Portable player with usb out (to external dac)
Jun 12, 2015 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

delobe

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am not interested in paying for an expensive dac, since I already use an external dac that has a micro usb input. I use this with my smartphone.

I need a portable player that can play high bitrate pcm and dsd source music through the usb into the external dac, like it works with a smartphone.

I guess the portable player only needs to be some sort of OS, player and hardrive combo, minus any expensive DACs. Fed up of having my dac attached to my smartphone the whole time. Can ipods stream music through usb? I just don't know what the options are.

Thanks!

Jun 13, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 4

I am not interested in paying for an expensive dac, since I already use an external dac that has a micro usb input. I use this with my smartphone.
I need a portable player that can play high bitrate pcm and dsd source music through the usb into the external dac, like it works with a smartphone.
I guess the portable player only needs to be some sort of OS, player and harddrive combo, minus any expensive DACs. Fed up of having my dac attached to my smartphone the whole time. Can iPods stream music through USB? I just don't know what the options are.
Thanks!

Budget?

So you want to replace your smartphone, because you do not like having your phone attached to the external DAC.
You want to replace it with something that really provides the same feature you had from the smartphone and it will also be attached to the DAC, just like the smartphone phone is, which you did not like?

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi,

I guess the portable player only needs to be some sort of OS, player and hardrive combo, minus any expensive DACs. Fed up of having my dac attached to my smartphone the whole time. Can ipods stream music through usb? I just don't know what the options are.

Thanks!

Ipods can stream music from its 30pin to usb but you need to have a dac (or dac/amp) device that is apple approved or has an apple license to be able to stream the digital source and encode it to analog. Example of such dacs are Fostex hp-p1, cypher labs, centrance, Etc.

You cannot stream it readily to any kind of dac devices. Hope this helps.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 4
iPod Touch and iPads should be able (with the latest release of iOS) to drive a USB DAC via the camera connection kit. However, the DAC may not draw too much power (or a powered USB hub will be necessary).

The iPod Classic cannot operate in Host Mode, so it will only work with dedicated DACs such as the CLAS, the HP-P1 or various Sony models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back