Portable Source for BTR3K - Does it matter?
May 7, 2020 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

snootles

Head-Fier
Hi all,

Hope everyone is keeping well in these strange times!

I am currently using an Iphone 11 > Btr3k > Meze Classic 99 using Spotify and Amazon Music as a portable solution.

As I understand it the Iphone is limited to SBC codec. I have been offered an oldish Motorola G5 which had Android 8 and all bluetooth codecs. Would this be the better option?

As long as the source unit has all codecs to choose from does it matter on the piece of hardware as the BTR3K is the Dac?

May 29, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 4
For me it seems to make a difference.

I have a Galaxy S8 (on Android 9, One UI v1) and a Galaxy S10 (on Android 10, One UI v2.1).

I use LDAC on both with my BTR3k and I notice a sound quality different on the S8 (inferior).

May 29, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 4
Generally speaking it's the codec that matters and there shouldn't be much difference between devices, but it is possible that different implementations could play some role I guess. In the case of LDAC different devices might to default to different bitrates

Apple has AAC btw, not just SBC

For me it seems to make a difference.

I have a Galaxy S8 (on Android 9, One UI v1) and a Galaxy S10 (on Android 10, One UI v2.1).

I use LDAC on both with my BTR3k and I notice a sound quality different on the S8 (inferior).

Are you able to adjust the LDAC bitrate on the S8? It's possible that the S8 is using an adaptive bitrate or defaulting to the lowest LDAC bitrate while your S10 is using a higher bitrate. Not sure how easy that is to adjust on Samsung phones, I think on some Android phones you have to use developer settings to adjust.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back