Portable Use
Jun 18, 2002 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jglover

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I just recently got back into the headphone market after being away for many years. Mainly because I needed something to keep down the volume in the evenings. The last decent pair of cans I owned was a pair of Koss', I think they were the PRO 4X...anyway I bought these in the early 80's and haven't bought another pair since.

Ok.....now a few weeks ago, I ended up getting a pair of Denon cans (AHD750s) for a good price from a local audio shop. I must say I was blown away by the sound of these Denons when used on my home system as well as my portables. I was so surprised at how the qulity of the sound has improved in headphones over what I remembered my Koss' sounding like. I actually prefer the sound of the cans over my speaker system (dammit, that means I gotta upgrade those too!) But, the Denons are just too big and clunky to use on the train commuting.

Shopping around on eBay, I've managed to get a pair of Grado SR80s ($45+shipping) and a pair of Senn HD495s(17.50+shipping!!). However, as I use these on the trains, I'm worried about leakage as well, from both pairs of cans. So it looks like I need another upgrade as well, to get a decent set of closed cans for the train rides....gotta look around for an ebay deal on HD280s!

I like the sound of both cans on the portable, but it seems like the Grados can be driven much easier than the Senns. It takes almost a double volume setting on my portable with the Senns to equal the sound level of the Grados. Since both purport to be 32 ohm cans, my question is about the power necessary to drive these. Are the Grados just easier to drive than the Senns, or is Senn playing games with the specs on the 495s?

Jun 18, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Are the Grados just easier to drive than the Senns

Basically, yes. you will find it much easier to drive grados then most senns. The 495's *should* be just easy enough to use unamped though. Aparently they open up real nice with an amp (i dont have them, so i dont know).

I do have grados, and the 60s are the easiest thing in the world to drive. As you go up the line you will need an amp for the better sound, but you will most likely be able to still hear them without an amp.

Jun 18, 2002 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 12
Oooh, not sure about that. I've tried the SR60 and the SR225 on my MD's and CD portables (both offering 5mw+5mw output) and they sound, um, how to put it, 'hunched'. Which along with the openness is the reason I don't walk around with the Grados.

Comparatively speaking yes the Grados are easier to drive than many phones, but there are better headphones - if not in terms of sound quality, which is kinda wasted by using Grados on low-output devices anyway - around for portables.

Jun 18, 2002 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 12
I find that for portable use that small is nice. The awia vx100 ear cannell earphone is 25.00 + 10.00 shipping and very easy to drive and very small. Also the senn. mx500 for 17.00 sounds very good and is also very small and easy to drive. I have a car but on a train or buss I think that the awia with music playing might be a good choice. Some people use full size cans for portable but I dont think that cans that are bigger that your source like a mini disc player are not a good portable thing. its nice to be able to put all the portable stuff in your pocket if you want to. So for portable use I think small and I use my portable stuff 90 percent of the time if for nothing else than just ease of use and mobility and still requier very good sound. Then when I use my main rig it's a treat but I can get very nice sound out of my portable set up. Also I find the total airhead portable amp to be great on my portable stuff and gets max sound out of my what ever I use. My mini disc at 5 m/w just needs more power and I am willing to use a portable amp even though its a little bigger than my mini disc.

Jun 19, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Oooh, not sure about that. I've tried the SR60 and the SR225 on my MD's and CD portables (both offering 5mw+5mw output) and they sound, um, how to put it, 'hunched'. Which along with the openness is the reason I don't walk around with the Grados.

Comparatively speaking yes the Grados are easier to drive than many phones, but there are better headphones - if not in terms of sound quality, which is kinda wasted by using Grados on low-output devices anyway - around for portables.

I've found the Grados sound to be on par with the Senns with my portable but on the home system, the SR80s definitely shine. But, as far as "hunched" sound, I've really got no reference here, since the last decent pair of headphones I owned was over 20 years ago!
biggrin.gif
So, anything new today is gonna sound good to me.

Several folks have mentioned the 280's and I had some time after work today, so I stopped by and auditioned a pair briefly. Loved the sound and the comfort didn't seem to be an issue, at least for the time I had them on in the store, but they're just way too big for portable use. Certainly on my commuter trains, as most mornings we are pretty packed in and I sure the 280s would end up getting crushed in the bag...Chicago commuters can sometimes be, shall we say, insistent?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm leaning more towards the 495s for use on the portables I think. I did check out a pair of 497s today as well and they seem more closed to me than the 495s. If I can find another eBay deal, I may grab a pair of 497s, but if I purchase another pair of cans, I'm gonna have to start explaining to my wife why we have all these headphones lying around the house.......

John

Jun 19, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
I find that for portable use that small is nice. The awia vx100 ear cannell earphone is 25.00 + 10.00 shipping and very easy to drive and very small. Also the senn. mx500 for 17.00 sounds very

Canal phones just do not do it for me.......I just do not tolerate them well at all. I've read all the stuff on the Etys, but still, they go in the ear and I'd hate to spend that kind of money on something I do not think I'd be able to tolerate.

Jun 19, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by jglover

Canal phones just do not do it for me.......I just do not tolerate them well at all. I've read all the stuff on the Etys, but still, they go in the ear and I'd hate to spend that kind of money on something I do not think I'd be able to tolerate.

Buy from headroom and try them for 30 days. No likey, send backy.

Jun 19, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #12 of 12
cool.gif

cola - is that a picture of you??
smily_headphones1.gif

I would get the 280 pros. I use mine for portable all the time. they are built like a tank. they wont break, and they fold up. dont get open phones for the train. just wont even be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back