Portable Tube Amps
Aug 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

akong

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I only have a portable rig right now, and that's probably not going to change anytime soon. I currently amp my headphones through an iBasso D-Zero. It works well, but I'd like to upgrade to better sound. I've never had a "proper" high-end amp before, so I'd like to see what I'm missing out on. The caveat is that it still has to be portable, because the bulk of my listening is done on the go. 
I've heard a lot about how warm and nice sounding tube amps are, and I'd really like to try one. I have my eye on the Bravo Ocean. Is it very portable? Will I be able to use it with my S3 (USB OTG cable)? Are there any other better amps I should be considering, and why? Am I also going to need an external DAC, or is it built in as well? 

And are there any amps in general that sound really good and I should be considering? 

How noticeable will the difference in sound be with a better DAC / AMP? Is it worth all the extra money? 

Thanks! 

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 13
Aug 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 13
Aug 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Hadn't seen that before. Cool little mini tubes
biggrin.gif

Yep, it's a bit expensive since it is new and being so unique, but I think it's worth it if you are into tubes.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 13
Hi, I'm new to this, and i need a question answered fast.  So would one of you please go over to the thread that I started and give me a good answer?  The title of the thread is "I need new headphones!".  

-Thanks,
altrock1234

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 13
Hi, I'm new to this, and i need a question answered fast.  So would one of you please go over to the thread that I started and give me a good answer?  The title of the thread is "I need new headphones!".  

-Thanks,
altrock1234

You have three threads, and the last one says you are buying the M50s. Best advice: don't start more than one thread, and point your other threads to one of the ones you have :)

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 13
Yeah, I know.  I'm sorry about that.  But I'm sure if the M50 is portable enough for me.

Well, then, go point people from your threads to one. Best thing to do is post a link to the thread you want everyone to reply to. But don't start up a discussion here on what headphones you want. LOL

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 13
some comments on the tube amps i own:

the bravo audio v1 is nice, but somewhat grainy sounding, the bravo audio ocean is more neutral, better build, but both need some modifications to shine and also need ac power. instead of buying them i would invest some more money in something like the little dot mkI.

the cayin ha-1a is a desktop amp, also the dared mp5 i use in my office (but usb dac, headphone out, line in and 2x 13 watt speaker out for around 200 usd$ is a great price/performance ratio).

the alo continental v2 is a nice sounding portable tube amp with somewhat limited battery runtime, around seven hours, great soundstage and imaging, tube sound, somewhat limited in bass punch and deep bass.

i loved the alo continental until i got the analog squared paper tu-05b. it's (trans)portable, battery driven, runtime between 7 and 10 hours depending on the tubes used, and can compete with much more expensive desktop amps, really playing in another leaque. okay, it's around 900 euros, but then it will be your first and last portable tube amp you need to buy.

there is also the much cheaper but nearly as good tu-06, a tube hybrid portable version.

have a look at the reviews here or at the fast growing analog squared paper appreciation thread.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #13 of 13
I think the ALO CONTINENTAL is portable, and uses a single tube, if I recall correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back