portable speakers
post-180423
Post #1 of 9

theREALsean

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Not everyone wants to hog all the good tunes to themselves when they are out and about with friends, family, and enemies. That is why I am thinkin' a set (of two) of speakers would be nice. I am looking for something easy to drive, light (as in weight), has a headphone jack on the front and sounds good. I mean gooood. The '35s are the *best* portable headphones around for their money so I am looking for something like the '35s. As in, the value for the price. Make sense?

Note: Not everyone likes the '35s and I am sorry if this upsetted u or anything. I have never heard the '35s but I am in contact with getting a pair.

Another note: the audio surce will be an iPod.

post-180782
Post #2 of 9

theREALsean

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Come on people. Please help me out...

post-180785
Post #3 of 9

Sol_Zhen

Takes his kids to the natatorium every morning.
Reaction score
" am looking for something easy to drive, light (as in weight), has a headphone jack on the front and sounds good. I mean gooood. "

Lower your standards if you're looking for battery powered portable speakers. I've never heard a really good sounding set.
You might be better off with a boom-box for picnics and outdoor trips to the beach, makes carrying it easier.

post-180812
Post #4 of 9

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
Reaction score
Cambridge Soundworks "Works" line (PC Works, SoundWorks, MicroWorks, MegaWorks) can all be battery-powered or powered by your car's accessory jacks.

post-180815
Post #5 of 9

theREALsean

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Okay...what do u reccomend. Anything light weight.

post-219811
Post #6 of 9

PianoBlack

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Tivoli PAL works okay as a portable speaker albeit its monoaurality? Good sound, good volume output... This would be for casual group listening.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, theREALsean--but I definitely would love to hook up my ipod to good portable speaker/s too. I know Ipoding has a brief post on it, but has anyone in head-fi really use the PAL for this purpose (that is, group listening)? What do you think on the PAL's performance then?

...and I'm trying to decide between Red, Yellow and Pearl (but not Ipod) White for the PAL....any help there?

post-219904
Post #7 of 9

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
Reaction score
I already responded to you privately, Piano, but I wanted to respond here as well. The PAL works *great* for this purpose. I use it with my iPod all the time; in fact, the PAL's battery lasts longer than the iPod's
The only downside is getting the iPod's volume control to approximate a line-out. I've found that around 3/4 is about right.

The PAL and iPod together make for a great travel/portable stereo (even though it's mono, I know). Like the guy on the iPodding forum, I'm keeping my eye out for a cool case that would fit the two of them together. I'm thinking of a Pelican case, but I'd rather have a nylon one with a mesh front.

We have the Pearl White and it's very nice. The only reason I'd get a different color is if you're worried about dirt. Then I'd get the brown. I've seen all the colors in person, and the white and brown are the "classiest," although the blue, yellow, and red are cool in a campy sort of way. The black and gray models are boooring

post-220381
Post #9 of 9

Bobby C

Head-Fier
Reaction score
How would taking a decent source PCDP and running it through an integrated amp work for you? Lot's of good small speakers if you go that route....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)