago, and yesterday a very special package arrived...

As you can see it looks fantastic! and not as big as you'd think, the extra battery life is worth a little thickness.

It sounds amazing when paired with my iPod 5 Classic & Sennheiser ie 800's....stereo image is like...WOW...overall it carries a warm sound signature which is pleasing and natural.

I'd like to thank Cesar for building me this :D  I recommend his products to anyone looking to buy a portable amp.

Nice, I wish to own the 627x one day..hopefully soon...can you post more pics of it? IMHO it looks damn huge. Why I say this is, if I acquire it, I will pair it with my IHIFI960 which is massive too..So, potential super brick rig and may not be portable..

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #244 of 425
Pairs great with ie800. Also that is 627x
smily_headphones1.gif

Yea sounds amazing together! absolutely right 627x :D

Nice, I wish to own the 627x one day..hopefully soon...can you post more pics of it? IMHO it looks damn huge. Why I say this is, if I acquire it, I will pair it with my IHIFI960 which is massive too..So, potential super brick rig and may not be portable..

Hey sure I have taken a few more pictures, it is really not all that big, but I am using an iPod which is a perfect size. I have taken a look at the IHIFI960 you mention & perhaps would be a little too big for a portable setup, however, you may want to consider the original 627.

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #245 of 425

Hey sure I have taken a few more pictures, it is really not all that big, but I am using an iPod which is a perfect size. I have taken a look at the IHIFI960 you mention & perhaps would be a little too big for a portable setup, however, you may want to consider the original 627.

Love that contrasting yellow band lol... Anyways thanks for the pics.. I was considering the original 627 but 4 hours batt life is a no go for me sadly.. Yeah it would look like the ihifi, 960 and 627x together would be too cumbersome

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #246 of 425
It arrived and is now charging. Hopefully by the time I get back home it will be fully charged. It is quite a bit heavier than the 627 however the build quality is better.

Can you please elaborate on how the built quality of the 627x is better than the original 627. Is it the material used/fit and finish better?  

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #247 of 425
  Can you please elaborate on how the built quality of the 627x is better than the original 627. Is it the material used/fit and finish better?  

The casing is much more solid and also he is using a much higher end volume knob which some believe to change the sound. The unit feels very sturdy. 

My only negative comment is that the screws on mine have rusted a little but I got the early models.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #248 of 425
I have a `nude' non-anodized chassis 627x and the bare aluminium looks great. Cesar is also a good guy to deal with and replies to emails promptly. Oh and the 627x sounds truly glorious. 

beerchug.gif

Quote:

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #249 of 425
  The casing is much more solid and also he is using a much higher end volume knob which some believe to change the sound. The unit feels very sturdy. 

My only negative comment is that the screws on mine have rusted a little but I got the early models.

But the 627 case is still made of metal, just not as heavy duty and sturdy right? 

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #250 of 425

Killer setup man, i like it!

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #251 of 425
  I have the 627 and the 627x. I find myself preferring the 627x because of the massive soundstage and equality of presentation across lows mids and highs. I find the 627 to have really great mids, as previously mentioned by many. They are super smooth with high resolution and a more upfront presentation than on the 627x. There are many who pref the 627 over the 627x for this reason. However, doing an A/B test between the two, I don't think the 627x has worse mids, it's just that the presentation is not as midcentric as the 627.

The 627 manages to sound more realistic because of the upfront nature of the mids: as they're recessed on the gen2  the immersion isn't as intimate. But the 627x has that soundstage, so it's a different kind of immersion being achieved, which i prefer.
Cesar upgraded the potentiometer in the gen 2, and it really does sound like a big brother amp to the gen 1. After A/Bing for about 8 hours, I consistently end up switching back to the 627x for extended sessions. 

system:
MOG 320kbps streaming service > ifi mercury usb > ifi iUSB > ifi gemini > ifi iPurifier > ODAC >Audioquest Victoria 3.5 to RCA > ifi iTube > audioquest victoria 3.5 to RCA > 627x > headphone lounge silver occ custom cables on shure se846's.

Are you looking to sell the 627? If so, send me a pm. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #252 of 425
Cesar seems to be offering a new version of the 627, namely the 627 micro. He's also offering to upgrade to the MUSES01 op-amp for $50, but I have no idea what that will do to the sound.

EDIT:

I'm also torn between ordering the 627x or the 627 Micro. Decisions decisions!

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #253 of 425
Right, preordered the 627 Micro. It's currently on sale for $100 off its original price ($399 down from $499) due to the preorder period so I eventually couldn't resist, exacerbated by the fact that the 627X's sale ended and it returned to $599.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #255 of 425
The 627, since I desired a tube-like sound and already have the glacier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back