portable/sport headphones revised
Nov 5, 2002 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

minh

New Head-Fier
Alright you guys, before you flame me out for not reading previous posts on the Koss KSC 35, i have. I've read about the 50 and 55 too.

It seems like the 50's and 55 aren't getting favorable reviews, in regards to the 35 though.

In your opinions, if i'm looking for a portable headphone for biking/tennis/working out; that kinda stuff, should i scourge the net looking for the 35's or just pick up the 50/55? Or is there another set of active listening headphones out there for under $50 that you'd recommend?

Thanks a lot
-Minh

Nov 5, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 14
I'd go for the 35s. I have the 50s and the Koss KTX Pro 1s, both with the same drivers. To me, the 35s are the best in that price range, and are worth the extra effort. You'll have a classic all-time headphone if nothing else.

50s will flop around while you work out. KTX Pro 1s are $20 at Borders Books and perhaps elsewhere, and would be a good suggestion, were it not for the 35s. My advice is just get the 35s. If you want to get something not as good later then do that, but get the 35s first, while and if you still can.

Nov 5, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 14
If you can find them, for the love of god, get the ksc-35s. Once you put them on, they don't come off, and they sound fantastic! The ksc 50s flop around and come off, and just don't come to the level of the 35s. The 55s, otoh, pinch me.
frown.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 14
thanks for your prompt replies you guys; i really appreciate it.
I found a site that sells them for 38 bucks a piece..sorta steep...i'd pay the $60 for the grado60's; but they're don't seem very appealing for active listening.

anyways, thanks again
ps: if any of you guys bought the 35's in bulk a while back and want to sell a pair to a really nice guy...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 14
http://store.yahoo.com/image-solutio...ksporster.html

i've never ordered from them before, i sure hope that $38.99 includes s+r...

anyways, i was looking around, and i found this too:

" bought two KSC/35 from Wherehouse (a Video rental like BlockBuster) for $19 each on a sale. Fry's currently carry it for $29. Here is another resource I received from Robert:

I found a source for $24.68 ... Media Management (414) 251-5511 they are a wholesaler and don't like to sell just one... but will sell several at that price. I ordered six pairs (good christmas gifts) they also carry the other Koss headphones with that driver at very good prices. You can get the Porta Pro Junior from them for $28.19 or for $30.00 from J&R Music World 1-800-221-8180 . J&R doesn't carry the full line though...just the PPJnr model."

haven't had time to call any of the numbers yet, sorry...

hope this helps-minh

Nov 6, 2002 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 14
It seems that the quote minh lifted is from fixup's site. it was last updated on april of this year... so a while ago. the phone number for the company seems to be out of date or the company went under.

Nov 7, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 14
For $54 is just too much for that flimsy construction quality.

The Senn 497 from Amazon at $43 shipped with $5 rebate is a better "sport" phone.

Yes they don't fold. But they are light, more aesthetic and most importantly carry a better sound. AND they work with portables fabulously.

For sport, they are better as well, as they will do a better job of keeping away the sweat from your ears due to their rubber pads which aren't membrane/absorbant spongy like the Koss.

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 14
Chosen: Point well-taken.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have both. I think I am tending to agree with you.

I've actually been thinking about this exercise stuff. How much can you enjoy high quality sound when you exercise anyway? I tried wearing a pair of headphones while doing the treadmill and it just stressed me out.

Anyway, for $20 you can get the KTX Pro 1s, with the same drivers as the KSC 35s. The KSC 35s sound better. But how good a phone do you need when you're running around? The KSC 35s start to move into major league sond, why waste it by drenching them in sweat? The KTX PRO 1s are light, cheap, portable, and comfortable.

Quote:

Originally posted by TheeeChosenOne
For $54 is just too much for that flimsy construction quality.

The Senn 497 from Amazon at $43 shipped with $5 rebate is a better "sport" phone.

Yes they don't fold. But they are light, more aesthetic and most importantly carry a better sound. AND they work with portables fabulously.

For sport, they are better as well, as they will do a better job of keeping away the sweat from your ears due to their rubber pads which aren't membrane/absorbant spongy like the Koss.

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 14
Isn't Koss having a 2 for 1 sale on the KTX Pro right now? So I think you can get 2 of them for $20, plus the shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back