PORTABLR AMPS LIST BEST TO WORST
Feb 25, 2006 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

charlie1

100+ Head-Fier
Starting at about $500.00 could you give opinions on starting at best and going down to about $250.00. (small belt rigs only please) I can go higher than $500.00 if need be. I now have the Micro-hornet and Larocco P/R II. Is their anything better out there or do I have it covered? Thank You CHARLIE1

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 15
I prefer the SR-71 to The Hornet, also the SuperMacro-III Version 6 is a killer amp which in my opinion sits between the SR-71 and The Hornet. However since it has a couple of features (bass boost and cross feed) that I really like I ended up with it instead.

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie1
Starting at about $500.00 could you give opinions on starting at best and going down to about $250.00. (small belt rigs only please) I can go higher than $500.00 if need be. I now have the Micro-hornet and Larocco P/R II. Is their anything better out there or do I have it covered? Thank You CHARLIE1

Well the ISA Diablo is supposedly going on production soon, so you could try that out.

Also from the portable amps that you have, which do you prefer? Also what headphones are you using with these amps?

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I prefer the SR-71 to The Hornet, also the SuperMacro-III Version 6 is a killer amp which in my opinion sits between the SR-71 and The Hornet. However since it has a couple of features (bass boost and cross feed) that I really like I ended up with it instead.

What do you like better about the SR-71 to the hornet? and with what types of music do you prefer the SR-71?

Feb 25, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
What do you like better about the SR-71 to the hornet? and with what types of music do you prefer the SR-71?

My music interest is mostly Jazz with some Blues and New Age. I found the SR-71 (med gain) with a larger soundstage, more detailed, and cleaner sounding. Having said that I will ad that both are great amps and the diferences are not huge. Good luck.

Feb 25, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo

Yep, the SuperMacro3 V6 is a GREAT sounding amp, and loaded with features. I love that it has a built in battery-charging feature too. It's a terrific product.

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 15
Where does the Portaphile V2^2 Maxxed fit in all this? I've read that they are decent and plus their price is fair too.

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 15
i find it ridiculous to spend over 200 dollars on a portable amp, even two is pushing it. if you just want a small platform battery amp that you can take from home to the office or something, that's a different story.

my favorite is still the jmt built custom cha-47 from a long time ago. for senns and etys however meta42 was a better match...

Feb 25, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda
i find it ridiculous to spend over 200 dollars on a portable amp, even two is pushing it. if you just want a small platform battery amp that you can take from home to the office or something, that's a different story.

my favorite is still the jmt built custom cha-47 from a long time ago. for senns and etys however meta42 was a better match...

yeah, the jmt cha47 has nice punch & clarity with certain cans like the kcs35 or eggos.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
2 of the top portable amps:

LaRocco Global Reference
Max'd PPAv2

They're both a little above your budget though, you'd have to buy used in order to fit the $500 mark

Ok I am confused. What is a LaRocco Global Reference? And what does Max'd PPAv2 stand for? Are these in production?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back