Portal 2 is OUT!
Apr 19, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 13
I want this game so badly! The first was fantastic, but after looking up info about this one I am practically drooling on my keyboard.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 13
So far, my girlfriend and I are loving the humor. I hear it's much longer than the original, which will be a huge plus. It runs very smoothly on PC, but there are now load times between puzzles, rather than just one short elevator ride; but thats certainly permissible if the game is longer. The new character is pretty cool, too! Though my girlfriend is enamored with British accents lol.

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 13
I played the first chamber last night when the game officially went live on the PC. It was amazing, much smoother running than the first, and just as well done story and voice acting wise. I can't wait to get home from work in an hour or so and start to really put some time into it. From what I have gathered elsewhere, the single player is about 6+ hours including all easter eggs, listening to plot and exploring. Co-op should pretty much double that playing time, if not more. If anyone wants to play some Co-op feel free to PM and we could meet up on Steam. Would love to start gaming with some of the head-fiers as I am lurking here most of my days anyway :D

Apr 20, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 13
Great game being to end.  Even more epic and amusing than the original, with many quotable lines.  It has some interesting plot twists, and is a worthy sequel.  I hope it brings more people into the world and humour of Aperture Science.  The song at the end was just as good as the song at the end of the original but I still have to go with Still Alive as the better ending song.  The overall single player game was said to be about 4 hours which sounds about right.  I took me little over 5 hours start to finish but I usually takes my longer the first time.  Took me about 3 hours to play through the first game on my first run but now I can do it in an hour and 20 minutes.  Now Valve should be free enough to work on Half-Life 2: Episode 3: Chapter 1....... I've been waiting forever Valve!  Did anyone notice they released on time or earlier for once?  (Well the push back by a month or two at the beginning of this year; That was understandable but it wasn't pushed back like they do other games (and they tease you for years and years at end [Team Fortress 2])).

P.S. Where was mah cake this time?  There was only one mention of cake in the whole game.

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 13
Good to hear that it's worthy of being a sequel. From what I have heard they are already working on HL2:E3:C1(lol). This came from one of the 9 people that got "kidnapped" and taken to Valve a day or so before teh launch. They got to start playing teh game early, and the one guy hopped on IRC while he was there and did a quick Q&A. FWIR, he said that Valve said they are working on it, but they will not release any new info until it is done. There are some rumors that an HL2:E3 ARG(Alternate Reality Game), similar to the one preceding the Portal 2 launch, has started, but I am not up to speed on that. I also recall there being rumors that they did away with the cake references as it just got too rediculous and Valve got sick of the meme after this whole time. I don't blame them. I just hit Chapter 3 last night as I didn't have much time to play, but hopefully tonight will be better.

TheKisho: How is the Co-op?

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 13
I've not played co-op, and probably won't for the foreseeable future.  It's pretty good so I hear.  I've been pretty burn out after the single player and the leading up anticipation that it'll probably be a little bit before I play it some more or again.  Well Valve has been big into the ARG stuff for a while now, they'll probably continue the trend (which I don't mind).  I can never get sick of the cake meme though...  I'm sure they've been working on Episode 3 for a while now, long before Left 4 Dead 2.  They are just slow.  Oh we know a bit about the plot and things likely to appear in Half-Life: Episode 3, just not often do we hear about it.

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 13
Yeah I really got into the ARG for this and am pretty excited about future ones, even though I am not a huge Half Life fan. I never really played them much, but I liked what I have played out of them. Maybe after Portal 2 I will go back and play through them to prepare. I will let you know how the Co-op goes, as I have a few friends that I can play with, and who knows maybe I can convince you to hop on as well.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 13
Me and my girlfriend finished the co-op campaign this afternoon, in my opinion the co-op is more fun than the single player by far, provided you have someone to play with of course. We were playing for around 6 hours as well, so you don't need to worry about co-op being too short. Will have to get around to finishing the single player campaign soon.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #13 of 13
Played the heck out of it last night. I'm getting too old for a non-stop four-hour long gaming session, but I couldn't stop myself either. I'll probably put another four hour session in tonight.

It's great fun. So far, I can't really say the quality of the writing holds up to the original; the humor is less allusive and twisted and more straight-up mean. But that's a quibble. It's great fun.

Don't want to spoil it for anybody else so I don't feel like making any kind of detailed criticism right now. If you're on the fence about getting it, though, go ahead and get it. It's worth getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back