Portaphile amp reborn!!
Jun 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #16 of 36
I have had in my possession the latest creation by Cesar, an OP627/BUF634 Portaphile amp. For those who do not want to read a lot then … I like it a lot.

For those willing to read a bit more ...
1. As in past offerings by Cesar the bass is very well rendered, with plenty of impact without being loose nor is it flabby.
2. A very wide soundstage about 5 rows back thus giving the music a very airy presentation.
3. The decay of the notes is excellent and the hi-hat and snare drums linger thus making for an enjoyable listening experience.
4. A detailed presentation that is easy on the ears, kind of the amp you could just sit and relax on a Sunday morning while reading the newspaper on your back porch.
5. The amp is very musical and engaging, at least to this old phart (53 YO) who listens mostly to jazz.

For the line out dock I used an old "Six Shooter" from ALO, for cans I used:
1. Yuin OK1
2. Westone 2
3. TripleFi 10
4. Creative Aurvana Live
5. Senn HD580

BTW, this amp requires a dual turn on as per Cesar's instructions it has to do with the voltage boost function which Cesar explains on the nincluded instruction sheet. I should point that being a class A design the amp runs a bit warm, would not be noticed if in a jacket pocket or a backpack. IMO it takes about 8 minutes after you turn the amp on before it sounds its best.

The unit has a gain switch so the user can select between a gain of 2 or a gain of 7. I listen at very low volumes so even with the Yuin OK1 i kept the gain on 2. BTW, this amp scales nicely with full size cans and I used a Senn HD580 which sounded very nice. The unit also sports a switch to allow the user to select between red and green as the on/off light color, personally I would do away with this feature and instead allow the user to choose one or the other. The light switch also functions to let the owner know when the battery is reaching a full charge (it blinks).

The amp is by today's standards on the large size but still in line with an iPod and slightly smaller than an iPhone (see pictures below). The unit I have on loan and may still receive some tweaks by Cesar, if so I would hope for:
1. Slightly longer run times, say 10 hours.
2. Slight extension of the top end.

Although the unit I am testing was already used by others I did not know how many hours of burn in it had so I first let it run for 60 hours before my initial critical listening. I then proceeded to burn it in for an additional 60 hours and I felt the unit's clarity, detail, and upper mids improved. I plan on burning it in for an additional 80 hours to see if any additional changes occur or not. Thanks Cesar for the opportunity to try this new amp, more to come.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #17 of 36
Hi Miguel

What's the deal with the dual turn on?  Could you go into some detail?

How come it runs hot?  My regular Portaphile doesn't.

What chips, etc? 

Tell me more, tell me more...... 
wink_face.gif

Eric

Jun 3, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #18 of 36
Hi Eric, the dual turn on is a byproduct of the voltage boosting circuit where the capacitors need to charge before the booster will kick on.  The amp will sometimes turn on on the first "click" of the power switch but usually requires you to turn on - turn off - then turn on again to get it going. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #19 of 36
Oh, and current amplifiers come standard with a blue LED as opposed to the switched LED (Red/green) that was available on the early versions of the 627.

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 36
Anybody knows how is compare to Alo RX 3 vs Portaphile 627 ?

From the price about the same range

Is the battery has improvement now to 10 hours instead 4 hours ?

4 hours is the sama like my step dance 1

Thank you

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #21 of 36
Since my last post I let the Portaphile 627 burn in for an additional 80+ hours so a total of 200 hours since I received it. Some do not believe in burn in and that is fine, I do and thus why I report it. I strongly believe the last 80 hours have further improved the overall sound by:

1. Micro detail is to the point you can hear the breathing of the singers in some songs, the snare drum impact cuts right through.
2. Decay, going back to the snare drum and saxophone it is very rewarding to be able to hear 3 and 4 jazz musicians playing together.
3. Upper mids extend a bit further.

Cesar, good to hear you are using the blue light instead of the dual red/green in the early models. I hope the light output is about the same, this because other amps have way too bright lights but the Portaphile 627 is IMO spot on!

Now all I need is to save money so I can buy one. Thanks again Cesar for loaning me the amp.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #27 of 36
Jun 9, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #28 of 36
Yup - somewhere between this thread and Average Joe's statement that this is the best amp he has ever heard, we could well have a blazing new FOTM on our hands, people. My experience is that 550USD plus postage will provide very little deterrent to Head-Fiers - inevitably, someone will be able to compare this to the Rx MKIII (I know - very different animal - but we all know someone will ask for a comparison) and the other usual suspects - Ray's amps, Stepdance and the Triad variants.  Still want to hear one of the Triad amps, but I've pretty much cured my portable amp addiction beyond that, 

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:
Yup - somewhere between this thread and Average Joe's statement that this is the best amp he has ever heard, we could well have a blazing new FOTM on our hands, people. My experience is that 550USD plus postage will provide very little deterrent to Head-Fiers - inevitably, someone will be able to compare this to the Rx MKIII (I know - very different animal - but we all know someone will ask for a comparison) and the other usual suspects - Ray's amps, Stepdance and the Triad variants.  Still want to hear one of the Triad amps, but I've pretty much cured my portable amp addiction beyond that, 

Yep, I'd like to see a comparison with the RX3 based on their similar price points, but would like to see comparisons of sound signatures, staging, pairing with high-end cans (HE-6, LCD2, HD800) and noise floor/low volume performance with sensitive IEMs.  Balanced output of the RX3 can't be compared, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back