portable rig for my daughter - ipod Nano
Feb 25, 2006 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

adriatikfan

New Head-Fier
I've (almost) finally relented and agreed to my daughter jumping on the ipod Nano bandwagon, unless anyone wants to persuade me to spend the same money on a better player with as much street-cred amongst 15 year old girls.

My question is simple: what is the best way of spending my cash. Prices seem to be the same pretty much everywhere for all 3 versions of the Nano.

She will need a case/protective covering of some kind and a set of earbuds (???) that don't scream 'Steal me please'.

Any other neat (affordable) accessories that will get me some serious 'dad-points'.
280smile.gif

MTIA

Best Wishes
David

Feb 25, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 24
Serious "dad points" may become apparent Tuesday.
wink.gif

Apple tends to restrict all its prices within a narrow range, so there tends not to be big sales (unfortunately). There's a student discount on the Apple site (go store then education). For accessories, check out the iLounge Buyers Guide.

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 24
Hmmmm ... is there anything more tyrranical than what 15-year-old girls consider street cred? For example, would she actually use any after-market earbuds/canal phones if you got them? Is she more interested in listening to an iPod ... or letting her friends see that she's listening to an iPod? If she were going to use any other earbuds/canal phones, would they have to be white (if she gets the white Nano ... if she gets the black one, would she want black or white 'phones?)? I don't mean to be condescending -- she might well be a Head-Fi member in the making -- but speaking very generally, there is no more terrifying consumer force than teenagers.

It might be worth a try to get her some white Sony or JVC canal phones, if she wants white, or some Creative, Sony or JVC ones if she wants black, to see if she uses them. If she does, they would sound OK and stay in her ears better than the "buds" that Apple provides. If she doesn't use them, maybe you would have a back-up pair, for emergencies (in which case, maybe go for the new Sennheiser canal phones
evil_smiley.gif
).

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 24
I suspect the reason she wants an ipod rather than an mp3 player is because of the marketing pressure. However, ... she does listen to a fairly wide range of music, loves the first Tracy Chapman album, is always borrowing CKs 'Tapestry' has several Abba CDs and knows the lyrics to every Kelly Clarkson track released thus far. I think I can get her interesetd in even more with time. I'm fairly happy to get her a Nano, probably black, but want to make sure that she can look after it, keep it scratch-free etc., so I need a choice of decent skins and cases maybe and then want some better quality phones than the bundled earbuds. I'll certainly look into the ones you mentioned. Thank you - any advice on cases etc.,

Feb 26, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 24
yes, get the iskin. Simply the best, but the customer support is one of the worst. Not that I had to call/email them ever...

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 24
She sounds like a good kid -- be sure to remind her how lucky she is to be getting a nice toy that plays music (subtly or obviously, whichever you prefer). It's encouraging that she might actually use it to sustain an interest in music.

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 24
Go with the ipod, no doubt. If anything, its so simple to use with itunes that that would be the main reason why she would like it the best. It also doesn't hurt to have something that is considered the "it" thing to have.

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by adriatikfan
I suspect the reason she wants an ipod rather than an mp3 player is because of the marketing pressure. However, ... she does listen to a fairly wide range of music, loves the first Tracy Chapman album, is always borrowing CKs 'Tapestry' has several Abba CDs and knows the lyrics to every Kelly Clarkson track released thus far. I think I can get her interesetd in even more with time. I'm fairly happy to get her a Nano, probably black, but want to make sure that she can look after it, keep it scratch-free etc., so I need a choice of decent skins and cases maybe and then want some better quality phones than the bundled earbuds. I'll certainly look into the ones you mentioned. Thank you - any advice on cases etc.,

Abba? Lol that reminds me of That 70's Show, anyways here's what my girlfriend uses for her nano, http://www.coach.com/aspx/content/pr...58&easyask_id=, it's a bit expensive, not that she cares since I bought it
rolleyes.gif
, but it'll definitely give your daughter more street cred, these are pretty popular with most of the other girls at my school too so she should be set.

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 24
I have an agent 18 hard case on my nano. Works wonders. No scratches on the nano and its a hard case rather than the silicone cases. The nano still fits in my change pocket, I just don't feel like I am going to snap it in half with this case.

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #12 of 24
Look at the thread about the new Samsung player.

Double the iPod battery life and the same functions.
No stupid iTunes to lag your computer to death as well.
Just plain drag and drop.

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 24
But he wants something cool for his daughter, Samsungs are nowhere near as popular as the Ipod no matter what the specs are, p.s. I'm by far not an ipod lover but I'm just telling the truth.

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 24
Yeah his daughter would be no where near as thirlled with a samsung as a nano. I highly reccomend a 4gb nano for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back