Portable Rigs and Airport Security
Jan 4, 2002 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

HeadWired

Head-Fier
Has anyone encountered any problems with airport security questioning your portable/peripheral rig? I'm just trying to think ahead on my next trip since my new purchase. I'm the proud new owner of a Cosmic it has that huge orange battery pack, thick connection cable and little black box with dials, switches and red lights. I could certainly see an uninformed airport security guard panicking when they see that.

Jan 4, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 26
Well, whatever you do *DO NOT* pack everything in sillyputty to help with isolation and vibration.

Jan 4, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 26
Bring one of those Pringles canisters filled w/ snakey ribbons that shoot out when you open it. While the guards are distracted by that, you can probably slip the Cosmic through w/o detection.
wink.gif

Actually, I'd either not bring the Cosmic on the plane w/ me, or maybe call ahead and speak w/ a manager before you arrive.

Jan 4, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 26
I've travelled a couple of times recently with a portable rig (780 +TA+ER4-S) and haven't had any problems. I also carry a pair of 888's to use while I'm walking around (safer as I can hear cars etc). At least I can (if needed) let the security people listen to the 888's instead of the ER4's, just to prove it works.

Jan 5, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 26
I went ahead and sent my portable amp ahead of time through USPS back home instead of taking it with me. Didn't want to risk them taking it...not when they were swiping nail clippers and nail files even and scanning wallets as well now.
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 26
You sent it back via USPS?!?! I would think you'd be far more likely to loose it that way.

I keep wondering how much longer it's going to be before someone actually uses an electronic device to smuggle something bad onto a plane. Many electronics have adequate space inside them to hide restricted items (such as razor blades) and yet still have a fully functional device to demonstrate to security personell.

Last time I flew I had my Palm V + Minstrel wireless modem hooked to the bottom. The security guy wanted to see me turn the unit on and have the screen change. What he didn't know is that their was another unit hooked to the bottom of my Palm that has just as much volume inside it as the Palm itself. I could have easily gutted the inside of that modem and filled it with whatever I wanted.

Surely the security experts realize this is a gaping hole in security. Yet they choose to do nothing, probably because it would inconvinence too many customers. So reactionary they are, it's pathetic.

All it would take is one incident like that and they would forbid our portable audio rigs as something that can be carried on. Then we'd all be stuck listing to those wonderful in-flight headphones and music.
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 26
I would'nt try to board a plane or clear airport security with an altoids-type amp.But that's just common sense,right?

Jan 5, 2002 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

You sent it back via USPS?!?! I would think you'd be far more likely to loose it that way.

LOL, actually I was much less likely to have lost it and woulda gotten it faster over to where I was headed than if I had used some gold overnight option from either UPS or Fedex...cause all I was doing was island hopping within Hawaii.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Basically, security, at least within Hawaii and flying around just the Hawaiian islands, was that people were "randomly selected" for a secondary stage of scanning just before getting onboard the plane, and that was where they did the full body sweep and really dug into your carry ons. I didn't get randomly selected...which makes me wonder if I couldn't have just stuffed the controller for my PSOne up with something, or my PSOne for that matter.
rolleyes.gif
As BB says, they're being both thorough and not thorough enough at once.

That Palm situation reminds me of when I was leaving L.A. before 9/11...I had my E900 belted to me with a Servired case, and the security lady required me to open up the thing before she let me through. She saw the minidisc and said "cool" and let me through. So...wonder if you could make stuff small enough to plant into those MD remotes...those remotes even look like detonators.
rolleyes.gif

The tighter the security, the more there'll be people out there that'll deliberately try to do stupid crap I think...kinda like drinking with youngsters. If it's forbidden it must be good stuff noh?
rolleyes.gif
I wonder if there's any "constructive terrorists" as in how they have constructive hackers that are meant to test for security holes.

Jan 5, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 26
>kinda like drinking with youngsters

? I think that buying alcohol for youngsters in front of liquor store might be questionable, but buying alcohol and giving it to your child at home if you so please is not illegal. At least not in any country I've ever been in.

Jan 5, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by aos
I think that buying alcohol for youngsters in front of liquor store might be questionable, but buying alcohol and giving it to your child at home if you so please is not illegal. At least not in any country I've ever been in.

In the U.S. it is
wink.gif
It is illegal for someone under the drinking age to drink, and it is also illegal for someone else to buy/serve/give alcohol for/to someone under that age. But the situation you're talking about is one of those "who's gonna know?" things.

Jan 5, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 26
Yeah, that's why I was drinking under-age... I was... uh... testing the system. That's it! *MOM* I was *TESTING* the weaknesses in the current system!

Jan 5, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 26
You guys bring up good points about the "random" aspect of airport security. But the main point is I just wanted to make sure I can enjoy my "million-and-a-half" dollar system on the plane. I actually work for American Airlines, though not in the Airport operations and I didn't know if anyone had had problems.

I wouldn't want to send it ahead as Vertigo-1 suggested, because I bought the darn thing to use ON a plane. I talked to some people at my office (AA HDQ) and they all said the worst-case is that I would have to unpack and unhook the system so security can x-ray it all separately. Hence, the TWO HOUR check-in time. Plus, they might want me to turn it on so they can hear it work—thanks, Limey for the suggestion about a secondary set of phones. I don’t even let my partner use my Etys—they’re my new babies! Daddy bought, Daddy keeps!

Steven
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
In the U.S. it is
wink.gif
It is illegal for someone under the drinking age to drink, and it is also illegal for someone else to buy/serve/give alcohol for/to someone under that age.

It's not illegal in all states -- the laws vary from state to state, just like the legal drinking age.

Here's some trivia for you. Is it illegal to drive a car barefoot?

Jan 6, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
It's not illegal in all states -- the laws vary from state to state, just like the legal drinking age.

Here's some trivia for you. Is it illegal to drive a car barefoot?

Technically speaking nothing is illegal unless you get caught.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back