PortaCorda an upgrade from TAH ?
Jul 31, 2002 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HighwayStar

Won't excrete urine on your holiday (unless you do so to his first).
Hi guys,

I'm sure there's many of you who have owned/used/listened to both, would a PortaCorda be a worthwhile upgrade from a Total AirHead 3.0 volt ? Source is an mp3/cd (SlimX), output is to Ety 4P's.

Aug 1, 2002 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 18
OK, what gives ? (Is it a stupid question ?)

confused.gif

Aug 1, 2002 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
for $160 you can probably get a meta42.. just a thought.

i like my porta corda but i do not own a total airhead.

Not a bad thought at that. I'd have to inquire with someone who builds them. I'm looking for something small and if I was looking at the right pics, the META42's I've seen are akin to a Headroom Supreme. But I haven't contacted anyone so I don't know squat. What are you driving with the PortaCorda ?

Aug 1, 2002 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 18
whatever i feel like listening to at the time. although, generally it's my grado sr-325 or my ety er-4s. the only phone that i really don't use with the porta corda is the hd600 because i think it sucks with it.

Aug 1, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar

the META42's I've seen are akin to a Headroom Supreme. But I haven't contacted anyone so I don't know squat.

The META42 can be built in lots of different cases. I'm currently in the process of (hopefully) having JMT build me a META42. He said that the smallest case that it can be built in is 5" X 3" X 1" ; I think I'm going to get a few upgrades to mine, which will make the case 5" X 5" X 1." I'd recommend sending him a PM and inquiring.

Aug 1, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bdb55

The META42 can be built in lots of different cases. I'm currently in the process of (hopefully) having JMT build me a META42. He said that the smallest case that it can be built in is 5" X 3" X 1" ; I think I'm going to get a few upgrades to mine, which will make the case 5" X 5" X 1." I'd recommend sending him a PM and inquiring.

With all the positive feedback about these, I guess a little size won't kill me. Hummm, upgrades... there goes that wallet again...

Aug 1, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 18
Hi,

JMT just built me a Meta. Runs in class A on 2 9 volts.

I'd say, at this point early on, that it compares quite favorably with my Cosmic/Base station combo. The Cosmic has stronger bass, but the Meta sounds more refined and throws a deeper soundstage.

Aug 1, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Darn right.
smily_headphones1.gif

I really don't think its worth it to go from TAH to portacorda. Not enough improvement. . .

Thank you, you understood exactly what I was asking. The META42 on the other hand I'm hearing is in a different league. I've PM'd JMT for info...
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by joelk
Hi,

JMT just built me a Meta. Runs in class A on 2 9 volts.

I'd say, at this point early on, that it compares quite favorably with my Cosmic/Base station combo. The Cosmic has stronger bass, but the Meta sounds more refined and throws a deeper soundstage.

joelk,

That sounds SWEET ! Is it small enough (comp to a pcdp) to be portable ? And what cans are you using ? Thanks !

Aug 1, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #12 of 18
Hi again,

The case is the same size as the Cosmic give or take a bit. I've tried it with the Ety 4S, Senn 580, and Grado 200s. All work well.

JMT is simply the greatest. He's always patient with my questions.

Aug 1, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by joelk
Hi again,

The case is the same size as the Cosmic give or take a bit. I've tried it with the Ety 4S, Senn 580, and Grado 200s. All work well.

JMT is simply the greatest. He's always patient with my questions.

Thanks ! I've already PM'd him. I've heard nothing but good things about both him and his products. Now all I gotta do is sneak up on my wallet
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #14 of 18
i have only owned and heard the portacorda but i agree with everybody else's assessment, go for the meta42! it sounds like a different class amp for its price.

the only thing i would check is if it has a crossfeed circuit and depending if you like crossfeed or not, it may or may not be important.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
i have only owned and heard the portacorda but i agree with everybody else's assessment, go for the meta42! it sounds like a different class amp for its price.

the only thing i would check is if it has a crossfeed circuit and depending if you like crossfeed or not, it may or may not be important.

smily_headphones1.gif

Taoster, good point. I've only been using cans seriously since I got an amp (TAH) and have left the crossfeed on since day one. Headroom's explanation of it made sense (sort of) and I never thought to turn it off and see what it was like without it. Am I correct in assuming that the output of a standard source (like a pcdp) does not incorporate crossfeed ? (Wouldn't be built into amps if it was I'm figuring...) Guess I'll compare listening with it on then off. Will it be readily apparent or something I'll just notice over time ? Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back