Portables - ATH ES7, Senn Px100-II, HD 238, or Denon D1001
Sep 8, 2010 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

budgetboy

100+ Head-Fier
I have the Cowon S9 and don't want to buy an amp. I like the sound of the IE8s and the M50. I want something very portable that is durable, comfortable, looks good, and sounds great. Under $150 would be great, considered the Senn HD 25 but the high price, questionable comfort, and dorky looks ended up turning me off. Isolation is not a big priority, but portability is. Also, I am not what you would call a careful person, so durability is important. Looks matter because I'm not awesome enough to walk around wearing grados. I'd like some information about the headphones listed in the title or your own recommendations. Keep in mind sound, durability, comfort, looks, and price.

Thanks

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 9
Now I'm no expert but I have the ES7's and I find they're sound definitely real nice. For style & durability they're definitely going to please, your problem you may find is comfort on long listening journeys etc but I only find this after about maybe an hour and a half however there is a mod where you bend the metal rods (sorry don't knwo correct term) straight although I've only done it partly 'cos I'm too afraid of snapping them but even what I've done hugely helps. The S9 will drive these fine so alls good there.

In comparison to the others the PX-100s arn't proper closed design so on trains etc you may have a problem however the the HD 238's and Denons I have no knowledge really of, I listened to the 238's in a store once and wasn't really liking the sound and feel so I'm happy I went with the ES7's but Denon are good and wouldn't be suprised if another person was to rate the Denons higher.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 9
i have the creative aurvana live, very very similar to the denon 1000d, i have to recommend them for being the most comfortable lightweight closed phone i have tried thus far, coming from someone who has thick framed glasses. sound is nice and fun, bassy and mid centric. try to get the creative's to save even more money as they are priced lower than the denon's.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 9
the ES7s aren't as cheap as they were anymore. I think audio technica discontinued them, anywho, IMO the PX200II sound very similar to the M50s but for the price (around $90) they just aren't worth it,IMO more of a stepdown (small, but noticeable) compared to the M50s, also, the owner of the local audio store and I were discussing the PX200IIs and to him, they're a bit too expensive for what they are and I must agree with him

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 9
how about a pair of PX100s? they sound a bit better than the PX200IIs and if they're the first gen (px100 vs PX100II) they're generally very inexpensive

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 9
Out of the ones that you have mentioned in your title, go for the d 1001. According to joker's headphone review (referring to the creative aurvana live, which uses the same drivers) they are a level in sound quality above the rest of those. I cannot say anything about comfort or build quality though.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 9
buffalowings, the headphone in the title was the 100, not the 200. but thanks anyway.
joev - how bad is the comfort really? I want basically perfect comfort, no fussing with the fit or anything. i can handle one-time bending though
about the aurvana live/D1001, I'm a little worried about the build quality but they might be what im looking for. Considering they're circumaural, are they a little big for portables?

Oh yeah and to give a little more detail - I am going to use these for biking but dont need isolation. I live in a city where biking is really safe, but I need to find headphones that totally block wind from swooshing in my ears. So open is fine, on-ear is probably preferable, and a tight fit would be good. Durability and comfort are also big ones. I will settle in the sound quality department if I can get the wind out of my ears

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 9
Errrrm from what zero7525 said I'd probably go with the Denons but you say you on a bike and want to keep the wind out of your ears, in which case if on a bike the clamping on the es7's may prove very benficial and especially when you say "a tight fit would be good" and build quality I can say is good.

Remember always try 'em out if you can 'cause the problem here is neither of us have used them both.

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
buffalowings, the headphone in the title was the 100, not the 200. but thanks anyway.
joev - how bad is the comfort really? I want basically perfect comfort, no fussing with the fit or anything. i can handle one-time bending though
about the aurvana live/D1001, I'm a little worried about the build quality but they might be what im looking for. Considering they're circumaural, are they a little big for portables?

Oh yeah and to give a little more detail - I am going to use these for biking but dont need isolation. I live in a city where biking is really safe, but I need to find headphones that totally block wind from swooshing in my ears. So open is fine, on-ear is probably preferable, and a tight fit would be good. Durability and comfort are also big ones. I will settle in the sound quality department if I can get the wind out of my ears

well, open headphones leak in and out a lot of sound, if you want the phones for biking, than a closed pair would more suitable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back