Portaphile or Supermini??
May 24, 2005 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jagger333

Head-Fier
hi, i'm new with headphone amps...so this would be my first amp

i have an ipod photo with E4C and am lookin for a portable amp...wit the new E4C the sound out of ipod is alot better than my E2C but still lacks bass in my opinion...(i used to have an iriver h120 used to use wow and trubass)...even when i put my e4c playin songs out of the ipod through my computer i hear better bass
confused.gif

so i've decided to shell out more money and buy an amp...the SM3 looks real promising but its about 400 fully loaded and i'm not ready to shell out that kind of money....my budget currently would be $200 or less...it is used to primary improve the bass of the ipod to iriver level....i'm currently deciding on either the portaphile v2 (heard many good things about it) and the new supermini(upgradable to supermacro) whenever that comes out....

i was wonderin anyone kno how those two compares wit one another (not the new supermini but an older edition) and which one should i get for the best overall sound wit BASS....also i will upgrade to supermacro later if i get the new supermini....is there a big difference in performance between supermacro and portaphile??

thanks

May 24, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

i was wonderin anyone kno how those two compares wit one another (not the new supermini but an older edition) and which one should i get for the best overall sound wit BASS

supermini with switches. the portaphile extends but doesn't add any bass.

Quote:

is there a big difference in performance between supermacro and portaphile??

No one seems to have both.
icon10.gif

May 24, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
supermini with switches. the portaphile extends but doesn't add any bass.

how about audio performance?? i heard portaphile is very close in performance to the SR71...how about the superminis?

May 24, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 5
I do not believe the new SuperMini is out yet. That alone would make the Portaphile the choice I would make
smily_headphones1.gif

I have an older version SuperMini V3 which, for the ~$60 I paid for it, I am pretty happy with. I used it with a Grado and Etymotic while I waited for my Supermacro v3 to come in. It is a noticable improvement over my Ipods headphone jack added a fuller, more spacious sound and better base impact with my Etymotics.

Hopefully your experience will be simlar with your Shures.

May 24, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

how about audio performance?? i heard portaphile is very close in performance to the SR71

"very close" is a relatively subjective.
biggrin.gif
It depends on what you value in sound. While IMO the portaphile holds up to the sr71 well, there are some things that you'll hear with the sr71 that the portaphile can' t touch-- hence why the sr71 cost twice as much (and justifiably so). In other words, the portaphile is a good alternative, but not a good substitute for the sr71.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back