Portable VCD players
Sep 14, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
Portable VCD players has been around for awhile.

anyone know how it sounds?

Here's a short list of VCD Players.

Wait a second. Portable VCD's? So there is a video output you connect to a screen?

Why portable? Now you have to get a portable screen, and power for it.

John

Sep 14, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi,
They should sound great, especially the panasonics. They has been out a while in Asian Market(probably 4-5 years). VCD is very poppular in Asia. They are like MP3 for Video. Everything is compressed into Mpeg formats. Usually, one 700 MB disc holds 60-100 mins of movie. Some newer models should equip with MP3 CD/CD/CD R/CD-RW/VCD.
Quote:

Why portable? Now you have to get a portable screen, and power for it.

You always can plug it into your TV.

Sep 14, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 11
VCD's video quality is even lower than VHS.

Sep 15, 2002 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
VCD's video quality is even lower than VHS.

actually, sometimes it can be quite good. the fact that 90% of them are based on illegal bootleg tapes is what makes them generally rather ****ty. i can rip one from a dvd that looks pretty decent (at least vhs quality or very close).

and on the subject of the thread.. yeah, they're called laptops.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
They should sound great, especially the panasonics. They has been out a while in Asian Market(probably 4-5 years). VCD is very poppular in Asia. They are like MP3 for Video. Everything is compressed into Mpeg formats. Usually, one 700 MB disc holds 60-100 mins of movie. Some newer models should equip with MP3 CD/CD/CD R/CD-RW/VCD.

actually, this isn't true. an 80min cd holds 80 minutes of vcd. vcd's are also mpeg1 which kinda sucks, but is close to vhs for video and audio.

you're probably thinking svcd.. which is almost dvd quality at times. well, since dvd and svcd both use mpeg2 compression, it's just the fact that a dvd can hold 9gigs of mpeg2 compressed stuff when a svcd can only hold 700mb at a time. last week i made an svcd of the south park movie (81 minutes on one cd) and for half of the scenes you can barely tell the difference on my old-ass sony trinitron. it's also basically the same way you copy dvds that are bigger than the 4.7gb dvd-r/dvd+r media.
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 11
Grinch,
Quote:

actually, this isn't true. an 80min cd holds 80 minutes of vcd. vcd's are also mpeg1 which kinda sucks, but is close to vhs for video and audio.

What is not true??? Just curious....I've been using VCD for 4 to 5 years now.... Kindda strange that you think I refer to SVCD. By the way, VCD has two version: 1 and 2. I also have the portable VCD player. However, I can't really say what is the compression ratio is.

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
the fact that 90% of them are based on illegal bootleg tapes is what makes them generally rather ****ty.

In the Asian markets VCD is like VHS in the West. It's very hard to find VHS movies there, but you can pretty easyly find the same movies on VCD. Actually, Star Wars-Episode One was available in Asia first as a VCD. And most of the movies ain't bootlegs, but legitimate editions. The format is not as good as DVD of course, but it's very practical since you can play it on any CD-ROM, get a portable player for less than a 100 dollars or a component player for around the same amount of money. And it also plays on DVD players. There are some companies that sell VCDs in America. They ussually retail for around 12 dollars.

Sep 16, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
What is not true??? Just curious....I've been using VCD for 4 to 5 years now.... Kindda strange that you think I refer to SVCD. By the way, VCD has two version: 1 and 2.

you said this:
Quote:

Everything is compressed into Mpeg formats. Usually, one 700 MB disc holds 60-100 mins of movie.

and it is incorrect. on a 700mb cd, 80 minutes of vcd material can be stored. not any more (unless you overburn, which may get you about 81.5 minutes depending on your media). i was simply correcting you and trying to think of what you could have mistaken it with.

read this page if you don't believe me, most preferably the chart at the bottom:
http://www.vcdhelp.com/vcd.htm

[edit]: okay okay, i forgot about xvcd. it allows higher resolution/bitrate for a regular vcd (mpeg1) but isn't truly compliant to vcd 2.0 standards so they won't necessarily play in all vcd players. i wasn't aware that they made these commercially anywhere since a lot of players aren't compatible. sorry for the confusion. (http://www.vcdhelp.com/xvcd.htm )

Sep 16, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 11
"Actually, Star Wars-Episode One was available in Asia first as a VCD. And most of the movies ain't bootlegs, but legitimate editions. "

There is only one legitimate VCD release of the original Star wars trilogy, and it's a Pan and Scan cut of the film.

All the letterbox versions of Star Wars on VCD are bootleg rips of the LaserDiscs.

Yea, there are loads of legitimate VCDs out there, but unless you buy from a reputable site like yesasia.com, you'll find more crappy boots than good copies.

I can't stand watching VCDs. They have a lot of motion artifacts and macroblocking in dark scenes (even the good ones). As much as VHS may suck with introduced video noise and low resolution, it is far more watchable than VCD.

My solution: Own a multiregion DVD player and import anything that I can't find domestically. And keep my laserdisc player for Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 11
Grinch,
No problem and thanks for more info and thanks for more infor.

Sol_Zhen,
I can't stand watching VCD either. The picture quality is rather poor. In computer screen is a better place to watch VCD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back