Portable tube amp from china?
Dec 22, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #406 of 916
My Little Bear B4 + OPAmp Burson V6 Dual Vivid + ZiShan DSD mod. Burson V5-i + Alessandro MS2e 20181222_003747.jpg

Dec 22, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #407 of 916
is the b4-x only for high impedance headphones or does it work with any iems without noise?
Hi Onik, I am using the B4-X with IEM Shure 846 with very low impedance with no problems whatsoever. Sounds really good. Very light distortion, with a Tube touch. When I am back home in China I will try it with my HD800 with TRRS balanced cable. Will let you know.

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #409 of 916
The Aune B1 is a solid state amp (even if it is class A), the similarities are only aesthetic (and the name, the name is similar). It does not sound like tubes, which are a completely different animal.

By the way I got my Little Bear B4 in from the 11/11 sale, I really like it. The difference is more subtle than expected but it's really smooth and musical. Very enjoyable for most genres, but I wouldn't recommend for energetic electronic music and the like.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #410 of 916
The Aune B1 is a solid state amp (even if it is class A), the similarities are only aesthetic (and the name, the name is similar). It does not sound like tubes, which are a completely different animal.

By the way I got my Little Bear B4 in from the 11/11 sale, I really like it. The difference is more subtle than expected but it's really smooth and musical. Very enjoyable for most genres, but I wouldn't recommend for energetic electronic music and the like.
OK thanks, I already have a b1 and I m curious to listen to a b4 too..

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #412 of 916
Today a friend and I were comparing his Schiit Vali 2 and my Little Bear B4. We liked the B4 better on every headphone we tried. I'm very happy so far; on the other hand, he just bought an upgraded tube for the Vali. :sweat_smile:

That B4 is a blast. I just love the sound signature. I can only hope the Vali sounds half as good with the EH tube.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #413 of 916
What opamps does the B4X use? Are they Singles or are they balanced opamps?
This is the description from Aliexpress:
3. The circuit adopts dual op amp parallel output, with higher output power.
Tube: USA RAYTHEON JAN5899 ×2
Op amp: NE5532*2 (can be upgraded ) <--- BTW This is the same Op amp that Burson uses for the new Playmate

upload_2019-1-3_18-32-50.png

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #414 of 916
Is there any point in getting the B4X if I am just going to use it in unbalanced mode?
Is there any chance to keep it running on a charger? I like the idea of a little portable tube amp but if it can only run from battery that s a complete deal breaker for me.

Feb 27, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #415 of 916
Has any one switched the tubes out yet on the B4-X? My first tube amp so I'm curious.

I get some noise in the right ear piece. IEMs more noticeable than full size cans. Occasionally when moving the cable I can get it to go away. Not too bothered about it. Love the sound of this thing, does add some sweet butteryness.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #418 of 916
I just finished my B4-X project. I got my Burson V5i-D op amps today and swapped them in for the NE5532s that are in it as stock. The noise floor is no longer an issue and the full range is definitely sounding better at higher volumes with no distortion. I've been listening to it on my Audio Technica ATH-WS1100is' through an Audioquest cable. I used the stock cable from the headphones to connect my phone to the amp's input, which lets me keep the button and microphone functionality, but moves them down the network a bit. It also lets me keep my LG G7 far enough away from the amp to keep it from making noise due to EM interference. No issues now. I also stuffed a couple semi-tubular sections of polyurethane under the tubes to keep the microphonics to a minimum. It rings much less now while I am walking. I decided not to swap out the tubes for now, since I've gotten the sound to where I wanted it.

xh25htfzbyo21.jpg

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #419 of 916
Did ya try it with IEMS??

I would definitely swap out the op amps if you want to use IEMS, I heard the noise floor on 38ohm over the ear cans with the stock op amps.

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #420 of 916
I just finished my B4-X project. I got my Burson V5i-D op amps today and swapped them in for the NE5532s that are in it as stock. The noise floor is no longer an issue and the full range is definitely sounding better at higher volumes with no distortion. I've been listening to it on my Audio Technica ATH-WS1100is' through an Audioquest cable. I used the stock cable from the headphones to connect my phone to the amp's input, which lets me keep the button and microphone functionality, but moves them down the network a bit. It also lets me keep my LG G7 far enough away from the amp to keep it from making noise due to EM interference. No issues now. I also stuffed a couple semi-tubular sections of polyurethane under the tubes to keep the microphonics to a minimum. It rings much less now while I am walking. I decided not to swap out the tubes for now, since I've gotten the sound to where I wanted it.

xh25htfzbyo21.jpg
so the V5i-D x 2 for $69 from Burson correct?

What is the process to swap them? Never done it before

Users who are viewing this thread

Back